Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seasonal reminder....

Hi all,

I saw 3 deer related crashes on my 25 minute drive to work this morning and narrowly missed bagging a 6-point myself.... the bucks have baby batter for brains this time of year, be safe and give yourself some extra margin.....
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
    ...........this morning .... ..... .....
    Dawn-sunrize...?

i know in evening-sunset-dusk they are out and about more than day time.
    havent thought so much about morning time. Thanks for bringing that up.

has been a while since I have been riding up your way. When I do get on river road, I find myself saying “this is the best road in sourounding county’s, I get here seldom, and it’s what Greg takes to work everyday.”
    Last edited by Redman; 10-23-2018, 09:05 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Since bagging a seven-pointer with my KLR650 on November 9, 2013 (I had no idea that was pretty much the peak of the rut around here) I stay out of the countryside for the next four or five weeks starting about now.

I was riding in Kentucky this past weekend (October 19-20) and saw several does but no bucks. But pretty soon the bucks around here will start getting bolder, more aggressive and start doing even stupider things than deer already do, if that's possible for one of the dumbest animals on the planet.

Man, I hate deer.

Eat more venison.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Yup. That time of year. One tip is to not be totally distracted by that deer that crossed in front you because there probably is another couple that are waiting to follow it.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

We had a bear cross in front of us on Sunday on our way back from a dual sport ride up island.
          No signature

Comment

I know it is a bit of a bore, topic wise. These were all between 8 and 9 am, two there on river road and one near an elementary school near us. The 6 point I saw jumped across the main road in our neighborhood, all residential area....he was headed down towards Muskegon lake. Definitely did not expect to see him there, at that hour. Got my attention.
            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

We have mass quantities of deer in Pennsylvania. The important deer predator in the state is hunters — they kill around 300k per year. Without them there would be a lot more hit by vehicles.

Comment

Yep, guy was just killed a couple days ago in the South Bend area. Hit a deer with his bike... Be careful out there guys...
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

I've never figured out why there are still hunting seasons and limits for deer; they're MASSIVELY overpopulated throughout North America, yet the numbers of hunters are dwindling.

They're vermin, and we don't have nearly enough exterminators left to even make much of a dent. So why limit hunting like this? States could raise even more revenue from deer tags and maybe everyone would get a little safer.

Yes, deer populations crashed early in the 20th century due to hunting pressure back when pretty much anyone who could walk and carry a gun was hunting. Those days are long gone, but hunting laws are still based around a scarcity of game and a surplus of hunters. It's koo-koo.

This is a pretty decent article from Time magazine: "America's Pest Problem: It's time to Cull the Herd"
                  After nearly wiping out many wildlife species 50 years ago, Americans are once again living close--sometimes uncomfortably so--to all kinds of feral creatures. Why wildlife in the U.S. needs stronger management

Walt Disney has killed a LOT of riders - the movie "Bambi" convinced a generation or two of impressionable children that deer were beautiful, intelligent wild animals and made it impossible to pass rational regulation or take action to control the population of these pests.

Eat more venison.
                  Last edited by bwringer; 10-25-2018, 08:56 AM.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Missed a doe yesterday by a few feet, she would have been tasty.
                    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Even if they open it up for a couple years, and then tighten the regulation again. Just to thin the population. I still can't believe we can't buy venison at any local grocery store...
                      '83 GS 1100T
                      The Jet

sigpic
                      '95 GSXR 750w
                      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Urban sprawl has caused us to be living amongst them even more than ever before.
                        The issue with that is it is unlikely to have a HUNTER take one out of the herd in the neighborhood.
                        Come to me house and drive around and see 8-10 deer any day of the week - and turkey, racoons, opossum, skunks, and squirells and chipminks too -
                        All in numerous obnoxious numbers --But the area is rife with lightly wooded 1-2 acre homesites -
                        Lots of 'natural' areas in every yard (small groves of pine and mixed hardwoods) - and a 20 acre park in the center of the subdivision.
                        It is a beautiful area to live -- but not hunted so Deer and other game animals run wild --
                        Last weekend we had a FOX run through our yard in the mid-day while we were out burning leaves and tree debris...
                        And of course the feral cats and many neighborhood pet dogs.

And in the past 3 years the developers have taken down more wild habitat near me for future housing - take down the wooded area and the farm land and create another neighborhood - displacing even more DEER to wander the highways near me...

One has to be mighty careful when riding in deer country - which is where I live...

Currently in the Stable :
                        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Lots of deer in 'sconie !!! I hit one in St Croix county 2013. Compound spiral fracture of the tibula@fibula, 4 broken ribs and a collor bone. Killed the deer and bike. The very next spring I had one run right in front of me again. I roadraced way back when and always update my brakes with at least different pads. Its what saved me. If you see them running next to you and think they will be frightened away, just stop. Cant be trusted.

In the spring, the does have new fawns and kick out the yearling so they wander about aimlessly, in the fall there in rut chasing each other to breed. We all know what thats like...
                          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post

Urban sprawl has caused us to be living amongst them even more than ever before.
                            The issue with that is it is unlikely to have a HUNTER take one out of the herd in the neighborhood.
                            Come to me house and drive around and see 8-10 deer any day of the week - and turkey, racoons, opossum, skunks, and squirells and chipminks too -
                            All in numerous obnoxious numbers --But the area is rife with lightly wooded 1-2 acre homesites -
                            Lots of 'natural' areas in every yard (small groves of pine and mixed hardwoods) - and a 20 acre park in the center of the subdivision.
                            It is a beautiful area to live -- but not hunted so Deer and other game animals run wild --
                            Last weekend we had a FOX run through our yard in the mid-day while we were out burning leaves and tree debris...
                            And of course the feral cats and many neighborhood pet dogs.

And in the past 3 years the developers have taken down more wild habitat near me for future housing - take down the wooded area and the farm land and create another neighborhood - displacing even more DEER to wander the highways near me...

One has to be mighty careful when riding in deer country - which is where I live...

A number of communities in the Pittsburgh area have used a managed archery hunt to control the dear population. Might be useful to suggest that to your local government given the problems you have.

Comment

20 minutes AFTER I posted about the DEER in Urban environment I went for an errand.
                              I am on my bike - but in a car would've been the same

A DEER crossing a 6 lane highway in the middle of the city of Brookfield which is highly commercial -
                              Shopping malls, restaurants, banks, etc.
                              All down the stretch of road of nearly 5-6 miles I would guess --
                              NO GREEN SPACE ANYWHERE --

And some dumb spike buck decided to go for a walk --
                              When I went past he was still alive and uninjured...
                              Currently in the Stable :
                              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
                              X