Totally dead - need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally dead - need help

So last night I killed the GS1000G and had to wait for a relay truck to get me home.

I was doing 80 down the motorway just about to overtake a caravan and then a big backfire lost all power, so moved over to the hard shoulder. Still rolling under my own momentum pulled in the clutch, turned off the ignition and turned it back on. Let out the clutch and was bale to bump start the bike again.

However right down on power, I was able to nurse it along the breakdown lane. It wouldn't do more than 40mph and if I tried to give it any more gas it would just backfire and lose whatever momentum I had. I eased it along for about 6 miles till I got to the services (rest stop).
    I pulled into the car park with is still running and got off. I checked over the bike, made sure I had lights, brake lights, flashers, horn so that I was safe as I was considering continuing my journey tentatively as I was only about 8 miles from home.

However I'm not sure what happened next, I may have knocked the kill switch when I checked the headlight and the bike died. At that point it was totally dead, no ignition light, no anything.

I called for breakdown recovery, but had a couple hours to kill till they arrived. I took off the side panels, checked the fuses and looked all around for any obvious problems, loose wire or any signs/smell of burning etc. I had basic tools in the rear storage so was able to lift the tank out the away and check the wires there and the coils, not that I really knew what I was checking for, but I guess if I'd seen a break in a wire at least I'd know.

But nothing obvious. I got trailered home and shoved the bike away in the garage for further investigation. It was last by then, and I've had to take the car to work today so haven't had chance to diagnose anything further. But can anyone point me towards where I should start?

I'm wondering if I've totally killed the battery, it seems strong enough but I don't know the history of it. So I'll hook up another battery and see but I would expect some life not complete shut down.

I also guess I could have killed a coil, or both but again I don't see how that would knock out the ignition light. Again any fault in the start button or kill switch I assume would prevent it from starting but I'd still have the ignition light on.

Check the battery for charge. Make a note of the voltage and then charge it up, preferably off the bike.
    There are a number of scenarios for what you describe but there is little as futile as troubleshooting with a flat battery.
    A possible scenario is that the charging has stopped. You were running on battery but eventually one coil stopped working and the unburned fuel ignited in the exhaust. You bump started now on only two cylinders but the bike eventually stopped, kill switch maybe, maybe just not enough left in the battery.
    The battery is flat.
    See what I did there? Theories out of the blue with no measurements. Don't do that
    If it is flat and you get it charged up, do the quick tests in Posplayr's sig and get back with the results.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks Brendan, that's certainly the direction I'm planning to take and will start by assessing the charge if any in the battery.

If the battery is totally dead then I guess I need to find out if the battery is the problem or the charging system... or both. I'll probably go for a new battery anyway for piece of mind.

Comment

Maybe the ignitor burned out. Or the sensors at the crank. I wouldn\t expect the bike to die with a bang because of charging...symptoms show up before a BANG but it might kill things if the regulation failed. a dried up battery would be a strong clue in this direction.
        Cam chains skip but I can't see you getting going again as you were able to.

Anyways it's bad news and I'm glad YOU'RE ok anyways...that could have turned out worse by the sound of it.
        Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-28-2018, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Yeah glad I wasn't in the outside lane with a large truck between me and the side, or worse had any kind of lock up. I did a top end rebuild last winter and although I probably should have replaced the timing chain what was there was OK and no sign of it skipping.

I feel fairly strongly that it's electrical related, however electrics are my worst area. I don't understand them or know how to diagnose them.

Apart from sticking a multi-meter across the battery I have no idea how to diagnose a burned ignitor (what even is an ignitor?) and a failed sensor would surly account for it not running but wouldn't wipe out all electrics would it? The regulator is that thing with cooling fins under the battery housing isn't it. How would I know if that's failed?

Comment

eddypeck, you can do it. I was in the same boat as you end of June this year. Didn't know anything about the elecrtical system of my bike. The people here will help you get through it if you follow steps. You must start with a new, charged, or known good battery. Then do the quick test in the link below. You will refer to this often. If you don't understand something, ask a question here. Don't be shy. You won't be laughed off the forum for not knowing how to read a meter or know what a ignitor is or does. Listen to the advise of posplayr. I'm sure he'll chime in here once you post your first quick test numbers.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks, so far in my first year of ownership I've already had many first times.

1st top and rebuild with new head and base gaskets after an oil leak, and 1st valve clearance check.
              1st fork rebuild with new springs and fork seals, got one weeping a bit so I'll be getting to enjoy that job for a 2nd time soon.
              And
              1st time doing a rewiring for a faulty indicator switch, I have bypassed the self cancelling control box - I am fairly sure what I've done isn't related to this fault but you never know I might find out I made an epic mistake.

Thanks for this link, I'll work through it .... obviously at this stage I won't be able to do the draw checks with the motor running, but if I do mange to get it started of a donor battery or whatever I'll have things to look for.
              Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Then you're ahead of me in some things. I took care of the charging system. This winter I intend to do a bunch of those other things for the first time. Stuck or broken exhaust header bolts, base, head, and valve cover gaskets, valve adjustment, fork seals. There's never a shortage of things that need to be addressed on these old bikes. Good Luck.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

haha, just reminded me of a few other firsts... 1st time using helicoil to redo exhaust bolt threads in the head, 1st time welding stainless to patch the muffler! at 44 years old I thought I'd finished all my learning. Apparently not!

Comment

Originally posted by eddypeck View Post
                    ... I have no idea how to diagnose a burned ignitor (what even is an ignitor?) ...
                    You mentioned you know virtually nothing about electrics. Do you have at least a basic concept of how the ignition system works with points and coils?

In a nutshell, current flows from the battery, through the coils, through the points to ground. The flowing current sets up a magnetic field in the iron core of the coil. When the points open, current stops flowing and the magnetic field collapses. When the field collapses, a secondary current is amplified in the secondary windings of the coil to create the thousands of volts that go to the spark plugs. When the points close, the magnetic field is created and the process is repeated.

Your "ignitor" is simply a box of transistors that replaces the points. That's all. Nothing fancy. It does not really 'ignite' anything, it just switches the current that goes through the coils. It is often called a "CDI", but that is very incorrect. Common, but wrong.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks, Steve. Now my head hurts.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Eddy,

Good that you made it to side of road.

One thing I can definitely say: The Kill switch only effects the ignition (coils, igniter) and the starter solenoid. Will have no effect on the headlight nor the signal circuits.

Do I understand properly that you are describing two situations? 1) Sometimes is completely dead, no power anywhere, no lights no anything? And 2) other times you do have power but barley runs?
                        I understand that both occurred, but which is it now?
                        Which is it that we are troubleshooting at the present?
                        (The post title is "totally dead", but lets verify that point.)

Other question, Do you have any sort of volt meter (multi meter)... or at least a test lamp probe....?
                        (Other than just changing the main fuse, most any troubleshooting will require some sort of power tester.)

Lot of folks here willing to help.
                        (And most of them do know what they are talking about.)
                        Last edited by Redman; 09-29-2018, 02:09 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

First chance I’ve had to take a look.

Yes i I have a multi-meter. Battery is at 12.8v so not a charging issue I assume. Battery was obviously getting charge right up to the failure. I was expecting it to be zero.

the first issue was a loss of power/performance but was still running. But shortly after pulling over and getting off with the engine still running. The bike cut out. At that point all life was lost, no electrics at all, no ignition light of anything - hence totally dead.

what I’m not sure of is if I knocked the kill switch when it stopped or if whatever failure was happening reached the next level and took out something else.

I know what the kill switch does under normal circumstances so I know it wouldn’t directly kill off everything else. But wasn’t sure what circuit it might effect if it had tripped out.

I’ll get the battery out and on a trickle charger for further diagnostics, hopefully I’ll get chance to did deeper this coming week.

Comment

So, although the visible check on the fuses seemed all was ok this furs had failed in unexpected manner.

2346FA49-22A3-4A7F-A5D2-BE26065873C3.jpg

So i do I have my electrics back, now on to the initial problem... why did I lose power, which I suspect was the failure of a coil leaving me running on two cylinders.

ill test that theory when I have a bit more time by looking for a spark.

Comment

Originally posted by eddypeck View Post
                              So, although the visible check on the fuses seemed all was ok this furs had failed in unexpected manner.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56374[/ATTACH]

So i do I have my electrics back, now on to the initial problem... why did I lose power, which I suspect was the failure of a coil leaving me running on two cylinders.

ill test that theory when I have a bit more time by looking for a spark.
                              All too common failure with glass fuses these days. Maybe they don't make them like they used to. It's common to find new fuses with the end caps loose and very poor soldering. Which fuse was that?
                              Coils are fairly tough, failure is rare. Wiring to the coils would be more promising place to start, particularly the plugs under the tank.They can look ok but hide a whole mess of corrosion.
                              I don't like co-incidences and would be keeping an eye out for a common cause here.
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous
                              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                              X