Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you recommend the Morgan Carbtune Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you recommend the Morgan Carbtune Pro?

I'd like your experience/opinions on the Morgan carbtune Pro. I have an old mercury gauge I've used for decades but I'm interested in the Morgan.
    If you own this tool or have seen it used, is it a quality built tool and is it reasonably accurate? Anything you'd like to share about this tool? It's available at the Morgan website (England) for about $97 which they say includes shipping. Did you buy from them without any shipping problems?
    I appreciate your help.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

I bought one from them several years ago and I find it works great. It came with a nifty storage pouch that holds the gauge, hoses and a few other odds and sods I've added such as short piece of vacuum line for installing and removing the adapters as well as a clear hose for checking float heights. Only down side is that it came with plastic (of some sort) adapters rather than brass ones but so far so good, just be careful with them I guess. It's nice not having to find a safe place to hang it when not being used. Just put back in it case and toss it on the shelf.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I think the Morgan Carbtune is the best one out there. I got mine used on ebay. The other common choice is the SyncPro from MotionPro, which I had and sold-- it was garbage. I bought the brass adapters for the Carbtune from Z1 Enterprises.
      Regards,
      Jason

Comment

Had mine for years, works well. I also started with the MotionPro - SyncPro, and it did work, but not even close to the Carbtune. Just get the brass MotionPro fittings from Z1...
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Yep I have one, works great. No probs with shipping.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Wish I could comment on the performance of the carbtune, but I haven’t had a chance to use it yet. I can say that it seems solid and shipping was prompt considering how far it traveled.
            -1980 GS1100 LT
            -1975 Honda cb750K
            -1972 Honda cl175
            - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

What’s wrong with the mercury gauge? I’d think that’s pretty much the standard.
              -1980 GS1100 LT
              -1975 Honda cb750K
              -1972 Honda cl175
              - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

I bought one in 2009 direct from the manufacture. As others have stated, works great. The pouch keeps it organised and protected.
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                  Old tech
                  Morgan and electronic are new tech
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    Old tech
                    Morgan and electronic are new tech
                    In this case is newer better for measuring simple vacuum?
                    ive got the mercury set as well, considering the Morgan if it’s a real upgrade...I’ve only ever used mercury
                    1978 GS750E (barn find and current project)
                    1997 Electra Glide
                    1983 Goldwing

Comment

Get the Morgan, you'll love how easy it is to use; just do what Baatfam suggested and get the brass tubes from Z1
                      sigpic
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                        I'd like your experience/opinions on the Morgan carbtune Pro. I have an old mercury gauge I've used for decades but I'm interested in the Morgan.
                        If you own this tool or have seen it used, is it a quality built tool and is it reasonably accurate? Anything you'd like to share about this tool? It's available at the Morgan website (England) for about $97 which they say includes shipping. Did you buy from them without any shipping problems?
                        I appreciate your help.
                        I have a Morgan Carbtune. I have a Mercury gauge (with SIX columns ). I have a Motion Pro gauge with the blue fluid. I have a Suzuki tool with the four balls. I think that's about all, except for the analog dials, and I'll pass on those.

No problems to speak of with the Carbtune. Most will complain about the plastic fittings (they are supposedly a heat-resistant nylon) and recommend the brass fittings from Z1. Since my Mercury gauge came with aluminum fittings, I use them, and have not had to get the brass ones from Z1. I got my Carbtune used, it did not come with the case, so can't comment on that part. I don't know if the hoses come precut or if you have to cut them yourself. If you have to cut them, make two of them about 6 inches longer than the other two. That helps to reach to carbs on the other side of the bike.

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                        Yes, Mercury is the standard by which all other gauges are calibrated. However, in a shop environment, it is simply too easy to slip or accidently tip it below horizontal, releasing a very toxic material.

With my list of gauges above, I'll have to tell you, when I am doing a bike in my own shop, I reach for the Mercury gauges. If I am going on the road, I'll grab the Carbtune, it's just SO much easier and safer to transport.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've had mercury gauges and the carbtune for about 18 years. Once I got the carbtune, I never touched the mercury again.
                          The carbtune is more accurate, and easier to use. you can leave the hoses the length the carbtune comes with. Trimming the hoses makes no difference. It measures vacuum which does not change with hose length. The reading will be the same on a 6" hose or a 20' hose. The hoses are connected to the intake side/carb side, which stays cool, so the fiber filled nylon screw in connectors do not need replacing with metal connectors. I found a drawback to the metal connectors anyhow. They have a "O" ring seal and must be tightened to compress the "O" ring to keep from leaking. The furnished fiber filled connectors seal with only a finger tight screw in pressure. Do not use a wrench on them. Over tightening nylon threads will strip them. Once I have the vacuum hoses connected on a Morgan, I can synch 4 carbs absolutely perfectly in less than 60 seconds. Don't waste your money on anything else. I give it 5 stars. I bought mine direct from England and had it at my door in a week. Best tune up tool I ever bought!

'
                          Last edited by earlfor; 09-20-2018, 12:22 AM.
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                            Just get the brass MotionPro fittings from Z1...
                            When I bought my Carbtune Pro 2 years ago, it came with brass adapters:

IMG_20180920_064956.jpg

Which is what's shown on their website as well. So I'd say that's no longer a concern, unless you're buying used. No shipping problems, and though I don't remember how long it took to ship, I recall being surprised at how quickly it arrived.

I'm very pleased with mine -- as others have said, it's simple, and works great. I can't comment on accuracy, as I haven't compared it against my single vacuum gauge (but it would be an interesting test). But since we're not concerned about the absolute read, but instead the relative difference between cylinders, it seems accurate enough based on the results I got. I do appreciate the fact that I don't have to calibrate it.

The only minor problem I had was that the included tubing tended to soften with heat, which makes it easy to tear them when removing them from the fitting. But, since it used the same tubing as the vacuum lines on my GS, and I had a bunch extra lying around, it was no big deal for me. I'd suggest letting everything cool down before pulling them off.
                            Last edited by ChrisMA; 09-20-2018, 07:12 AM.
                            80 GS1000GT
                            Past bikes:
                            82 GS750E
                            92 VFR750
                            85 CB650

Comment

Most of the reasons it's the best choice have been covered. Mercury gauges are NLA for very good reasons; that stuff is horribly toxic.

I find the Morgan much easier to use because the readings are a lot more stable; the rods jump around a hell of a lot less than mercury.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X