Suzuki Fork mystery - GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki Fork mystery - GS850

Anyone know what model Suzuki these forks are off? I got them with the GS850 parts bike i bought but they are not from a GS850 1980 model as the brakes don’t fit the mounts. Issue is the brakes don’t fit, and the speedo sender is fouling on the fork leg in it’s natural rear facing position.

C0B6B8EB-00B9-4531-B18B-2DE0F8975491.jpg

Those <could> be off an 850, but they would be the "L" model, because they have the leading axle.

The caliper mounts will be different, as will the speedo drive and fender.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Looks like my GS850L fork.
      Originally posted by Xwagon View Post
      Anyone know what model Suzuki these forks are off? I got them with the GS850 parts bike i bought but they are not from a GS850 1980 model as the brakes don’t fit the mounts. Issue is the brakes don’t fit, and the speedo sender is fouling on the fork leg in it’s natural rear facing position.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56233[/ATTACH]
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks lads, now looking for a set of ‘G’ forks as i prefer these over the leading axle type and can use my already rebuilt calipers.

Comment

It's not a matter of "preference", it's a matter of "what fits".

There is nothing inherently wrong with leading-axle forks, as long as the rest of the steering mechanism matches them.

Last edited by Steve; 10-11-2018, 06:58 PM.
          sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Yup. Are you positive the rest of the bike is a G and not a GL?
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Preference is king in this instance, but the fitment issue drove me to insanity

Comment

Good question, actually not sure, i believe (totally unfounded) from the forks back, the chassis and running gear are all the same...just the handle bars and seat amongst other little things i imagine. Most of the bike has been rebuilt it’s custom or new parts so it would be hard to identify the actual model looking at it now without checking out the chassis/VIN number.

Comment

Gauges?
                  Gas tank size/shape?
                  Front mounting location for gas tank?
                  Side cover shape/mounting?
                  Stepped or flat seat?
                  What's behind the seat? Is it a painted body panel over a plastic fender or is it a chrome fender?

Yeah, some of those might have been changed during customization, but not all of them.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Yep, the frames and other bits of the body are different.

A chrome rear fender is a big indicator you've got a GL and not a G.

Another is little plastic covers screwed to the frame just behind the steering stem; this indicates a GL. On a G, the tank sits a little further forward so there are no covers here.

Here are pics of two 1983 models that will give you some more visual indicators of the differences.

Here's a 1983 GS850GL:

The rack and sissy bar are '80s aftermarket.

Here's my 1983 GS850G:

Again, rack, floppy trunk bag, and doofy air seat are aftermarket... also, the stock G headlight is black plastic with a chrome ring, and mine is an all chrome replacement. Also, in this photo my G is wearing black plastic aftermarket front turn signals. OEM were chrome like the rear. And it's facing the other direction. And a few other odds and ends are a little different, like missing reflectors up front and missing seat grab bar.

The exhausts on the GL and G are a little different as well -- the end of the GL exhaust has six little "pea shooter" tubes surrounding the central hole, and the G has one central hole and is overall a little longer. Hard to see in these side shots.

There are several other detail differences, but that should at least enable you to figure out what you have. And of course if you can post a few pics, the GSR Hive Mind will probably be able to instantly ID your bike.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 10-15-2018, 02:00 PM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                    X