850G is dead, what next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850G is dead, what next

my 850G met a bad fate at the hnds of a lumber truck on a worksite, now new bike will be on agenda. i know a guy in little rock that has 2 bikes, 650 shafty GS, 82 and 78 kz650 chain. what you think of these? my bike goes with me in a work van year roound, both easier or less heavy than the 850G to load. both have pretty much flat seating which is what I like. i saw them both in person but at the time i was not in market for a bike so did not pay too much attention. both are $1k, take my pic. i will be back working in LR 8-10th of oct. anyone know enogh about these too compare?

How tall are you? What model gs650, dual front discs? My 650L still runs well at 58k miles...drive train all original. Perfect for me at 5'7"
    Last edited by tom203; 09-29-2018, 01:54 PM.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

With about any UJM:
      - an 82 will have electronic ignition and halogen headlight (I know a 650G will)
      - 78 will have breaker points and sealed beam headlight and still have a kick start (my 79 kz400 did).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

i go 6' 2". the GS is a gs650G, not l model, has a the mostly flat seat

kawa does have kick lever that i rememeber. guess elect. ign over points is good. i don't think i'll go wrong either way i guess

Comment

To date I have had 2 '82 650L's. Same everything as the G just different ergonomics... Great bikes. Bullet proof, with enough power and top end to keep you smiling. I have also had a couple late 70's KZ's. Not nearly as reliable as a GS, by any means.
          I would go for thew 650G, on a plus side, any salvageable parts from your 850 may be useful...

On that note... How bad is the 850?
          '83 GS 1100T
          The Jet

sigpic
          '95 GSXR 750w
          The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Just get another 850G. Problem solved.

Comment

If I were loading and unloading a bike that I take with me everywhere, I'd look at things like a KLR or a DR650.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                To date I have had 2 '82 650L's. Same everything as the G just different ergonomics... Great bikes. Bullet proof, with enough power and top end to keep you smiling. I have also had a couple late 70's KZ's. Not nearly as reliable as a GS, by any means.
                I would go for thew 650G, on a plus side, any salvageable parts from your 850 may be useful...

On that note... How bad is the 850?
                850 not longer rolling under it own power, everything back of tank got mangled good. lumber guy loaded on his flatbed with his donkey and they took it back to their yard, ill get it another time or maybe never. paid me 1300 for the damage, i felt fair but maybe i was to nice

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  If I were loading and unloading a bike that I take with me everywhere, I'd look at things like a KLR or a DR650.
                  dont like either one , look terrible. never liked dirtbikes never rode one never will. im sure your right on loading aspect though

i decided to get the gs again, guess i stay in the group. going to have to off load the fairing /shield detup. i'll pick up tomorrow or day after

Comment

Some Kawasakis require a cam removal for a valve adjustment. I don't want to do that.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                    X