PDA

View Full Version : The GSResources 2019 financial update - update! Wow!

administrator
12-02-2019, 11:09 PM
Friday, when I wrote my note expressing the dire situation here I really thought that things were getting ready to head off into the sunset. Boy, was I wrong! You all stepped up to the plate in a big way! The contributions now are near $3000, which is definitely enough to keep this website going for several more years. I really just can't get over it. So for all your support I just want to thank you so much!

Now I know that some people donated what I consider a crazy amount of money. I certainly appreciate it but if you would like me to refund some of it back to you, just send me a PM and let me know. There is no shame in asking. Really!

So again, I want to thank you all for your support of the site. I certainly appreciate it. I hope you all have a fantastic holiday!!!

Frank

PS: I will let the contributions go for several more days before I process them all. It could take a while to get that done...

Steve
12-02-2019, 11:13 PM
Frank, "crazy amount of money"??? :-k

It would be more crazy to send NO money. https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif

We should be a bit more generous a bit more steadily so we don't encounter a panic like this,
but we REALLY appreciate your efforts to keep it going. :clap: :clap: :encouragement: :clap: :clap:

cowboyup3371
12-02-2019, 11:23 PM
Thank you for the information Frank and thank you very much for taking care of this site. If you ever need more IT help just say the word; I'm willing to help where I can

trevor
12-03-2019, 12:04 AM
Thank you Frank...

alke46
12-03-2019, 12:14 AM
Thank you for your work Frank and a bigger thank you to all who have donated. Good to hear that we will have a forum for the near future.

GSXR7ED
12-03-2019, 06:23 AM
I had no doubt this place would have a problem with donating $1K in less than 31 days...but triple that...in less than a week? What a blessing!

Keep up the good work, Frank!

Ed

limeex2
12-03-2019, 06:33 AM
Remind us non-frequent users how to contribute again?

Baatfam
12-03-2019, 06:35 AM
Remind us non-frequent users how to contribute again?
Just go right here: https://www.thegsresources.com/supportus.php

Spyder
12-03-2019, 09:35 AM
Thanks Frank.

allojohn
12-03-2019, 10:02 AM
Fantastic news Frank, it's great to see how much we really care about this place.

bwringer
12-03-2019, 10:03 AM
Thank you for the information Frank and thank you very much for taking care of this site. If you ever need more IT help just say the word; I'm willing to help where I can

Yep. There's lots of web and IT expertise floating around here if and when it makes sense to share the load.

Good to know the community stepped up. And I, for one, learned that it would probably be better to donate sometime before the end of the year instead of in the spring, since the GSR accounting is based on a calendar year. Never really thought about that.

Another thing I'll mention is that folks selling parts could be encouraged to consider donating part or all of the proceeds once in a while. Lots of us have had parts on the shelf for decades that really could use better homes, so it would be relatively painless. Sometime this winter I'll have a good rummage through my stash and see what I can part with.

dorkburger
12-03-2019, 10:21 AM
Great news! Frank, thank you for keeping this site going, and thanks to those who donated.

kerrfunk
12-03-2019, 11:31 AM
Good news, great news. I'm glad you asked, Frank, and what a thrilling response!

Cheers, y'all. Let's do what we can to not let it get this dire!
I'm putting it on my google calendar to make annual donations.

pete
12-03-2019, 03:22 PM
Glad to hear it Frank! Mine's still to come (awkward time between pay days) but rest assured it will be there, although our lousy $AU will take a bit away at the moment. Thanks for all your efforts looking after the forum for us too!

fastbysuzuki
12-03-2019, 05:11 PM
Have to agree with the above posts thanks to Frank and everyone who has donated or will be.
its great to know the site (our site) is safe for the near future.

alke46
12-03-2019, 07:15 PM
I have always donated at the beginning of the year. Is this no longer the right way or time to do it? Since I donated in Jan. 2019 and again in Dec. 2019, I am thinking I will hold off until next year in November to donate.

Frank,
Please tell us when is the proper time for donations.

storm 64
12-03-2019, 08:00 PM
I have always donated at the beginning of the year. Is this no longer the right way or time to do it? Since I donated in Jan. 2019 and again in Dec. 2019, I am thinking I will hold off until next year in November to donate.

Frank,
Please tell us when is the proper time for donations.

Hey Larry, you can donate to the storm 64 tire fund any time! I'll be checking my mailbox for your check! haha😅

alke46
12-04-2019, 01:04 AM
Hey Larry, you can donate to the storm 64 tire fund any time! I'll be checking my mailbox for your check! haha

Sorry Norm, I don't have your address. Maybe you can hit me up for that donation in June at the Brown County event.

Jethro
12-05-2019, 01:52 PM
Oh yeah, I want all my donation back, all $30 of it LOLOLOL

Just kidding!!

rphillips
12-05-2019, 02:48 PM
No Jethro, The GSR keeps the $$$. But if you are hungry, come on by, I'll give you a bone..... Not kidding.

MikeinSaudi
01-30-2020, 05:48 AM
Just go right here: https://www.thegsresources.com/supportus.php

Thanks Bob - done, Frank please let me know if i have not sent the correct/appropriate amount- i'm new here and will need the support the Forum offers.

Wingsconsin
01-30-2020, 03:02 PM
Just to add cudos to the fine volunteers who take on the administration of this website forum for all of us enthusiasts.

Other forums that I participate within have recently moved or are moving to a new platform -
I am not sure of the who/what of it - but it is purely financial -
The new platform comes with considerable advertising and a wonky limiting form that doesn't work quite as well as this does (once you learn the tricks for pictures)

See https://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/

or this future move

https://cx500forum.com/forum/site-help-support/111225-we-moving-3.html#post1064025

For examples of the new web platforms -- while they DO work and continue to be FREE - there is a cost to be borne and paid

The donations system exhibited here is a very good example of the what and why ;)

Keep up the fine work and Thank you

Rob S.
01-30-2020, 05:38 PM
...please let me know if i have not sent the correct/appropriate amount...

Just send an oil well every so often! :p:p

MikeinSaudi
01-31-2020, 03:50 AM
Just send an oil well every so often! :p:p

Hey Rob

I've tried to slip one in to my back pack when no one is looking but its just a mess by the time i hit the airport!!

ged
01-31-2020, 05:56 AM
Cheers Frank ��

Brendan W
01-31-2020, 05:56 AM
Just to add cudos to the fine volunteers who take on the administration of this website forum for all of us enthusiasts.

Other forums that I participate within have recently moved or are moving to a new platform -
The new platform comes with considerable advertising and a wonky limiting form that doesn't work quite as well as this does (once you learn the tricks for pictures)

or this future move

https://cx500forum.com/forum/site-help-support/111225-we-moving-3.html#post1064025

For examples of the new web platforms -- while they DO work and continue to be FREE - there is a cost to be borne and paid

The donations system exhibited here is a very good example of the what and why ;)

Couldn't agree more.
KISS

administrator
02-03-2020, 01:01 PM

or this future move

Thanks for the kind words. As most of us old guys know, nothing is free. The corollary to that is if you think it is, it isn't.

I felt that going the contributor support route was the best way to go back in 2006. Advertising was becoming prevalent everywhere and I could see it only getting worse. And isn't that true? It's everywhere and you can't escape it. Well you can here. Enjoy! :fat:

Frank

salty_monk
02-03-2020, 04:35 PM
We are only now starting to find out the cost of all of this "free" stuff.... People and their privacy have become the product. :)

bobtail84
03-28-2020, 04:25 AM
Done. :cool:

Now the world is a much differant place due to Covid-19, forums like this can and will be a life line for many. I for one will have more time to fettle with my GS1000 so the advice and banter will be much apriciated by me and many others in the coming months.
Keep up the good work guys. :applause:

GSXR7ED
03-28-2020, 08:57 AM
^^^Love the avatar! Is that black pudding? Wife & I lived in Braintree then Bury St Edmunds (1990-93). She’s a Scott but grew up in Haverhill.

I took care of my contribution last month and received thanks from Frank.

The knowledge here is phenomenal! And of course everything else is taken with a grain of salt.

Ed

bobtail84
03-29-2020, 01:48 PM
^^^Love the avatar! Is that black pudding? Wife & I lived in Braintree then Bury St Edmunds (1990-93). She’s a Scott but grew up in Haverhill.

Ed

Hi Ed, yep it's black pudding from the local butcher and very nice it is too. :cool:

Jeff

allojohn
03-29-2020, 02:30 PM
It's the back bacon I miss....

salty_monk
03-30-2020, 07:41 PM
:lol: me too... luckily there is an english store not too far away, just pay through the nose for it!

Cornish pasties in the other thing... apparently I gotta go to Montana :)

allojohn
03-30-2020, 11:08 PM
We have nothing here.. I know stuff’s available online but I can’t be a$$ed. I’d just like to be able to get stuff local... sadness.

fastbysuzuki
03-31-2020, 03:20 AM
Hi Ed, yep it's black pudding from the local butcher and very nice it is too. :cool:

Jeff

The real stuff
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49719269046_b18fd0b767_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2iKwfuE)

http://www.albertmatthews.com/black-pudding-bury-chadwicks-original

allojohn
03-31-2020, 06:39 PM
I've always avoided black pudding... can't really tell you why (I'm from Sussex) but the next chance I get I'm going to try it, damnit!

GSXR7ED
03-31-2020, 08:35 PM
I first had black pudding in Scotland...my wife’s aunt Lottie fed us while visiting Coatbridge—she has two married sons both over 6 feet tall...she fed me (all 5ft 7inches) like she fed her sons!

Man did I eat! Trouble is, she kept filling my plate!!!

Ed

allojohn
04-01-2020, 08:20 AM
Am I following you or are you following me? I was in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast & Dublin last year.....

GSXR7ED
04-01-2020, 09:39 PM
John,

I’ve been to all places at different times except for Belfast...never been.

My adventure started back in Feb 1989 on my way to Wethersfield, England. Today is my US Air Force anniversary (1Apr 1986-1Apr 2011) and I am grateful for being given the opportunity to serve.

Ed

bobtail84
04-04-2020, 04:40 AM
The real stuff
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49719269046_b18fd0b767_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2iKwfuE)

http://www.albertmatthews.com/black-pudding-bury-chadwicks-original

That is making my mouth water.. :cool:

bobtail84
04-05-2020, 06:15 AM
John,

I’ve been to all places at different times except for Belfast...never been.

My adventure started back in Feb 1989 on my way to Wethersfield, England. Today is my US Air Force anniversary (1Apr 1986-1Apr 2011) and I am grateful for being given the opportunity to serve.

Ed

Ed, were you based at RAF Edzell at any time?

Jeff

GSXR7ED
04-05-2020, 08:45 AM
Ed, were you based at RAF Edzell at any time?

Jeff

Good morning Jeff,

I was not stationed at RAF Edzell...just RAF Wethersfield & RAF Mildenhall.

Were Americans stationed there? It wasn’t a location option on my dream sheet.

We left Mildenhall in Sept of 1993 and I brought my Scottish wife to Abilene, TX.

Ed

EDIT: RAF Edzell was a Navy base in Scotland that closed in 1996. I was US Air Force, in Logistics Support function.

bobtail84
04-05-2020, 02:21 PM
Good morning Jeff,

I was not stationed at RAF Edzell...just RAF Wethersfield & RAF Mildenhall.

Were Americans stationed there? It wasn’t a location option on my dream sheet.

We left Mildenhall in Sept of 1993 and I brought my Scottish wife to Abilene, TX.

Ed

EDIT: RAF Edzell was a Navy base in Scotland that closed in 1996. I was US Air Force, in Logistics Support function.

Evening Ed, There were Marines, Navy and USAF up there for one reason or another. My sister met her husband in Scotland and lives in Annapolice MD, she's lived in the USA for over 20 years.
I used to work for a german company and we delivered to both Mildenhall and Lakenheath on a regular basis, it used to be amazing watching the freight planes touch and go, that was in the mid to late 90's so you would hame been home by then.

Jeff

GSXR7ED
04-05-2020, 06:46 PM
Evening Ed, There were Marines, Navy and USAF up there for one reason or another. My sister met her husband in Scotland and lives in Annapolice MD, she's lived in the USA for over 20 years.
I used to work for a german company and we delivered to both Mildenhall and Lakenheath on a regular basis, it used to be amazing watching the freight planes touch and go, that was in the mid to late 90's so you would hame been home by then.

Jeff

My wife has been in the US since 1993...she grew up in Haverhill, Suffolk...75 miles north of London. Her family moved from Coatbridge, Scotland (Dad was a plater) to Haverhill for better pay since he had 8 children (my wife is the youngest/she was 1-2 yrs old). As a result, she does not have a Scottish accent...only her eldest brother (2nd eldest) has the broad Scottish accent. There are 7 girls and 1 boy in her clan...lol. (They're Catholic)

No flights were launched on RAF Wethersfiled...and of course, RAF Mildenhall is the Gateway to Europe with Tankers assigned to the 100th Air Refueling Wing (ARW). I was fortunate to see an SR-71 launch during one of our CWDE (Chemical Warfare) exercises...which was cool.

One quick story about my wife living in Abilene, TX...we were at Furr's all-you-can-eat restaurant. The lady behind the salad bar asked my wife what kind of dressing she wanted...wife said "Ranch" in her accent and the lady behind the counter could not understand her. Wife kept saying "Ranch" over and over, several time. She was getting upset and I asked, "what's the problem, babe?" She goes on about asking for "Ranch". I look at the lady behind the counter and say, "Ranch dressing" in my american accent and the lady says, "Ranch" with a BIG time southern draw. Then the wife goes into a conversation by herself..."that's what I said!"

Anyhow, what's this thread about???

Sorry for the redirect...carry on!

Ed