What you guys like/hate about the 450?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you guys like/hate about the 450?

Anything I should know about the 450 line? Guy at work says his dad has one in the shed, hasn't seen daylight since the 90s. Worth taking a stab at?
    Thanks in advance fella's

Originally posted by Fish View Post
    Anything I should know about the 450 line? Guy at work says his dad has one in the shed, hasn't seen daylight since the 90s. Worth taking a stab at?
    Thanks in advance fella's
    Which model and what year. I've only had on 450 and it was the sport model with the factory cafe fairing. It was a fun bike to ride and even though it was a little small for me and my taste. it wasn't too small and the flat long seat allowed me to slide back for more room. The only thing I didn't like was the weird petcock.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I've never heard of anything to "hate" except generally the old regulators on all Suzukis from the 80's... "suspension" is a common upgrade too.

But browse through the twins section...and everything really because all our Suzukis have much in common.

Comment

My only criticism of the 450 is that the seat is bolted on instead of hinged. Getting to the battery is annoying because of having to remove the hold down bolts for the seat, rear fender and grab rail. If you're using a standard/top off with water
        type battery, checking electrolyte level is a pain in the butt.

I'm 5'9"+ and they fit me fine, but if you're 6'5", you would probably feel like a monkey on a football. heh
        Last edited by earlfor; 09-13-2018, 03:56 PM.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The only thing I don't like about the 450 is that I don't have one! Everything ive read makes me think it would be a great bike. you should go look at it for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            My only criticism of the 450 is that the seat is bolted on instead of hinged. Getting to the battery is annoying because of having to remove the hold down bolts for the seat, rear fender and grab rail. If you're using a standard/top off with water
            type battery, checking electrolyte level is a pain in the butt.

I'm 5'9"+ and they fit me fine, but if you're 6'5", you would probably feel like a monkey on a football. heh
            Easy fix. Just saw open the bottom of the seat mounting tabs so you can lift it off after just loosening the bolts.

The battery comes out the side with the seat still on.....but the seat has to come off to remove the tank.
            '82 GS450T

Comment

450cc is only 41% of 1100cc.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Fuzzy math.... 448 vs 1074...... I'm not doing the math.....
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I haven't seen one for sale near me in decades that wasn't thrashed. It won't cost a penny less to paint or fix charging issues, or ignition, or switches, or brakes, or seat cover than it would to do those things on a GS1000C. The chance of not losing your butt would be less though. That said, it isn't like decent GS1000s, other than the S, are worth a lot of money either. If it is an L, it will be hard to sell to an enthusiast at any price, unless he has a short wife who wants a light bike.

I've never ridden one, but I really liked the S when it was new. The later version, that lookslike a smaller '82/'83 1100E, looks fantastic. Here is an old Cycle World road test:

SEDAYUBET adalah situs judi slot online terpercaya, memiliki game slot88 gacor terbaru gampang menang server nexus slot super gacor, peluang besar dapat jackpot maxwin.

Pretty fast, getting into the 13s inthe quarter.
                  Last edited by 850 Combat; 09-14-2018, 01:39 PM.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Interesting. I typically see several every year on local CL (set to 200 miles from home). Some nice, some hacked. Agreed on the typically low pricing. The ones I see for sale tend to hang around for a while.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

I'm hoping to find a gem i can get up and running quickly. My other bike, 650, has been put on hold. The K &N filters threw me for a loop, carbs are not right. Hoping this 450 is an all original with all original parts and airbox.

The gem part may wishful thinking. Apparently they are wanting to tear the shed down very soon so makes me wonder how saved from the elements the bike might be. Don't know what model yet, will look at it hopefully Sunday and report back in.

Comment

Here’s a nice one near me.
                        sigpic

Glen
                        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                          I'm 6'4" when I ride my 1100G, I look like some other blokes on a 550, not my fault!!!
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                            I'm 6'4" when I ride my 1100G, I look like some other blokes on a 550, not my fault!!!
                            I wasn't inferring that anything was anyone's "fault". lol
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I'm still lovin' my 450... owned it since '98, rebuilt it, over 80,000kms since the rebuild and she's still going strong.

Things to hate? Well, the clutch pushrod setup I don't particularly like going through the sprocket cover, the stock carbs are painful to sort out if the diaphragms perish, and if the ignitor is dead then it can be tricky getting a replacement as that particular one was only used on a handful of models. I'm talking about the 80 - 82 models of 450 here, 83 onwards got different ignition with electronic advance and different carbs too.

Good news though is a lot of GS500 stuff will bolt straight on, like carbs, ignition, so those problems are easy fixed.

Mine gets me to work and back every day and also provides plenty of fun out in the twisties on the weekends too.
                              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                              X