What fuel octane are you running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What fuel octane are you running?

I have a '79 GS1000E with a Wiseco 1085 kit, V&H pipe and K&N pods. In California I always ran 91 octane since the bike was new and to be honest, I never knew if it was necessary. All my friends said to run 91 or "you'll get pinging". I still run 91 here in Utah. I've never tried any octane that's lower.
    I'm going to have to strip and clean my carbs for the second time in two years because the gas here (up to 10% ethanol) is gumming up my carbs. I know part of the problem is I don't ride the bike often enough and the garage gets over 100 degrees in the hot months. That's not going to change.
    I want to run the "pure" gas to stop gumming up the carbs but it's only available in 88 octane here.
    The factory manual says to "use only unleaded gas of at least 85~95 octane (R+M/2 method) or 89 octane or higher rated by the "Research method". I generally buy Chevron, 76, or Mobil. I don't know what method they use for their octane ratings.
    Does anyone know how to find out what methods are used for various suppliers? What octane are you running and what modifications have you done? I appreciate any help/experience you can share.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

As far as I know, all US-branded gasolines use the (R+M/2) method. The 87 octane that is available in most places as "Regular" certainly meets Suzuki's minimum requirement.

Your engine has been built-up a bit, which might require a bit more octane, possibly requiring 89 octane. The requirement for additional octane goes down with an increase in elevation. I think the elevation where you are is quite similar to where you were, so that would not change much. In higher places, like Colorado, "Regular" grade gas at the pump might be 85 or 86.

But, to answer your question: all of the bikes in my garage (bone-stock engines) work just fine on "Regular" 87 octane fuel.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I use non-ethanol all the time if it's available and ours down here is 89 octain, but I run 87 many times and have had no detonation, but then my bikes are stock compression.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

After fighting with gummed up carbs on my (now departed) 1000S I started using Sta-Bil and never a problem since. I used the marine version but the regular version should be fine too.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

For general use during the riding season, I seldom (almost never) use any additives, but for winter storage, I'll use Sta-Bil. Have not tried the marine version that everybody seems to like. I just use about double the dose on the 'regular' stuff and it seems to work quite well. I think the normal dose is about one ounce per gallon. I will dump an 8-ounce bottle into my5+ gallon tank (partially-filled), then ride to the gas station. The super-strong dose gets through the carbs on the way, then I will fill the tank the rest of the way and go "around the block" to make sure ALL circuits in the carbs get their dose of treated fuel. The size of the "block" will depend on the air temperature, it might range from about a mile to well over 25 miles. When I get home, I will change the oil and filter, then park the bike until it's nice enough weather to venture out again.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

86 octane here, no issues with the 850G or any other bike I've had. All stock G model GS's, a DL1000, KLR650, and and this little KLX400 have all done fine. My rides start at a mile above sea level and can range from 3k feet up to 11k feet or so.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

With the Marine Sta-Bil it only takes 1/2 oz for 5 gallons so the bottle lasts a long time. I use it for pretty much every fill because there are gaps of time between rides sometimes.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

I had an instructor at MMI that said we don't have much of a problem with pre-detonation in Fl, because our humidity and the moisture in the air is a natural octain booster or pre-detonation eliminator. He told us that he was the guy that went through Ducati's race engines in prep for the Daytona races and also said you can pee in your tank to raise the octain. You can take that however you want, but he didn't mean that you should do it. I wonder what they are putting in that expensive high octain fuel they offer at the pumps?

GSRick
                No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

The only way to get ethanol-free gas in my area is 91 octane Shell V-Power.
                  I use it almost exclusively because the bikes are not ridden regularly.
                  Stock engines.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

If the compression has been raised you should be running higher octane. If you dont run it often, run non-ethanol only. My Triumph calls for and runs fine on 87 octane. If it sits for more than 4 weeks it wont start till I drain the carbs. Follow the directions for Sta-Bil with very short term storage and use non-ethanol fuel. Winter storage? Use same gas, little more sta-bil(or equivalent) and DRAIN the carbs. All problems are eliminated when drained, not run dry, DRAINED. Its 4 screws to turn. I've had zero issues in 20+ years of winter storage of multiple bikes when drained.
                    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

I use 91-octane ethanol-free Marathon gas in all my vintage bikes. Use Stabil at the end of the riding season.
                      Having a small collection, I view it as a cost & time savings. They charge a good bit more for the ethanol free but I don’t have to fuss with all of those carbs.

Comment

There is no ethanol free fuel in my area and it seems that anytime beyond 3 months in storage w/o Sta-Bil is a gamble.

Regarding octane rating, I use the lowest that my bike will tolerate without knocking and find that most GS's get along well with 87 octane regular. For a big bore equipped bike 87 may not be enough though. Regardless, Sta-Bil works great and is cheap. Unless pure gasoline fuel is readily available and cheap in your area I don't see the point when Sta-Bil can be added easily enough.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

Chevron in my town offers ethanol free gas at 94 octane. That is what I use as the bike isn't turning a wheel too often these days. Should go out and get some Sta-bil as well as at the end of the month it will be stored til March........
                          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                          1983 GS 750

Comment

In Canada anyways, Shell 91 and Chevron 94 are methanol-free. But personally, Petrocan is fine with me. Ethanol has never been a problem. In fact, when it first came out, Iused to especially goto Husky stations for my Rambler....

My Suzukis all run fine on anything BUT seeing as my Honda says it wants "91" I trust them...and seeing the specs are remarkably similar to the Suzukis, in compression ratios and rpm, I take it that an 89 or 91 is not a bad idea forSuzuki too, especially on the highway or mountains. 94 IMO verges on a real waste of $ versus my insecurities so I don't buy it very often .

After all, these higher octane gasolines are not used all that much by other vehicles are they? Old gas? other gas from the plumbing? I wonder what I am actually getting if the pumps aren't frequented by other bikes and hot-rods. something I mean to check out...

as to "85-95 per the (R+M)/2 method " the (R+M)/2 is also known as the AKI and is posted on the pumps in the USA and Canada by law.

Being that AKI (AntiKnockIndex) is a kind of average of the RON and MON ,I have it noted that "As the formula indicates, gasolines with the same AKI can have different RONs and MONS... This may explain why a vehicle knocks while running on certain brands of gasoline or even between fill-ups of the same brand."

....or 89 or higher per Research Method"
                            well, I copied this from somewhere. Trivia perhaps....
                            RON is determined in a single cylinder variable compression ratio engine that operates at 600 RPM with a 125’F inlet air temperature at standard barometric pressure. Spark advance is fixed at 13′ BTDC. In a real world engine, RON is necessary to satisfy part throttle knock problems. A good quality racing gasoline has a RON in the range of I IO to II 5. A high quality racing gasoline can have a RON in excess of 120, which is the top of the octane scale. The difference in the spread of RON is not very important to racing engines.

The procedures and hardware for the RON test were originally developed in 1931. The hardware was revised in 1948 with procedural changes made until the late 1960’s...."

and
                            "MON is more important to racing engines. "...It is always lower than RON..." "MON is determined in a single cylinder engine similar to the RON engine with a few changes that make operating conditions more severe and therefore the octane numbers are lower. The MON engine runs at 900 RPM with a 300’F mixture temperature. Spark advance varies with compression ratio. In a real world engine, MON is necessary to satisfy octane demands at wide open throttle. This is a very important number for racing engines since they spend a high percentage of their lives under high speed and high load conditions. Racing engines cannot afford to be short on octane quality, since detonation or pre-ignition will quickly reduce a racing engine to junk...."
                            Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-17-2018, 11:50 AM.

Comment

If a bike doesnt get run in a couple of weeks I start getting nightmares about the ethenol doing evil. Sta-Bil helps me sleep well... but, if it goes on a few weeks the carbs are coming off, getting a quick cleaning and going in a plastic tub with a lid and the bike will be surrounded by garlic & a ring of mousetraps. I actually love cleaning carburetors but, not if they have to be cleaned because I was lazy and let 'em sit till the gas got shmutzy, that just makes me feel guilty.

My GS bikes (none are high compression, all are 8v, no 16v) seem very forgiving about gas if my ignition, valves and carbs are dialed...

That said, have had other bikes that were picky about gas so, I still aproach it on a case by case basis.

Comment

Working...
                              X