Forum Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Search

Ok, so I've been using online forums for years now, and think I have a decent idea on how to use them.

So I go to the General/Maintenance list and do a search on "oil" (minus the quotes)

Zero results found searching both threads and posts. Advance search: same thing.

So now I'm doing a search on 850"

Same thing.

Would someone be so kind as to help a blind man see? How do I perform a search on this forum? Shouldn't be that difficult and yet...somehow...this eludes me.

Thank you!

Ken

Use advanced, title only. You need more words. For instance "fork oil", instead of just "oil" (without the quotes). The search feature on this sight isn't the best, but it does work if you use a few more words. Add the model designation, like 850G does yield results.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 03-17-2019, 08:08 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

We appreciate the fact that you are trying to do a search first.

I get the impression that you are about to ask what oil to use?

As you can imagine, oil (and filters) is a personal opinon, which can quickly get into hotly-contested keyboard war. However, one of the forum favorites here is Rotella diesel oil. For those that prefer "regular" or "dino" oil, the T4 15w-40 in the white jug is the choice. For those that prefer a "synthetic" oil, the T6 5w-40 in the blue jug is the choice. Whichever one you use, the quantity specified is 3.9 quarts (with a filter change), but I just dump in the entire gallon.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you for the tips, much appreciated.

Steve - you are guessing correctly. I am aware that there are nearly an infinite number of opinions on the matter but I figured I'd see what the general, overall consensus was on here. I know my bike is nearly as old as I am and I know the changes in the chemistry and processing didn't exist then like they do now. Better to seek the advice of the experienced and knowledgeable than to break it on my own.

I do a lot of technical work in my daily life and I'm very familiar with attempting to find my own information from available sources . Now if only I could get some of the newer "kids" I work with to learn how to do it on their own...

Comment

Thanks Rich, I haven't had much luck with the search engine, your tips are tightening up my searches now.

Cheers
          Rick.

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          Use advanced, title only. You need more words. For instance "fork oil", instead of just "oil" (without the quotes). The search feature on this sight isn't the best, but it does work if you use a few more words. Add the model designation, like 850G does yield results.

Comment

Working...
          X