$100 is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$100 is it worth it?

So my friend has had this 1980 GS in his garage for the past five years and he wants to get rid of it. I'm going to go look at it tonight cause he doesn't know if it's a 400 or a 450 (He knows nothing about bikes). It only has 15,000 miles on it and it has been sitting for 5 years. It was handed down to him by a family friend and he got it running but the carbs were dirty so it kept stalling. Before he had it an older gentleman had it and it sat in his garage for 25 years as he only rode it a couple of times after he bought it new. Everything seems to be in tact and from a couple of pictures no rust so it looks like a really good rebuild. He wants $100 for it and he's got the title. I've been looking for a good rebuild project for the winter. I think it's a great deal given the bike isn't a train wreck. What do you guys think? Also I'll post pics of it after I go look at it tonight.

Hundred bucks? Sounds like a heck yeah to me.
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

A $200 bike for $100? Sight unseen and with the history you mention, that's a great deal! Go for it.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Consider it a parts only bike until you scrutinize the title carefully.

It's quite common in these situations for the title to be in someone else's name two or three owners back, creating an unsolvable conundrum (especially if the original owner is dead).

If it's in someone else's name, or needs to be notarized, or has any flyspecks whatsoever, or wasn't blessed by the current Pope during the correct phase of the moon with demineralized holy water held the right temperature, you will not be able to get a title for it. At least, that's how it is here in Indiana, where our BMV features the planet's most evil collection of hate-filled Demons of Denial. I bet they're pretty similar in your state.

Do NOT be fooled by "yeah, you can get a replacement title with just a few forms". Nope. If it's not a current, absolutely clean, unmarked title in your friend's name, leave it in his garage until he takes care of the situation. Or make him pay you $20 to haul it away and salvage what you can.

And the Vermont title dodge is no longer working in many states. Do your research on that, and make sure you get current info.

If you can sort out the title issues, then hells yeah that sounds like a cool project! The twins are really neat, fun little bikes, and there's a real demand for them.
        Last edited by bwringer; 10-12-2018, 09:33 AM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Yeah I'm in New York and they are pretty strict on titles. The good thing is that when it gets signed over it doesn't need to be notarized. I just have to wait and sign it at the DMV and I have to have a receipt so like a small typed up note.

Comment

Originally posted by jlyon40 View Post
            So my friend has had this 1980 GS in his garage for the past five years and he wants to get rid of it. I'm going to go look at it tonight cause he doesn't know if it's a 400 or a 450 (He knows nothing about bikes). It only has 15,000 miles on it and it has been sitting for 5 years. It was handed down to him by a family friend and he got it running but the carbs were dirty so it kept stalling. Before he had it an older gentleman had it and it sat in his garage for 25 years as he only rode it a couple of times after he bought it new. Everything seems to be in tact and from a couple of pictures no rust so it looks like a really good rebuild. He wants $100 for it and he's got the title. I've been looking for a good rebuild project for the winter. I think it's a great deal given the bike isn't a train wreck. What do you guys think? Also I'll post pics of it after I go look at it tonight.
            If you friend has the title issued in HIS name, I would say go for it. Otherwise, it is most likely for parts only and can only be titled or transferred by the owner of record.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Ok so the guy who gave him the bike and title signed the title over. But my friend never signed it because he never got it back on the road. Does my friend need to take it to the DMV and get it in his name first. Because right now it's in the original owners name but he signed the title, So doesn't that mean it should be fine because It's signed by the original owner and then I can just sign my name?

Comment

OMG, the title conundrum.

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by jlyon40 View Post
                  Ok so the guy who gave him the bike and title signed the title over. But my friend never signed it because he never got it back on the road. Does my friend need to take it to the DMV and get it in his name first. Because right now it's in the original owners name but he signed the title, So doesn't that mean it should be fine because It's signed by the original owner and then I can just sign my name?
                  Give your buddy and extra $25 and drive him to the DMV. Have him take care of the transfer into HIS name (you can also pay the fees, probably not too much) and then while your there have him sign it over to you and done deal.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    Consider it a parts only bike until you scrutinize the title carefully.

It's quite common in these situations for the title to be in someone else's name two or three owners back, creating an unsolvable conundrum (especially if the original owner is dead).

If it's in someone else's name, or needs to be notarized, or has any flyspecks whatsoever, or wasn't blessed by the current Pope during the correct phase of the moon with demineralized holy water held the right temperature, you will not be able to get a title for it. At least, that's how it is here in Indiana, where our BMV features the planet's most evil collection of hate-filled Demons of Denial. I bet they're pretty similar in your state.

Do NOT be fooled by "yeah, you can get a replacement title with just a few forms". Nope. If it's not a current, absolutely clean, unmarked title in your friend's name, leave it in his garage until he takes care of the situation. Or make him pay you $20 to haul it away and salvage what you can.

And the Vermont title dodge is no longer working in many states. Do your research on that, and make sure you get current info.

If you can sort out the title issues, then hells yeah that sounds like a cool project! The twins are really neat, fun little bikes, and there's a real demand for them.
                    Everything said is above is absolute truth and fact!

PS: I would also add, and this for EVERYONE, if you buy a bike and you don't walk away with the CLEAN TITLE in your hand at that moment then it's to be considered a PARTS BIKE ONLY! Do NOT go home and start working on it thinking you will get the title issues worked out, or that is he really going to drop it in the mail for you. Everyone's fall back seems to be either a bonded titled (if thats a thing in your state), storage title ( a pure fantasy) or the Vermont thing, which is not always a sure thing.

I have been contacted by several dozens of people who started a project (ie buying parts, fixing issues, buying tires , cut and grind jobs, full paint/body work, you name it) who wanted to sell off their 1/2 baked mess because they never could get a fresh clean title.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. He's a good friend and we hang out a lot so I'll pay for him to go and get it into his name, and then when the new title comes cause that's what NYS does, Then he can sign it over to me.

Comment

Only $100.00?
                        How good are your mechanical skills?
                        Even if a clean/clear title cannot be acquired you could use the bike to learn about properly cleaning carbs, rebuilding an engine maybe even some bodywork skills.
                        Nice to have those skills if/when your main bike needs work.
                        Parting out a bike on Craigslist, EBay or even here can take a lot of time and effort but at a $100.00 starting point it shouldn't be too difficult to make a couple bucks.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Ok I got some pics and the title situation is good and I will be able to get it in my name. I’m also going to buy it. It’s actually a 1980 GN400 and he does have the side covers with it just not on the bike.
                          B9067CC5-B52B-4608-8DA8-00828C04B9F3.jpg

Comment

Titled bike for $100? That's great!

You have lots of work ahead of you. Sounds like you are dedicated to do the work. Good luck!

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Awesome! Sounds like a fun project. Post lots of pics!

And yeah, buying from a friend who's willing to sort out the title situation makes things 100x easier.

I once stupidly bought a small trailer for $100 from a guy only to end up with a title nightmare because the trailer was actually titled in the name of his estranged brother. They had the same first initial, but the dipstick signed with his full name instead of his brother's and the BMV noticed (I didn't really pay any attention to the signature scribble, but once they pointed it out you could definitely see "Richard" instead of "Robert".)

The brother was local but they weren't on speaking terms for some reason, and this little incident didn't help. And the brother was emphatically not the least bit interested in untangling the trailer title mess. Ultimately, I sort of gave up chasing these two idiots around and chalked it up to a life lesson learned for $100. Not the most expensive lesson I've ever learned by far.

But there's a happy ending. A few months later, I sold the trailer to a friend from Kentucky (our own Mr. Marvin, in fact, who uses it to this day). Turns out in Kentucky you don't need a title or registration for small trailers under a certain weight, which seems like a very sensible and citizen-friendly state of affairs.

Anyway, my lessons learned from the school of hard luck stories and hard knock paperwork:

- Always be ready to walk away from a vehicle the instant something doesn't smell right. Just general life advice; it's never, ever worth untangling a legal crapshow. There are plenty of used vehicles out there without bungled titles (well, maybe...). It's often not actually a scam, just a clueless idiot, but don't make their problem your problem.

- Check title and seller's ID carefully before handing over the dough. The least tiny mismatch or noncurrent address is grounds for rejection. Get a good clear picture of the seller's ID or make a photocopy.

- Print out your state's Bill of Sale form and fill out at least two copies. In Indiana, a BOS not actually necessary, but it helps a little to soothe the savage Demons of Denial inhabiting the BMV. They get actual visible physical pleasure from sending you away to get stuff notarized, or signed by the last three Popes, or tied up with a golden unicorn hair.

- Twice I've had issues when selling a vehicle to a friend when the new "owner" failed to get the title transferred to their name right away. Both turned out OK in the end, but it's a significant window of liability. Turns out there's no process in Indiana for the seller to notify the state or disclaim ownership until the buyer shows up at the BMV to pay the fees. Next time I sell an inexpensive vehicle, I'm going to be extremely blunt with the buyer to make sure they also have the money to complete registration and title transfer, and we'll complete the sale at the BMV office.

- No more selling cheap cars to casual acquaintances and neighbors, either - once it's gone I don't want to see it every day, and I don't want to work on it ever again. No, you don't get a warranty on a $500 car with 450,000 miles on it...
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X