GS shop recommendation east of Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS shop recommendation east of Dallas

I'm fairly certain I'm in need of valve seal replacement on my GS1000. I lack the time to take the job on at this time and am looking for a shop to tackle it for me. I work in east Dallas and live in Greeville, TX.

Any suggestions?

Get ready for sticker shock.

That is, if you even find a shop that will let it through the door. Many shops have a "10-year policy" in force. Anything older than 10 years old is not worked on. There is just too much possibility that something is going to break and will change the job from "flat-rate" to "time and materials". By the time you do T&M on a 40-year-old bike, it can easily exceed the value of the bike.

What you should know is that to change the valve seals, you need to remove the head. Whenever you remove the head, you should also change the base gasket. Whether you also change the rings at that time would be up to you, but be prepared for about $200 for the gaskets (including the valve seals) and probably 4-8 hours of time. You should also note that there are many gaskets and seals that are not part of a gasket set and need to be ordered separately. Those include the tachometer drive seals, cam chain tensioner seals and the tensioner gasket to the block.

Not sure how far you would be willing to take your bike, but member Chuck Hahn works on bikes. He is just south of OKC, about 200 miles north of you.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've changed valve seals without removing heads before. But not a GS. It just requires a compressed air hose modded to fit the sparkplug hole and a lever took to break the retainers loose. But I defer to others experience on the GS since I've only done valve adjustments on it

Comment

On an engine where the valves actually stick up, it's likely possible, but you have to remove the buckets and fabricate something to compress the springs to remove the retainers. Probably not impossible, but working inside the bucket wells and trying not to scratch them certainly makes it a bit more 'interesting'.

Besides using compressed air, I have also heard of it being done by packing some thin rope or string in through the spark plug hole.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I betcha a shop will pull the head.
          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I've done valve seals on a shim-over-bucket engine before (not a GS) using an air hold.

I made a little angled widget out of aluminum bar that bolted to the cam cap holes and compressed the valve springs using a hunk of PVC with a window cut in it to reach the keepers. You could also use a rope in the cylinder to keep the valve from falling.

So yeah, it's possible. And if the head and base gaskets and the rings are OK (assume you've tested leakdown and such?), this would be my first choice method for getting this done.

As far as a shop in your area capable of this sort of thing, I have no idea. Good gravy, there's gotta be an old-school or dragbike shop somewhere in the DFW area.

The thing is, any decent shop (or grumpy old fart in his garage) that actually knows what they're doing will be absolutely covered up with work, so it's probably going to be a while before they can get to you and it won't be too cheap. Maybe hang around some vintage bike nights and ask around -- they don't want to be bothered by every yahoo with a busted sportbike and no money, so these places often aren't in the usual directories. You need to know a guy who knows a guy.

And of course, hopefully there are some GSR folks in that area who know a guy who knows a guy and can PM you some intel.
            Last edited by bwringer; 08-14-2018, 01:58 PM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Its not a daily rider so I'll just put it on the backburner till I can get around to it. It drinks about a quart every 1000 miles. Compression good, nothing at all coming from the crankcase breather. Every once in q blue moon I'll get a little puff of smoke usually after startup.

Comment

Joe Whelan is a member here and owner at VJ MOTO near Dallas. I suggest you get ahold of him ASAP.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                  Its not a daily rider so I'll just put it on the backburner till I can get around to it. It drinks about a quart every 1000 miles. Compression good, nothing at all coming from the crankcase breather. Every once in q blue moon I'll get a little puff of smoke usually after startup.
                  As they say in Aussie land, Crikey, you can not be complaining about a qt. every 1000 miles. Ride the snot out of that sucker. Of course you need to replace the 40 year old stem seals but my 79 model was using a qt. every 350-400 miles. That gets to be embarrassing when you go to rally and you are that guy that's pouring in a quart after your 300+ mile day.

Anyway, good luck to you.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Joe Whelan is a member here and owner at VJ MOTO near Dallas. I suggest you get ahold of him ASAP.
                    First person that came to my mind. I've seen many of his projects on the forum. Hope you follow this lead and he has time for you.
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                      First person that came to my mind. I've seen many of his projects on the forum. Hope you follow this lead and he has time for you.
                      Wow, that place is just a couple miles from my work and I have never heard of him. I may have to stop by.
                      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        Checked out his website last night. Looks like a nice shop. I'll give him a call and see what we can do over there. Even if there is a wait time I'm fine with that, like I said it's not a daily rider but does have sentimental value and I'm willing to spend a bit to keep her on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                          As they say in Aussie land, Crikey, you can not be complaining about a qt. every 1000 miles. Ride the snot out of that sucker. Of course you need to replace the 40 year old stem seals but my 79 model was using a qt. every 350-400 miles. That gets to be embarrassing when you go to rally and you are that guy that's pouring in a quart after your 300+ mile day.

Anyway, good luck to you.
                          I'm used to no oil consumption lol. 4-6,000 miles between changes with no adding oil is normal for me.

Comment

Joe does top-notch work, for sure.
                            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                              I'm used to no oil consumption lol. 4-6,000 miles between changes with no adding oil is normal for me.
                              On which bike?
                              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X