PDA

View Full Version : The GSResources 2019 financial update

administrator
11-30-2019, 06:33 PM
As we get into December, it gives me a better idea of how the finances for the website have gone for the year. I would have to say that this year, things have barely kept pace with expenses. At it stands now the budget is -$42. That is not a good thing.

This website has been going for almost 25 years. The main subject is covering motorcycles that were built upwards of 40 years ago, so I can understand the declining interest in the old bikes. Heck, most of have moved on to newer rides. So I get it. But that doesn't take away the fact that it costs money to run this website. Besides the monthly webhost expenses, I do take some funds for myself as compensation of maintaining the website and dealing with the background IT tasks that need to be done. But this year the webhost bill just barely got paid so I took nothing.

As I've stated previously, my days of paying to run the website are in the past. It costs almost $900 a year in IT expenses alone. And just barely getting by isn't worth the time and effort either. The bottom line is that unless I see a significant amount of contributions in the next month then I will shut down the website. In my opinion, it's just a matter of knowing just how important this website is to people. If it has run its course, then I'm fine with that.

So my plan is that I am looking for contributions in the amount of $1000 or more by December 31, 2019 (Paypal only please). If that goal isn't reached by that date, then I will refund everyone's money and shut down the website.

I appreciate the support of all past contributors, whether that be financially or as co-editors, moderators, and information suppliers or just plain site supporters! I couldn't have done it for as long as we have without the support of all of you, so for that I thank you!! I hope that you all have a blessed holiday!

Frank

allojohn
11-30-2019, 07:23 PM
Well, I'm in..... hoping many more follow.....

Nessism
11-30-2019, 07:53 PM
Bummer that it got to this point. $1000 bucks in 30 days should be doable but it's kind of short notice. Anyway, I'm in!

kerrfunk
11-30-2019, 08:13 PM
I'm in. I looked back and it looks like I haven't made a contribution since June 2017.
I'll send a donation on Monday.

jsandidge
11-30-2019, 08:33 PM
I'm in. This site has been invaluable to me.

GSXR7ED
11-30-2019, 09:55 PM
I'm in. I looked back and it looks like I haven't made a contribution since June 2017.
I'll send a donation on Monday.

I made my first donation in Feb 2018...and now, the last day of Nov, 2019.

Ed

alke46
11-30-2019, 10:37 PM
You can count on my donation as well. I have been pretty regular with annual donations and I feel that everyone who benefits from this great website should man up and donate what they can.

I for one would really hate to see this site shut down but I also understand the need for contributions to keep it up and alive.

I will send in another contribution by Monday at the latest.

Redman
11-30-2019, 11:38 PM
Thanks for what you do, Frank.

opps, I see I have “past” .
Will attend to that shortly.

frank, do we have less members than, say, 5 years ago? Less contributors?

Chuck78
12-01-2019, 01:46 AM
Darnit, I hate to see it come to this point of need. I suppose it has been a few years since I've contributed, however. I'll get right on that...

Chuck78
12-01-2019, 01:56 AM
Done. More to follow in 2 weeks.

Here is the support/donation link which I found on the main page of the website (not the forum). I believe this is the correct paypal donation link for which Frank has referred to:

https://www.thegsresources.com/supportus.php

trevor
12-01-2019, 02:09 AM
I don't do paypal anymore....is there a way of E-transferring to you Frank?

Cheers

fastbysuzuki
12-01-2019, 08:02 AM

Cheers

If you go to www.thegsresources.com and click "support us" then donate you get the choice of paying via PayPal, debit or credit card.

fastbysuzuki
12-01-2019, 08:11 AM
I'm in, just made a donation surely we cannot let this site go. It's the best site and forum I have been on an absolute mine of information.
$1000 does seen an uphill struggle in a short period but do-able I hope.

TeamDar
12-01-2019, 11:16 AM
Done, I hope everyone else contributes. Dar

Chuck78
12-01-2019, 11:25 AM

Cheers

It says Frank is accepting PayPal only for this.

Perhaps you could transfer money to another member who has the same e-transfer capabilities as you, and who has PayPal, and have them transfer it to Frank on your behalf?

Unless perhaps there is a way to use your credit card on PayPal without signing up with PayPal?

Sandy
12-01-2019, 12:07 PM
It says Frank is accepting PayPal only for this.

Perhaps you could transfer money to another member who has the same e-transfer capabilities as you, and who has PayPal, and have them transfer it to Frank on your behalf?

Unless perhaps there is a way to use your credit card on PayPal without signing up with PayPal?

You can pay through Paypal without actually having an account with them. There's a button at the bottom of the payment.screen for credit or debit payment.

chuck hahn
12-01-2019, 12:34 PM
Done...more when I get the bills caught up.

dorkburger
12-01-2019, 01:01 PM
Done. Hope to talk to you all in the New Year.

bccap
12-01-2019, 02:17 PM
You can pay through Paypal without actually having an account with them. There's a button at the bottom of the payment.screen for credit or debit payment.

I still have my Paypal account but haven't used it in a few years so it isn't currently linked to anything. But it is still there and I can still log into it. I see a button there to " Link to debit card " . Does that link the account or is it a one time thing ? Do you need to use your pin number ? With all the security breaches around I am a bit reluctant to give too much information on line.

trevor
12-01-2019, 02:21 PM
I still have my Paypal account but haven't used it in a few years so it isn't currently linked to anything. But it is still there and I can still log into it. I see a button there to " Link to debit card " . Does that link the account or is it a one time thing ? Do you need to use your pin number ? With all the security breaches around I am a bit reluctant to give too much information on li

Garth, I just donated this way with my credit card...no pin needed. And I didn't have to sign into my paypal account

Sandy
12-01-2019, 02:27 PM
Garth, I just donated this way with my credit card...no pin needed. And I didn't have to sign into my paypal account

Yes. Don't log into your Paypal account, just initiate the Paypal payment through the "support us" tab on the homepage and at at the bottom of one of the pages is the credit card or debit card option.

bccap
12-01-2019, 02:36 PM
Yes. Don't log into your Paypal account, just initiate the Paypal payment through the "support us" tab on the homepage and at at the bottom of one of the pages is the credit card or debit card option.

Thanks Sandy and Trevor......

hank2
12-01-2019, 05:22 PM
I just sent a donation. By using the forum link to Paypal it doesn't allow a sender to pick Paypal's "friends and family" option. That would eliminate Paypal fees and seems to be a legitimate use? ( not purchasing a product). Anyhow, hope that enough funds can be raised.

storm 64
12-01-2019, 06:33 PM
I'm just happy that I'm at the point in my life that I can give. Not so long ago I was scratching to get by. You definitely do not have to be rich to enjoy motorcycling. That is why I love the GS motorcycle so much. Well that and when my older brothers friend pulled up on a new 1978 GS 750e! 🙂

bonanzadave
12-01-2019, 08:21 PM
Sent......

1978GS750E
12-01-2019, 08:42 PM
Done....

Burque73
12-01-2019, 09:03 PM
My donation will be in shortly. It's been a while since I've contributed, but I'd hate to see this great site go away.

Even if I'm not working on my own bike, I enjoy, among other things, reading about other projects and repairs going on.

bwringer
12-01-2019, 09:28 PM
Done. This community has made my life immeasurably richer.

Weird how old motorcycles bring people together.

Jethro
12-02-2019, 11:30 AM
Ok, will do!

Jedz123
12-02-2019, 01:54 PM
Donation in from JedzMoto

Wingsconsin
12-02-2019, 02:54 PM
Wingsconsin has made a contribution as well -
I KNOW I have received excellent value from my past donations so no reason to not keep it going.
I pray others will be involved and keep this place afloat.
Other forums I participate on have gone to advertising to help pay the costs - that is NOT ideal in my opinion
So I hope to keep this forum ad free ;)

My 1983 GS850GL "Kaizen" thanks you

https://i.imgur.com/IZDAvKhm.jpg

80GS1000
12-02-2019, 03:07 PM
I've donated to help keep this indispensable resource online. Between the technical information and the community, this site is invaluable. Not to mention all the cool pics of members' bikes and projects.

Let's keep it going into 2020 and beyond!

azr
12-02-2019, 10:32 PM
Boy am I glad I logged back in and saw this post. I've been fairly absent around here in the past couple of years but most definitely do not want to see this invaluable resource disappear, especially due to a few dollars from everyone. $1000 divided by 1,725 (the amount of members online on 10-21-2019) that's less than a $1 each. Come on everyone, Frank deserves it!!

Steve
12-02-2019, 11:16 PM
Well, we did it. :encouragement:

Be sure to see the update (https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?257286-The-GSResources-2019-financial-update-update!-Wow!).