Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 GS850 vs GS1000 parts interchangability (whew)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS850 vs GS1000 parts interchangability (whew)!

Hi Forum Gurus. I have chance to buy a complete 1979 GS850 shaftie as a parts bike due to lost Regi. Would you who are more knowledgeable than I know if the front headlight assembly, exhaust cans, seat and rear shocks are the same and would bolt up to my 1979 GS1000? I'm trying to return mine to stock condition. Mine's the plain jane 79 GS1000 model. Thanks!

Originally posted by Def View Post
    Hi Forum Gurus. I have chance to buy a complete 1979 GS850 shaftie as a parts bike due to lost Regi. Would you who are more knowledgeable than I know if the front headlight assembly, exhaust cans, seat and rear shocks are the same and would bolt up to my 1979 GS1000? I'm trying to return mine to stock condition. Mine's the plain jane 79 GS1000 model. Thanks!
    The head light may be all that is swap-able without modification. The seat hinges are in a different locations, the tank wont fit( I know you didn't ask), the shocks are different(lower eye bolt on G and a clevis type on the 1000. The exhaust may work, but I can't guarantee that the head pipes are the same diameter or spacing.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

The exhaust will not fit without modification. The bolts that hold the pipes to the head have a different spacing, so you will have to slot the holes in the clamps. Not sure about the rear mounts, but those are easy to fab.

Headlight assembly should be the same, right down to the sealed beam headlight.

By the way, this is in the wrong forum. As noted at the top of the forum,
      This forum is meant for questions having to do with the forum itself, not GS related questions.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Oops…..and thanks guys for the info! That clearly answers my query.

Comment

Working...
        X