83 gs750e flywheel removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs750e flywheel removal

I am replacing the flywheel on my 83 gs750e and am trying to figure out what is the right puller to get. Does anyone know or have any advice on doing it? I have already gotten the bolt out and just need to pull the flywheel.

Thank you for any help.

Originally posted by rushton75 View Post
    I am replacing the flywheel on my 83 gs750e and am trying to figure out what is the right puller to get. Does anyone know or have any advice on doing it? I have already gotten the bolt out and just need to pull the flywheel.

Thank you for any help.
    You can find them on eBay. I think it's a 16mm x 1.5 RH thread, but the easiest thing is to get the tool number from the manual and post it in the search line to make sure you get the right size. Z-1 sent me a 15mm thinking it was correct for the 1100 16v engine when I needed the 16mm or the other way around.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I had done that. The part is 09930-30102 and it is very expensive. I am trying to figure out which aftermarket one would work. The male threading on the rotor/flywheel is 30mm but the ones i see recommended online don't match that. Also the sliding hammer assembly that is the oem part seems much longer than any of the bolts that come with the aftermarket pullers. Any advice would be great. Thank you

Comment

Interesting, I figured it would be the standard screw in pop off type used on most GS engines. You maybe able to find a suitable alternative in a puller kit from Harbor Freight.

Just looked and they have nothing. You may want to call around and see if a local shop has one and will pull it off for you on the cheap or
        check with the local parts stores and see if they may have one in their loan-a-tool selection. Most major franchises do that now.
        Last edited by gsrick; 10-02-2018, 01:25 AM.
        GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I had done that. The part is 09930-30102 and it is very expensive. I am trying to figure out which aftermarket one would work. The male threading on the rotor/flywheel is 30mm ...ou
          Only one that I stumbled across at 30mm was this one..... Pass on the slide hammer,but get an impact wrench to coax things along.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thank you, this is the one I ordered. https://www.denniskirk.com/281959.sku it seems like basically the same one your suggested. Forgive my ignorance but as I understand it the bolt pushes against the crankshaft and pushes off the flywheel. It doesn’t look like the bolt would be long enough to go into the flywheel far enough to do that but it could just be the photo. None of the websites I looked at had any info on the boltlength or width.

Comment

Should the bolt on the extractor, thread into the same threading as the bolt that holds the flywheel on or, should the extractor bolt be more narrow and just be pushing against the crankshaft.

Comment

Should the bolt on the extractor, thread into the same threading as the bolt that holds the flywheel on or, should the extractor bolt be more narrow and just be pushing against the crankshaft.
                You just want extractor bolt to push on crankshaft end - not enter threaded area- as it pushes ,the rotor / flywheel will start to loosen its grip. Might have to tap on extractor bolt head to coax it! Tap ,turn,tap,turn
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for following. The bolt on the extractor I got isn’t long enough to push the flywheel off. Very frustrating. None of the adds for extractors seem to say how long the bolts are either.

Comment

Thanks for following. The bolt on the extractor I got isn’t long enough to push the flywheel off. Very frustrating. None of the adds for extractors seem to say how long the bolts are either.
                    Use a socket as a spacer to add some length to the supplied bolt, or some bar stock as a spacer.
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

The socket seemed to fit about as tight as anything could but still started to push through into the threads. I might have to just take it to a garage. It would seem like it should be straight forward but I don’t want to mess up the crankshaft like I was starting too

Comment

Strange ,a socket spacer usually works..why not just a longer extractor bolt then? Is there something special about extractor bolt's tip? How about a picture?
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

Comment

Here is a link. Not sure if this works

I could text them too you too if that’s possible. My # is 9174149374

Comment

And here is a link for the extractor

Comment

Working...
                              X