Two motorcycles riding together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two motorcycles riding together

When my wife and I ride she usually leads and rides in the left side of the lane. I ride behind and in the right side of the lane, your normal staggered setup. When she took the MSF course her instructor said that when riding in a pair it's better to ride one behind the other in order to block the lane. I've always felt that staggered is better but can see the merits of lane blocking as well. So, what's the generally accepted way?

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
    When my wife and I ride she usually leads and rides in the left side of the lane. I ride behind and in the right side of the lane, your normal staggered setup. When she took the MSF course her instructor said that when riding in a pair it's better to ride one behind the other in order to block the lane. I've always felt that staggered is better but can see the merits of lane blocking as well. So, what's the generally accepted way?
    Blocking the lane from whom? Which side? Are you talking about a four lane rd?
    No signature

Comment

That doesn't make sense. One behind on the other to block lane? How can you block lane unless they mean to ride close enough that no one can come between the two riders...as to split the riders away from each other? That still doesn't make sense. Staggered and off-set is the way to go!

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Charmayne and I ride staggered so we both can see the road in front of us without obstruction, react to obstacles as needed separately and without surprising the person behind, and keep a better eye on each other. Now, once we get into the twisties we will ride more in line with each of us riding our own ride.

I've also ridden this way with others too over the last few years
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I think that guy must be new. Why would anyone want their view obstructed? Even if I come up on another rider I don't know, I stagger to whatever side they aren't and do the same if someone comes up behind me. The last thing I want is the rider behind me slamming into me if I need to hit the brakes hard.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

One bike behind the other can actually block the lead bike from the view of a motorist approaching from the rear. Riding in staggered formation will present TWO bikes into the view of said motorist.

Likewise, to someone approaching from the front, having TWO headlights in view from staggered bikes will make you more visible.

And, ... I have never seen anything that expressed a preference to which track the lead bike should be in. I have always preferred to have the lead bike in the LEFT track. My reasoning (however flawed it might be) is that, to someone that might be passing your little group, the lead bike is VERY visible. If the lead bike is in the right track, it might be hidden by the second bike (in the left track) and the passing car might pull over too soon.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I haven't ridden with anyone lately, but back in the day, we rode staggered. Seemed to make more sense, visibility-wise. In addition, if the rider in the other part of the lane has to stop suddenly, you won't rear-end him.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
              Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

I'm with you,Skinner.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

You would wonder what he meant by behind, was it just not abreast, he didn't mean line astern.
                  Staggered is a no-brainer on straights as long as you remember that the lead bike has right of way.
                  I get cut up from behind by fast stranger bikes in traffic and it scares the hell out of me.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Staggered is how I learned many years ago, and how I’ll continue to ride. I thought perhaps the MSF instructor had updated information that I wasn’t aware of, but I can see that’s not the case.

Comment

Although they <are> "MSF trained", there is a certain amount of individuality that comes through from time to time.

A bunch from our Goldwing chapter signed up for an Experienced Rider Course. We had 12 sign up, so we had the entire class. Our two instructors both happened to ride Harleys. We don't know if their instructions as we approached the riding range were from personal experience or a delightfully-warped sense of humor, but they INSISTED that everybody check their oil level before getting out on the range. Despite our collective insistance that they were Goldwings and did not leak or use oil, they insisted. They then had the pleasure of watching 12 guys get their Wings up on the centerstand and remove two pieces of plastic, just to access the dipstick. As I said, I don't know if they were simply used to checking the oil on their Harleys or if they actually knew what it takes to check the oil on a Wing.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Funny story, Steve. They seemed biased of their bikes but then again, so was the entire class of Wing riders.

I'm wondering if they instructed bad habits in the class too. That would be interesting because of the level of experience in the room.

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

The correct answer is, of course, that each rider independently positions themselves where they have the best total odds of survival, factoring in seeing, being seen, threats from the left, right, ahead, behind, etc.

You can't make a hard-and-fast rule about this.

Yes, you sometimes end up staggered, especially in traffic, so you can see and be seen. Sometimes not.

The point is, each rider ALWAYS does what's best for them individually. And that requires leaving plenty of room to maneuver independently at all times. The only time you should ever be side-by-side is perhaps when you're stopped at a light, where bunching up can help make sure you all get through the light.

For example, if you're out riding in the countryside, the safest place for everyone to be is often on the left, so you have a few additional microseconds to deal with threats from your right (like critters in the road, gravel, etc.). So you spread out, at least a school bus of space between each rider, and position yourselves where you can see the best.

In traffic, the considerations above become a little less important - you can usually see to your right better, and other traffic is now your worst danger. So you often position yourselves in a stagger to look a little "bigger" to other traffic. And sometimes it's a little safer to behave as a unit, sometimes not. So you might have to tighten up and ride a little closer so cars perceive you.

It's a bit of an art, and you have to make decisions independently instead of blindly following rules. We've found very consistently in various rallies that people are a lot safer when they can spend all their processing power on riding their own ride and as little as possible on group dynamics. Smaller groups are always better.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

That all depends on which side of the road you drive on of course !

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                              I'm wondering if they instructed bad habits in the class too. That would be interesting because of the level of experience in the room.
                              No, the information presented was good, and it was presented well. The instructors use their bikes to demonstrate the skills that will be worked on next, and those were also presented well. One instructor was on a full-dresser, the other was on someting smaller, not sure if it was a bagger or not, but even a full-dressed Harley can navigate the course quite well in the hands of a capable rider.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X