Gs1100es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1100es

Hey folks....I hope this is the correct place to ask this type of general question. If not, please let me know where the correct forum would be. Anyway, I have an opportunity to but a GS1100ES (I believe it's an '83 but not positive on the year). I'm going to look at it early this week, but would like to know what I should be looking at as far as common problem areas. The bike has been sitting for a while, so I'm sure the carbs will need to be gone through and likely rebuilt. Same for tires and battery, I'm sure. What else should I look at to avoid real expensive repairs? I recall these things being pretty bulletproof, but wanted to bounce this off you GS experts here.

Thanks much!

Warner

There isn't anything particular to worry about. The charging system often takes a dump but it's easy to fix. Just perform a normal assessment and you should be okay.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

That was the first bike a major magazine made it into the 10 second bracket. Honda's 1100 V4 may have been bore powerful, but the 1100ES got into the 10s first. Milestone bike.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        There isn't anything particular to worry about. The charging system often takes a dump but it's easy to fix. Just perform a normal assessment and you should be okay.
        Thanks Ed....I wish I knew of a bike who's charging system DIDN'T take a dump. Seems like I do a voltage regulator on every bike that I buy. I was looking for gotcha' stuff like my 1990 CBR1000F which uses a stator that is year-specific and near impossible to find, and expensive when found. Luckily I found one on Ebay a while back and picked it up cheap "just in case". Hopefully I'll never need it, but it's pretty much the one thing that could take that bike out of commission.

Warner

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
          That was the first bike a major magazine made it into the 10 second bracket. Honda's 1100 V4 may have been bore powerful, but the 1100ES got into the 10s first. Milestone bike.
          Oh yeah, I remember it WELL. I graduated high school in 83 and that was the baddest bike around at the time. Iconic for sure. Just kind of stumbled across this one quite by accident....and what I consider to be CHEAP. Hoping to check it out (and pick it up!) sometime this week. I'll keep you guys posted. Couldn't be worse timing as I'm going through a divorce and already moving stuff to a storage locker, but you have to take advantage of deals when they come up, right?

Warner

Comment

Early 1100E's would sometimes twist their crank, particularly if ridden/launched hard. The 1983 1100E engine is black and comes with a welded crank so no trouble. The early engines also had a smaller taper holding the flywheel on and sometimes those come loose too. Again, with a 1983 model year bike that won't be an issue though. Just make sure what you're getting.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Early 1100E's would sometimes twist their crank, particularly if ridden/launched hard. The 1983 1100E engine is black and comes with a welded crank so no trouble. The early engines also had a smaller taper holding the flywheel on and sometimes those come loose too. Again, with a 1983 model year bike that won't be an issue though. Just make sure what you're getting.
              Thanks Ed....much appreciated!

Warner

Comment

There have been some sweet deals out there but there have also been some funky ones—wrong motor, “E” dressed up like an ES, etc. If you can post pics, the guys here have an eye for detail and may uncover something out of place—or confirm a good find.
                sigpic
                1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                  There have been some sweet deals out there but there have also been some funky ones—wrong motor, “E” dressed up like an ES, etc. If you can post pics, the guys here have an eye for detail and may uncover something out of place—or confirm a good find.
                  +1 (ten letters)

Comment

Will do......but I think this one is legit....original owner....guy pushing 60.....has a couple of bikes and some old moped (I'm going to try to buy it all if the price is right). I'll ask to see the title....that should tell the model correctly I'd think. I'll post pics one way or the other. What's the value range on these things today?

Thanks,

Warner

Comment

Originally posted by Webbie1 View Post
                      Will do......but I think this one is legit....original owner....guy pushing 60.....has a couple of bikes and some old moped (I'm going to try to buy it all if the price is right). I'll ask to see the title....that should tell the model correctly I'd think. I'll post pics one way or the other. What's the value range on these things today?

Thanks,

Warner
                      There is only one yearGS1100ES (with fairing) but it also goes by GS1100ESD with the D standing for 1983.
                      There is also multi-year GS1100E but for 1983 it is GS1100ED.
                      The 1982 is the GS1100EZ (looks like the 83)

A true 1983 ESD will have:

Black motor (with welded crank and bigger cams, Big end crank)
                      83 Frame (compare the 82 and 83 foot pegs) They are different and the frames do not interchange.
                      ESD has Square Gauges v.s. the round ED.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        There is only one yearGS1100ES (with fairing) but it also goes by GS1100ESD with the D standing for 1983.
                        There is also multi-year GS1100E but for 1983 it is GS1100ED.
                        The 1982 is the GS1100EZ (looks like the 83)

A true 1983 ESD will have:

Black motor (with welded crank and bigger cams, Big end crank)
                        83 Frame (compare the 82 and 83 foot pegs) They are different and the frames do not interchange.
                        ESD has Square Gauges v.s. the round ED.
                        Great info! Thanks again...

Warner

Comment

Values have been all over the place. A nice one sold on eBay two or three years ago for $4855 but there was one on Craigslist not too far from here that was very nice but required renovation to safe riding status for $2900. One of the members here, trippivot, recently had a beauty for cheap but I think it’s sold and not sure of the price. Under $2k I think. I think the thing to remember is that the simple issues that must be done to make the bike safe and fun are still costly so that $2900 bike would have needed an easy $1,000-$1,500 in tires, brakes, brake lines, stator, R/R, suspension, and lots and lots of time. At least the ESDs are rare enough to hold their value pretty well. I’ve seen nice EDs go for shamefully low prices.
                          sigpic
                          1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                          1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                          1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                          On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                          All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Values have been all over the place. A nice one sold on eBay two or three years ago for $4855 but there was one on Craigslist not too far from here that was very nice but required renovation to safe riding status for $2900. One of the members here, trippivot, recently had a beauty for cheap but I think it’s sold and not sure of the price. Under $2k I think. I think the thing to remember is that the simple issues that must be done to make the bike safe and fun are still costly so that $2900 bike would have needed an easy $1,000-$1,500 in tires, brakes, brake lines, stator, R/R, suspension, and lots and lots of time. At least the ESDs are rare enough to hold their value pretty well. I’ve seen nice EDs go for shamefully low prices.
                            Again, much thanks. Very helpful information. I'm really looking forward to seeing this bike.

Warner

Comment

+1 on posting pics, we can pretty much disassemble a bike with the power of our minds here.....the es is a terrific bike, not sure if I will ever be able to let mine go...
                              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Working...
                              X