Shipping costs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping costs.

Hi all. A word about shipping costs. Determine where you live versus where the parts are when deciding to buy something from a fellow member. If you aren’t sure ask the shipper to get a close estimate before you say yes or no. Obviously if I’m 2500 miles away it’s going to cost a bit. Thanks

This is a very good point.

About a year ago I worked at carefully packaging a number of GS parts for a member who wanted them shipped to Mexico. We started with him looking for a fuel tank, and I told him it would be expensive to ship, because of the size.

He accepted that, and added more items to his planned purchase.The fuel tank required a large box, but putting it on an angle allowed the other pieces to fit above and below it, and I got maximum use of the space while using the smallest box that the tank would fit into.

The finished package was subject to charges for size, not weight. ....as he had been told up front.

He was VERY upset when he learned the shipping cost was more than the purchase price of all items combined and backed out of the purchase..
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
      He was VERY upset when he learned the shipping cost was more than the purchase price of all items combined and backed out of the purchase..
      Selling the parts too cheap. Human nature is weird. Bet if the parts tripled in price there would be no issue with shipping.
      Just bought a KZ400 side cover from a breaker in DE. Part $35, shipping USPS $55 to Ireland.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
        Selling the parts too cheap. Human nature is weird. Bet if the parts tripled in price there would be no issue with shipping.
        Just bought a KZ400 side cover from a breaker in DE. Part $35, shipping USPS $55 to Ireland.

You are probably right, but the actual cost really was pretty high.

In addition to the tank (which included working petcock and fuel level) he wanted both side covers, tank lid, ignition and helmet locks, all pegs and their mounts, speedo and tach plus cables.
        They all fit into the one box, but the cheapest shipping cost was Canada Post....and while I do not recall the exact price, it was close to CA$200.

If he wanted it in USA it would have been cheaper. Mexico costs more, no matter which carrier is used.
        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

If anyone thinks shipping inside the USA is expensive, try shipping across the border sometime. I recently received a roughly 2# package from Australia and shipping was $45USD. If you need something you need something though. Suck it up.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I try not to get to excited about the shipping. If you really need or want something you just call it part of the purchase price. If there is a way to get the things I need or want with a lower overall purchase price I will but .. It just rolled up in there.

I am thinking a good gas tank is getting harder to come by!

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
              If he wanted it in USA it would have been cheaper. Mexico costs more, no matter which carrier is used.
              Anything outside the US can be eye-opening. I've had customers who INSISTED on tracking numbers to places like S. Africa, and the quotes weren't reasonable, or even sane. And that's to ship a nice, dry, lightweight packet of O-rings -- no fuel traces, no corrosives, nothing complicated. Needless to say, the research was a waste of my time, many times over.
              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
              __________________________________________________ ______________________
              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

A couple years ago I was shipping cars I flipped to Germany and Australia.I was flipping 70s and 80s Mercedes SLs and mid 50s Buick’s. Shipping charges were astounding.55 Buick going to Australia cost 4000 on a car that cost him 6000. To Germany where believe it or not I had a guy buying as many as I could send him because they salted the roads and rotted them early. His total was around 6000. That included United road picking it up and taking it to the docks. Generally more than the car cost.

Comment

I would have thought this was obvious.
                  1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
                  New project 1979 GS1000S
                  Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

I bought some OEM Nissin brake o-rings from England and had 2 sets shipped here. Will not use after market. Fit my Triumph's. They were cheaper than buying them here and had them in less than 10 days. Little different though, used e-bay in England and found them with a shipped price. Yes, the seller knew they were going over seas. Still better price. When shipping tanks, I build my own box. I can get industrial cardboard from work, make 1/2 x 3/4 framing. use 2" insulating foam. Staples and glue. Customer said I could have shipped it around the world and it would have held up. I believe it was about $45 to ship from Mn to Fla.
                    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Meanwhile shipping from China is subsidised on this side of the pond once it gets here...

While U.S.-based e-commerce merchants contend with rising postage rates, Chinese sellers receive an incredibly cheap, subsidized shipping option from the U.S. Postal Service. Why is the USPS losing millions of dollars each year to help foreign merchants outcompete domestic businesses?
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                        Meanwhile shipping from China is subsidised on this side of the pond once it gets here...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshe.../#5774466040ca
                        Yes the international org that looks after these things still treats China as some sort of impoverished fledgling country. What would happen to all the aliexpress crap if they paid a fair rate?
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Can you explain how Chinese shipping is subsidized. I am not trying to be mean or nasty. Curious. I E-Bayed some allen head bolt plugs from China, little plastic do-hickies that go where the wrench goes. Got 50 of them for $1.99 shipped and I was.... wtf its .50 to mail a letter?
                          Last edited by limeex2; 11-18-2018, 11:48 AM.
                          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

China is a communist dictatorship, and in its thirst for foreign currency demands exports. So, China subsidies the shipping cost.
                            1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                              Can you explain how Chinese shipping is subsidized. I am not trying to be mean or nasty. Curious. I E-Bayed some allen head bolt plugs from China, little plastic do-hickies that go where the wrench goes. Got 50 of them for $1.99 shipped and I was.... wtf its .50 to mail a letter?
                              Universal postal union per wiki a snippet of the article

In recent years UPU members have encountered serious problems triggered by the enormous increase in e-commerce originating from the Far East, where the terminal dues do not cover the unit costs of delivery in the destination countries, and the volumes are so big that the losses cannot be compensated by better terminal dues from other traffic. In 2016, a new remuneration system was implemented with a focus on e-commerce.[13] but while the 2016 reform balanced the costs to the delivery services, postage costs for shippers are still asymmetric. As of 2018, US companies pay more than twice as much to mail an item from a US plant to a US customer than does a manufacturer in China to mail an item to a US customer.[14][15][16]
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                              X