What happened to all the 1000cc bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to all the 1000cc bikes?

I thought I might be imagining it and I didn't gather statistics but .. I have been watching my local craigslist and a few other sources for about a year and a half looking for a new project.

I am looking for another 80's late 70's bike and it seems that all the manufacturers are represented really well in the 700-750cc bikes but the larger bikes are pretty scarce.

Did people just keep those, did they just get beat to death or did they just not produce them in the same numbers? Just a curious observation.

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
    I thought I might be imagining it and I didn't gather statistics but .. I have been watching my local craigslist and a few other sources for about a year and a half looking for a new project.

I am looking for another 80's late 70's bike and it seems that all the manufacturers are represented really well in the 700-750cc bikes but the larger bikes are pretty scarce.

Did people just keep those, did they just get beat to death or did they just not produce them in the same numbers? Just a curious observation.
    Lots here....
    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
      Lots here....
      Maybe its just my search parameters then? I have it set for 650cc> and a cap at $3000. Maybe the larger CC bikes even the older ones are breaking that ceiling?

Honda nighthawks, GS's and Yamahas a plenty but like I said mainly in the 750cc range. I still may just try to land another 750 just to redo from the ground up after being inspired by one of the threads here.

Comment

Liter bikes cost more, so smaller cc bikes sell much better. Same now, same as back in the day.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

They're being shipped back to Japan. I heard bikes over 700cc back in the 70's and 80cs were illegal in Japan. Not sure if that's true or not but I see a transport trailer a few times a year at my neighbors house with at least 20 vintage bikes on it headed for the coast, to be shipped over there.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
            They're being shipped back to Japan. I heard bikes over 700cc back in the 70's and 80cs were illegal in Japan. Not sure if that's true or not but I see a transport trailer a few times a year at my neighbors house with at least 20 vintage bikes on it headed for the coast, to be shipped over there.
            That is really interesting!

Comment

Yes...it's true. Ironic as it is...The Japanese were not allowed to own the bikes they sold to the rest of the world. Now the rules have changed and they can....they are now buying shipping containers of these bikes in any condition from all over the world....for big bucks too!
              No signature

Comment

Here's one of those trailer loads.

Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Oh man, I have such mixed feelings about that. It sucks for those of us who actually want to keep riding them, and continue to have access to affordable donor parts. But at least they're going home, where they'll probably have a better "second life" than they would have being hacked up into cafe racers or bobbers or whatever ends up being the next American fad.

Personally, I ended up with a G because the shafties (both from Suzuki and Kawasaki) were the only liter bikes that I'd occasionally find at a bargain price (in addition to the "customs", of course). I suspect they're not on the "hot" list for repatriation.
                  80 GS1000GT
                  Past bikes:
                  82 GS750E
                  92 VFR750
                  85 CB650

Comment

A few years ago I sold a tatty Suzuki GT550 to someone on that side of the planet. Shipping cost more than the bike. But to him it was a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                      Maybe its just my search parameters then? I have it set for 650cc> and a cap at $3000. Maybe the larger CC bikes even the older ones are breaking that ceiling?
                      Take off the >650cc cap...not everyone puts in the cc's, and if they don't put anything in that field you won't see it. I think $3k is realistic.

Comment

Dont forget about the 700+cc motorcycle tariff. That somewhat choked off supply of big bore bikes that weren't Harleys

Comment

Here's one of those trailer loads.

I think I may have seen that guy in FL a year ago.
                          GSRick
                          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

To become this....lol

No signature

Comment

Worse yet, to become this:

Comment

Working...
                              X