PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Brown County Indiana GSR Hooraw - June 11-14 - SAVE THE DATE!

bwringer
01-03-2020, 07:53 PM
Greetings, gentlegreature components of the mighty GSR Hive Mind!

Calendars have been perused, emails flung around the ether, GS tire treadwear patterns pondered, and a date has been chosen for this year's Brown County GSR Hooraw, Hootenanny, Festival of Idle Chitchat, and feast!

Save these Dates:

Arrive: Thursday, June 11, 2020

Depart: Sunday, June 14, 2020

The location is once again the luxurious Rosemount Motel in bucolic Bedford, Indiana, nestled in the middle of some of the planet's finest twisty road riding. Why mess with success?

If you haven't been and don't know the drill yet:

- I manage the rooming list for this here hooraw. PLEASE don't call the Rosemount; they'll tell you they're booked. If you're a newbie, you can PM me or email brian@bwringer.com to let me know you're interested. Or just watch this thread. We have six months to go, folks; please, no panicking yet.

- All are welcome no matter what they're riding, although we may or may not end up with room for everyone at the Rosemount. We usually do. There are some other hotels nearby if you want a more corporate experience, have points to burn, or you can't commit.

- First priority, as always, goes to past attendees. I will contact everyone who was there last year over the next month or two. There's no rush... I will then contact folks who didn't make it last year but usually show up.

- Then I'll try to stuff in newbies.

- People who can make 110% firm commitments are prioritized over wafflers. Brutal, but them's the breaks...

Dogma
01-03-2020, 09:16 PM
First!

It's on the calendar, which means I officially called dibs on that weekend. Nobody can schedule a reunion or anything else.

Redman
01-03-2020, 09:18 PM
On my calendar.
(have been looking every day for this.)
Will chat with Redmanson soon.

1978GS750E
01-03-2020, 09:23 PM
Got it scheduled! Now if only the bike was ready!

Baatfam
01-03-2020, 09:33 PM
I will check with my RO, (Retirement Officer), and see if I can get away....

But, yes...99.95% sure...

storm 64
01-03-2020, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the dates Brian. It helps for my vacation planning. I always incorporate my vacation around the Brown County rally. Maybe I'll do the south eastern loop this year. 👍

alke46
01-03-2020, 09:58 PM
I'm in and more than 110% committed. My wife has gotten used to the idea that I can only stay home with her for a max of 3-4 weeks, so it's a no brainer here. As a matter of fact, in 3 weeks I will be in San Diego practicing the skill it takes to ride those twisty southern Indiana roads.

cowboyup3371
01-03-2020, 10:03 PM
I'm in and promise I won't try to be a teenager before i get there this time :D

I'll talk to Charmayne but won't promise much right now

bwringer
01-03-2020, 11:31 PM
I'm in and promise I won't try to be a teenager before i get there this time :D

I'll talk to Charmayne but won't promise much right now

Yep, stay off those dangerous eight wheeled vehicles.

You DO remember all those little back roads we sampled a few months ago, right? There will be a quiz...

cowboyup3371
01-04-2020, 12:40 AM
You DO remember all those little back roads we sampled a few months ago, right? There will be a quiz...

Let me know when the scouting runs start and I’ll see if I remember my lessons

Redman
01-05-2020, 05:56 PM
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .I won't try to be a teenager before i get there this time :D
You dont be strapping little wheels to your feet, and I will make good effort at managing my sidestand.

Jedz123
01-05-2020, 09:40 PM
Let me run those dates through my calendar I might be passing through Indiana that time as I head West to California. I'm taking a month off from work as I do my much needed Trans-america trip. I may only stay 1 night as I continue my trip west. Like to try to see everyone for at least one day.

If I do make it I'll have a buddy riding with me to Colorado.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Wingsconsin
01-07-2020, 04:38 PM
On the calendar -- hope to avoid the rain this year --
I found the leak in my boot that weekend last year -- those boots are now in the trash ... :rolleyes-new:

salty_monk
01-07-2020, 06:22 PM
I'm in and more than 110% committed. My wife has gotten used to the idea that I can only stay home with her for a max of 3-4 weeks, so it's a no brainer here. As a matter of fact, in 3 weeks I will be in San Diego practicing the skill it takes to ride those twisty southern Indiana roads.

If you get up this way... look me up :) (or maybe we can figure a way to meet & ride the Ortega highway or something...)

robertbarr
01-07-2020, 06:41 PM
I just might nudge my BRP trek back a week and at least drop in for the Friday evening festivities.

I usually do the Joliet to Maggie Valley jaunt in one day, but I've considered breaking it up a bit. This would make a nice halfway (or close enough) point.

I've also considered selling the Hondapotamus, forcing me to travel by V-Strom. A layover might be in order if I'm not traveling by boat. It's a vacation, after all.

alke46
01-07-2020, 10:45 PM
If you get up this way... look me up :) (or maybe we can figure a way to meet & ride the Ortega highway or something...)

Thanks Dan, I just might take you up on that offer. If the opportunity comes up, I will PM you a couple of days in advance.

salty_monk
01-08-2020, 12:08 AM
If the stars align again I'll make this rally... you never know! I'll be a late entry for sure. :D

ddaniels
01-09-2020, 09:59 AM
Tentatively scheduled. Wedding anniversary is the 10th so I should be ok (fingers crossed). She has come to resign herself to me usually going at this point. The Fizzy will be starting properly this time.

Steve
01-09-2020, 11:53 AM
Tentatively scheduled. Wedding anniversary is the 10th so I should be ok (fingers crossed).
You just need to re-schedule your anniversary. https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif

alke46
01-09-2020, 12:16 PM
You just need to re-schedule your anniversary. https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif

That's what I am doing. My anniversary is the 12th but we will just do our celebratory dinner on the 6th of June. Just as I typed that I realized that is the date of my father's birth.

storm 64
01-09-2020, 12:31 PM
Tentatively scheduled. Wedding anniversary is the 10th so I should be ok (fingers crossed). She has come to resign herself to me usually going at this point. The Fizzy will be starting properly this time.

Just bring the wife with you. There's no reason you can't celebrate your anniversary with us guys at the Rosemount! 😃

Griffin
01-09-2020, 01:45 PM
….The Fizzy will be starting properly this time.

That was pretty funny. We had the 38 - 40 year old bikes that each started up with one or two turns of the starter on the first touch of the button, and the fancy-shmancy bike refusing to start.

Sorry Dave, but I was quietly chuckling in my helmet at that.

Redman
01-09-2020, 03:31 PM
. . . . . . . Wedding anniversary is the 10th . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
I had that problem, er, um, ah, situation. . ... I had that situation when BC was in May. WOuld be okay for a few years, then conflict for a couple years, and so on.

Groove_Daddy
01-09-2020, 08:33 PM
Alrighty.

I've got this in my calendar. The budget is nasty tight but I'mma do my best to be there. Consider me 90%.

... and there's rumor that Mr. Burleson will be joining us. There's another rumor that the one and only TIM CLARKE (first timer) will be as well.

Baatfam
01-09-2020, 08:37 PM
... and there's rumor that Mr. Burleson will be joining us. There's another rumor that the one and only TIM CLARKE (first timer) will be as well.
getoutahere......

gbw
01-10-2020, 08:30 AM
I'm in! Can't wait.

ddaniels
01-10-2020, 11:05 AM
That was pretty funny. We had the 38 - 40 year old bikes that each started up with one or two turns of the starter on the first touch of the button, and the fancy-shmancy bike refusing to start.

Sorry Dave, but I was quietly chuckling in my helmet at that.

I was thinking the same thing, but I was quietly cursing in MY helmet. Also, that bike had been in the hands of another owner for a few years and I have no idea what maintenance was done to it. And now I'm making excuses...

ddaniels
01-10-2020, 11:12 AM

Usually, if the anniversary falls on a weekday, we celebrate on a Friday or Saturday evening anyway. So, we should be able to do it the weekend before.

ddaniels
01-10-2020, 11:12 AM
Just bring the wife with you. There's no reason you can't celebrate your anniversary with us guys at the Rosemount! 

So romantic...

Spyder
01-10-2020, 03:09 PM
I'm in ! ! ! Yeah, yeah, I know, I say that every year, and have to back out. Not this year. If I have to pitch a tent, and eat ramen, I'll be there! I will be on the (hopefully freshly painted) GSXR750W, and want to get at least one day in with the fast group, lol...

Dogma
01-11-2020, 10:21 AM
This is shaping up to be another good one already..

JohnnyL
01-11-2020, 10:30 AM
My son and I are hoping to be there. I can't commit just yet but this sounds like too much fun to miss.

Steve
01-11-2020, 11:42 AM
My son and I are hoping to be there. I can't commit just yet but this sounds like too much fun to miss.
With it happening pretty much in your own back yard, you had BETTER be there. :-\\\

Wingsconsin
01-13-2020, 12:21 PM
Made my reservations at the Holiday Inn Express again ;)
Using my points - breakfast included - Pool - excellent wifi -
I plan to be there this year and stay DRY instead of arriving wet and leaving in the rain like 2019 -
Hopefully the '83 GS850GL will be running even better than ever --
I may have new rubber on Kaizen by then too...If she needs it
And a trucklite headlamp -- (my 2020 upgrade plan)
Is it spring yet ?

oramac
01-13-2020, 11:13 PM
I'm in, but if we decide to take questionable roads, I may have to invest in training wheels.

salty_monk
01-14-2020, 01:46 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JSfq74DzvwU/maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe you need this Farkle? :D

alke46
01-14-2020, 02:39 PM
I'm in, but if we decide to take questionable roads, I may have to invest in training wheels.

How about showing up with an off-road bike since you seem to have a propensity to go off road occasionally.

alke46
01-14-2020, 02:43 PM
If the stars align again I'll make this rally... you never know! I'll be a late entry for sure. :D

Wow Dan, that would surely put the pressure on the guys that live within a thousand or so miles to show up. It would be a pleasure to have you there again.

salty_monk
01-14-2020, 04:04 PM
:D those guys need the good friends I have that make my Midwest visits happen... Friends that look after your spare bike gear for 5yrs, let you ride the wheels off their bikes etc etc... :)

Seriously though I've always loved joining the Chicago/Indy/Wisconsin/Iowa etc crowd :)

oramac
01-14-2020, 08:39 PM
I don't go THAT off road.

bwringer
01-15-2020, 01:51 PM
I don't go THAT off road.

True, three out of your four "incidents" in or near my company you have indeed stayed on the road, or what passes for a road. Just, y'know, inspecting the road surface a little more closely in two of them. In your close shave with Dale (2018 I think?), you both fortunately remained upright.

Maybe the total is five incidents depending on whether you count that bear sighting on the Virginia border as a positive or negative urinary ursine experience.

The circling buzzard and nearby bovine byproducts in 2019 really added to the overall ambience of the incident. That buzzard seemed pretty disappointed when we didn't leave your carcass behind.

In a way, I kinda feel bad. Am I some sort of bad luck charm just for you? ;)

I'll try to keep things more paved-ish this time around, but in the hills of southern Indiana I can only make one promise: there WILL be gravel frosting in awkward spots.

storm 64
01-15-2020, 02:14 PM
Or, join our group (Redman, Indy Bob, others and I) We don't ride real fast but we sure know how to get lost! Especially when I'm leading using my GPS! We always have to go back to Dave and his maps. 😃

salty_monk
01-15-2020, 02:35 PM
Just don't let Dave ride out on his own... he can't be trusted! ;) :D :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/gA74cRg.jpg

Spyder
01-15-2020, 03:40 PM
Vacation time is approved. This is happening.

Redman
01-15-2020, 05:46 PM
Just don't let Dave ride out on his own... he can't be trusted! ;) :D :lol:

Ha! That is about what my son said. He said he should accompany me this year after what happened last year when he let me go myself.

Speaking of "off road", and speaking of buzzards:

- You can see the bike didnt go too far off road. I myself did not go off road. (anybody want further details can look these links to last years threads. ( LINK (https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?254280-2019-Brown-County-GS-Hooraw-June-20-23-SAVE-THE-DATE!&p=2552535#post2552535)ABOUT THE INCIDENT) ( LINK (https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?256291-Kickstand-caused-collar-bone-injury-and-my-recovery&highlight=) About injury and Recovery)

- Were buzzards involved in my incident also. I had stopped in the road to watch a few buzzards (vultures? not accustome to seeing either around here) jostle for position to take turns ripping up some poor creature in the road. Sat there for a while then took off.... and.... and.....

Hey, Guys, Lets not have more of these stories this year.

Spyder
01-15-2020, 06:08 PM
We have turkey buzzards up here in the midwest. They keep our roads clean of living impaired critters...

Redman
01-15-2020, 08:32 PM
Vacation time is approved. This is happening.
Good. Has been a few years. 2016 I think.

oramac
01-17-2020, 11:52 PM
In a way, I kinda feel bad. Am I some sort of bad luck charm just for you? ;)

I'll try to keep things more paved-ish this time around, but in the hills of southern Indiana I can only make one promise: there WILL be gravel frosting in awkward spots.

No, I don't count the bear. I didn't drop the bike, and I didn't wet myself, so there was no "accident" of any type there. Otherwise, I can't speak to whether or not you're a "bad luck charm", but my bikes (both the SV and the Sprint) really do not respond well to crud in corners. I guess I just need to listen to the warning bells in my head the next time we turn down a *ahem* rustic path. That's usually when I think to myself, "surely a fluke like that won't happen again"...and I continue to be wrong. But, you have to admit, I keep coming back at it like a champ. :victorious:

Does that make me persistent...or stupid?

Steve
01-18-2020, 12:13 AM
Yes, it does. :-\\\

See you in June. :encouragement:

indybob
01-22-2020, 04:57 PM
Or, join our group (Redman, Indy Bob, others and I) We don't ride real fast but we sure know how to get lost! Especially when I'm leading using my GPS! We always have to go back to Dave and his maps. 

We do have a good time even when lost!
Bob

Dogma
01-24-2020, 10:37 PM
No, I don't count the bear. I didn't drop the bike, and I didn't wet myself, so there was no "accident" of any type there. Otherwise, I can't speak to whether or not you're a "bad luck charm", but my bikes (both the SV and the Sprint) really do not respond well to crud in corners. I guess I just need to listen to the warning bells in my head the next time we turn down a *ahem* rustic path. That's usually when I think to myself, "surely a fluke like that won't happen again"...and I continue to be wrong. But, you have to admit, I keep coming back at it like a champ. :victorious:

Maybe you just need different tires. I can just about picture this happening on one of Brian's interesting-looking squiggly lines on the map. I have to admit, I'm wondering if I could get my 1000G across that. Does anybody know if the GK luggage would act as a flotation device?

https://www.bikesrepublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Ricardo-Domingos-Credit-motorsport.com_.pt_.jpg

Griffin
01-25-2020, 02:10 PM
Maybe you just need different tires. I can just about picture this happening on one of Brian's interesting-looking squiggly lines on the map. I have to admit, I'm wondering if I could get my 1000G across that. Does anybody know if the GK luggage would act as a flotation device?

https://www.bikesrepublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Ricardo-Domingos-Credit-motorsport.com_.pt_.jpg

That's not too far off from conditions during your first BC Rally.

FoxyBLankworthy
01-27-2020, 06:07 PM
I'm in as usual. Plus one at least

bwringer
01-29-2020, 09:03 AM

I do know of several water crossings near our "usual" routes if you want to give it a go. A couple might even let you test your flotation abilities, depending on recent rainfall... :twistedevil:

Sadly, they've paved, closed, or bridged many in recent years. A few others have been pretty much ruined by idiots in Jeeps, pickups, and UTVs who like to sit in the middle and spin their tires to create ridiculous ruts and deep holes.

I've inspected a few up close, too. In this one near Rockville, the water was up a lot more than expected, and the concrete slab underwater that was supposed to provide a reasonably shallow crossing had collapsed in the middle. Oh well, the KLR needed a wash anyway.

After we got washed off the slab, the bike spent about 20 minutes completely underwater in the hollow the current dug downstream of the slab. I was getting tumbled around like a sock in a dryer, but I finally got my feet under me, found the bike by feel, and got it pointed upstream and upright after an epic struggle.
https://www.bwringer.com/gs/images/klr-swim-01.jpg

A few minutes later I was just about to start hiking when a group of ADV guys arrived. The joy that spread across so many hairy faces was truly touching. After snapping plenty of pictures of my predicament, they kindly started helping out.

You can see here how I'm standing down in the downstream hollow, and the second guy is standing on part of the slab, which is at a "crossable" depth. However, a bit further to the right, the slab had collapsed.
https://www.bwringer.com/gs/images/klr-swim-2.jpg

Once the bike turned sideways, there was no way to keep it upright against the current. We just dragged it out. That's what crash bars are for.
https://www.bwringer.com/gs/images/klr-swim-4.jpg

Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to hit the kill switch as I was going down. Long story short, I borrowed a phone (mine was waterlogged, obvs) to call my wife to come with a trailer. When I got it home, I drained over 2 gallons of oil and water. After draining that and draining the carb and inspecting everything (somehow not a drop of water got into the tank) I went through several oil changes with cheap Walmart oil and Sea Foam with progressively longer run times to ensure all the water was out. There were no lasting effects.

I'm still trying to convince my wife that if you fall off your bike and it's not on pavement, it doesn't actually count as a crash... it's an Adventure.

FoxyBLankworthy
02-18-2020, 02:59 AM
2019 was the first time I've seen cornfields worth fording. However, I didn't take the risk. Here's hoping Indiana 450 is accessible this year. My buddy missed out on some prime twisties. ;)

storm 64
02-18-2020, 09:00 AM
While I'm thinking about it. We need to bring our kickstand foot pads to put under the kickstand. We don't want to mark up Jay's new parking lot. I have a couple extras I'll bring. 👍

Spyder
02-18-2020, 10:36 AM
I will try to remember to pack mine.

ddaniels
02-18-2020, 01:22 PM
While I'm thinking about it. We need to bring our kickstand foot pads to put under the kickstand. We don't want to mark up Jay's new parking lot. I have a couple extras I'll bring. 👍
I'd have to buy one. But what about center stands?

storm 64
02-18-2020, 01:39 PM

Don't worry about it Dave, I'll have you covered. 👍

Steve
02-19-2020, 11:26 AM
Centerstands are actually WORSE. :-k

On the side stand, your 500-pound bike might be pushing 100 pounds or so on the stand's foot.

On the center stand, about 475 pounds of your bike's weight is sitting on the stand's two feet.

Yeah, it's more area, but a LOT more weight on them.

Wingsconsin
02-19-2020, 11:35 AM
Regardless of the method used ---
NEW asphalt will be softer than the old stuff and will likely be damaged by the stands
Using anything from a flattened pop can to a kick stand pad will help a LOT -

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revzilla-kickstand-pad

<strong>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-y1dnSupOw

Groove_Daddy
02-19-2020, 12:42 PM
Centerstands are actually WORSE. :-k

The point is ... throw down a small plank of 3/4" plywood so that all of that weight is evenly dispersed.

I think @ddaniels may only have a centerstand, so it's just a matter of finding a solution.

No problems. Only solutions. Heck, call the hotel. I'm sure they have a fix sittin' next to the dumpster.

Spyder
02-20-2020, 11:30 AM
A 2"X12" plank of 3/8 plywood should be enough to protect from a center stand. If anyone happens to be driving down, they may have a few solutions lying around they could bring with?

ddaniels
02-20-2020, 11:54 AM
The point is ... throw down a small plank of 3/4" plywood so that all of that weight is evenly dispersed.

I think @ddaniels may only have a centerstand, so it's just a matter of finding a solution.

No problems. Only solutions. Heck, call the hotel. I'm sure they have a fix sittin' next to the dumpster.

No, I have a side stand. I just seem to remember a lot of folks, myself included, putting them up on centerstands.

Spyder
03-02-2020, 04:34 PM
Is it Spring yet?!?

Redman
03-02-2020, 10:06 PM
. . . . . . . . . a lot of folks, myself included, putting them up on centerstands. Often do when loading-unloading the luggage, or checking oil.

storm 64
03-02-2020, 10:36 PM
Well, maybe I was over thinking this. I'm sure the pavement has had enough time to cure by the time we get there. I was just thinking fresh pavement and kick stands don't mix... Plus, it's winter, what else do we have to talk about. 🌞

ddaniels
03-03-2020, 02:35 PM
I did find my little plastic pavement protector. I'll throw it in just in case.

Spyder
03-03-2020, 03:49 PM
I tripped over mine Saturday. It will be in the bag. I really don't think we will need them, but it can't hurt to have it. We do stop a lot of places where the ground is soft.

Dogma
03-03-2020, 10:11 PM
I'll try to remember to have a loose piece of broken side case lid along. Maybe enough to share. The bungee net can hold the lid together and keep it about as waterproof.

Actually, I think there's a proper kickstand pad somewhere in the bowels of my tank bag. And I have new luggage. Both color and patina matched.

Wingsconsin
03-04-2020, 12:11 PM
I'll try to remember to have a loose piece of broken side case lid along. Maybe enough to share. The bungee net can hold the lid together and keep it about as waterproof.

Actually, I think there's a proper kickstand pad somewhere in the bowels of my tank bag. And I have new luggage. Both color and patina matched.

How will we recognize your bike now... :confused:

oramac
03-10-2020, 10:40 PM
How will we recognize your bike now... :confused:

Do we need to customize Dale's new luggage? Hold my beer...

bwringer
03-18-2020, 06:22 PM
Well, I hate to interrupt this ABSOLUTELY RIVETING string of chitchat and idle anecdotes about kickstand pads...

I got a Very Good Question from Scott earlier today. And by Very Good Question, I mean "I have no idea what the answer is".

That question is, of course, something like "So are we still planning the BC rally in June, what with all this virus stuff and all?"

And the answer is "I have no idea". The future is ridiculously murky for absolutely everything right now.

So here's my plan, much as I hate the filthy four-letter p-word: let's wait and see.

Normally about now I email last year's attendees to see how committed they are to returning. Then I contact the past attendees and newbies and assign rooms and so forth. Most years we have more butts than beds, so there's always a bit of juggling to fit everyone in, and a few folks end up staying elsewhere.

But I'm going to wait on that.

It's impossible to say right now how long the various travel restriction limitations and recommendations might last. We are 12 weeks from the rally right now, and still only in the first week of restrictions. We have no idea yet what the trajectory of this pandemic is going to be.

I'm thinking that in about four weeks we'll know a lot more about the shape of the curve and what to expect, and then we can decide whether to call it off "officially", wait a little longer to decide, or plan on full steam ahead with whatever steam is left.

Whatever happens with everyone's health and the economy in the next few months, I'm fairly sure this rally will be a lot smaller; there will definitely be a lot of disruption still playing out.

So in the best case scenario, if it is safe-ish to get together and we decide to do so, I don't think we'll have any trouble at all housing everyone.

I'm going with "let's wait and see" along with a perhaps foolish "very, very cautious slight optimism" at the moment.

Stay safe and healthy, my friends.

And get out and ride when you can. With clever use of pay at the pump and maybe whizzing in the woods and a bit of hand sanitizer, riding in the nice fresh air away from the city is a pretty healthy way to bring some sanity back into your life.

We had an absolutely lovely and wonderfully filthy scouting run on March 7 & 8, and I can report that the hills are still intact.

storm 64
03-18-2020, 07:01 PM
It seems the kickstand pad topic is so trivial now... Yeah, I agree with let's wait and see. Hopefully all this crap will be behind us by then.

gbw
03-18-2020, 07:07 PM
Good plan Brian.

I've had to cancel a couple of really cool trips because of this stuff. I'm hoping by the time BC comes around the world will be more normal.

cowboyup3371
03-18-2020, 09:33 PM
Good plan Brian.

I've had to cancel a couple of really cool trips because of this stuff. I'm hoping by the time BC comes around the world will be more normal.

As I told Brian earlier, I have already canceled one really nice trip i wanted to make the first weekend in April through Kentucky and would hate to cancel this one too but I'll do what needs to be done. I'm really hoping we can get some good news by June so I'll try hard to patiently wait and see.

Dogma
03-18-2020, 11:31 PM
Well, I hope we get to do this. I'll keep the vacation days and go riding somewhere if I'm not on a ventilator.

Resuming "normalcy"...

Do we need to customize Dale's new luggage? Hold my beer...

Let's not start that again... Anyhow, one of the lids already has a nice fiberglass patch in it. It just feels right.

With a new seat cover, the whole thing would be color matched. I hope people don't start taking me seriously.

Spyder
03-19-2020, 01:00 PM
Well, hopefully this will still happen. I have the vaca days already booked. We might get lucky, and this crap will have run it's course by then...

Wingsconsin
03-19-2020, 03:36 PM
I am planning (hoping) that we can move forward with this on schedule -

Perhaps the unsaid part of this is the impact on the economy and our respective jobs between now and that time.

Where I work we are free to take off as we see fit to protect ourselves -
However - we will need to burn PTO in order to be paid...
I have a generous amount of PTO in the bank and at 18+ years of employment I accrue more at a decent rate...

But there is a finite amount available while still retaining my status as a contributing member of the employment pool.

AND - the crash of the economy that looms in front of us may well affect these travel plans more than the illness ... :(

Be Well everyone

Spyder
03-20-2020, 01:49 PM
Scary times out there right now. I am fortunate enough to be able to work from home with full pay. I wish everybody the best of luck with whatever this crap brings to us. Stay healthy, and don't take any unnecessary risks...

ddaniels
03-25-2020, 02:47 PM
teleworking from home myself. Hate to miss this rally. I hope things start to turn around soon.

storm 64
03-31-2020, 07:25 AM
I say we give it some more time before we postpone. But if so maybe end of July- August... A whole week Scott? I don't think I could handle that! Lol

Baatfam
03-31-2020, 07:27 AM
I say we give it some more time before we postpone. But if so maybe end of July- August... A whole week Scott? I don't think I could handle that! Lol
I love your optimism, Norm. I don't share it, but I love it.:D

storm 64
03-31-2020, 07:48 AM
I love your optimism, Norm. I don't share it, but I love it.:D

Well, V-mass brought up a good point in the other thread about over taxing health care workers and such. Maybe it would be selfish of us to carry on with the rally? I don't know... Who knows, maybe the virus will leave as quick as it came.

Spyder
03-31-2020, 11:14 AM
Well, if people would just comply, and stay home (if they can), the spread would slow drastically. I really don't want to miss this rally this year. I have missed too many in the past years due to my own circumstances. Now this crap. I presume not all of us are able to work from home. This will of course put a big damper on those individuals finances. Which will effect their ability to attend this rally, even if postponed. I wish good luck to all of you during this crisis, and hope to see all of you in a couple months.

Wingsconsin
03-31-2020, 11:45 AM
I have my reservations at the Holiday Inn Express -
I can cancel them if this doesn't happen - I hope it will -
I think it will not -- I am concerned the Traveling Picnic in July will also be impacted --
This is not going away anytime soon in my opinion -
We need to stay safe and not become a statistic
Pray if you are so inclined - to your God of choice - and be well friends

Baatfam
03-31-2020, 11:53 AM
And, we are all assuming that the Rosemount will still be in business by then.

bwringer
04-01-2020, 07:56 AM
A lot could happen between now and then, that's for sure.

Ten weeks to go. Let's see what happens. If we need to postpone, we have the rest of the summer to choose from.

https://www.bwringer.com/gs/images/hasty.jpg

Baatfam
04-01-2020, 08:05 AM
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best...:)

ddaniels
04-02-2020, 12:08 PM
If the rally ends up happening on time, social distancing should probably still be implemented. Not hard while riding but could be tricky while socializing back at the Rosemont. The Indian feast may not be an option. In fact, eating anything could be tricky.

indybob
04-03-2020, 04:08 PM
Retired last year and now a bit scary living on a retirement income. Fortunate to have had a good nest egg but watching it bounce in the wrong direction now. But, really feel for the families with parents who are laid off of hourly jobs, restaurant workers, bike shops, etc. Stopped by a local shop and they are open for appointment only and the guy said they laid off 80% of their work force this week. Buckle up because it's going to be a rougher ride even.
Bob

bwringer
04-06-2020, 12:42 PM
Just talked to Jay (manager of the Rosemount) yesterday, and he asked me to pass on his well-wishes for everyone here to stay healthy!

He and his family are doing well, and he's closed the motel to travelers for the time being.

I told him basically the only decision we've made about whether to go ahead in June or postpone is that we'll decide later. We're still nine weeks out and we don't know nearly enough yet.

Steve
04-06-2020, 06:39 PM
If it happens, I'LL BE THERE!! :encouragement:

oramac
04-07-2020, 10:28 PM
I say it happens, even if we have to sit at far corners of the parking lot in rubber suits and vats of hand sanitizer and yell at each other. Shoot, that already sounds like a typical Friday night.

Spyder
04-08-2020, 10:14 AM
Think Jay will let us pitch tents in the lot? Isn't there a campground near by? Wonder if they are closed for this crap. If by chance The Rosemont has to remain closed, perhaps we could camp the weekend.

gbw
04-08-2020, 01:21 PM
Think Jay will let us pitch tents in the lot? Isn't there a campground near by? Wonder if they are closed for this crap. If by chance The Rosemont has to remain closed, perhaps we could camp the weekend.
Enjoy. As for me, if the motel is closed I'm staying home.

As much as I'd like to see everyone and spending a few days riding around with y'all, I'd rather stay home and watch other people ride motorcycles on YouTube than camp.

It's not that I'm opposed to camping. It's just that I don't like it and don't want to do it.

oramac
04-08-2020, 02:22 PM
It's not that I'm opposed to camping. It's just that I don't like it and don't want to do it.

I actually laughed out loud. Too funny.

Dogma
04-08-2020, 07:26 PM
Here in Ohio, the campgrounds are closed except for permanent residents.

ddaniels
04-09-2020, 11:06 PM
Nah, I'm not gonna camp either. We can reschedule later on.

indybob
04-11-2020, 11:15 AM
I will pass on camping as well. It is an artifact of my past!

Bob

1978GS750E
04-24-2020, 02:35 PM
Just wondering what the status of travelling is in Indiana? Any changes? Has anything opened up or are there plans to open motels anytime soon?

bwringer
04-25-2020, 08:03 AM
The current Indiana governor's order restricting travel, etc. lasts until May 1. At this point (April 25) we do not know whether that will be extended or what the sequence and timing of lifting restrictions will look like. Some counties cities have additional restrictions in place right now... bit of a hodge-podge.

At the moment, hospital/emergency services utilization throughout the state is actually far below normal, so that aspect of the risks of riding isn't a huge factor right now.

The rate of COVID-19 testing remains abysmal, even for people with symptoms, as it does everywhere, so predictions are fairly useless.

Anyway... seven weeks to the scheduled rally date.

To be blunt, I am leaning toward deciding not to decide anything about this rally for at least three more weeks. And even if it looks like things are going OK and we move forward, it could get cancelled by another stay at home order any time.

If you need certainty, you won't find it here or in any other aspect of life right now!

However, one interesting option we might consider is planning for a second rally later in the summer or fall. In June, whoever can make it will make it if it's legal and ethical to do so, and we just plan to go back for seconds later in the year. There are a few of us who are routinely riding in the area at least a few times a month in normal times, and we often stay at the Rosemount or nearby for a few days of riding once or twice later in the year. It's not like this thing takes much in the way of organization or planning.

cowboyup3371
04-25-2020, 09:30 AM
I agree with the idea of a second trip out there IF it comes to that. For now, let's wait and see what happens.

Dogma
04-25-2020, 05:26 PM
A 2nd helping of BC is an interesting idea.

Spyder
04-27-2020, 12:13 PM
I like that thought. I still have that weekend cleared out, and the funds stashed aside. So if we can "legally" do this, I'm still in. Bike is still ugly, but it is running pretty good :)

1978GS750E
05-05-2020, 05:39 PM
Looks like Indiana is opening up dine-in eating with restrictions next week, so maybe, just maybe.......But still a long way off and lots can happen!

bwringer
05-05-2020, 06:14 PM
We're under stay-at-home until May 15 here in Indy (Marion County), but the rest of the state lifted travel restrictions yesterday (5/4) and went to a new set of rules requiring social distancing, masks, sanitizing, etc. Social gatherings are currently restricted to 25 people.

The plan is for a gradual easing, and if everything goes OK, we'll be in Stage 3 or 4 by June and the rally, or perhaps a slightly revised version (no hugging, no spooning...), would certainly meet the letter and spirit of the restrictions.
https://www.wfyi.org/news/articles/governor-holcomb-outlines-how--and-why--the-state-will-reopen

All that said, if there's a second wave in a few weeks, we could be right back where we started and it definitely wouldn't be a good idea to get together in June. The numbers are a bit slippery, since we're also very rapidly ramping up testing. The state level decisions are being made based more on treatment capacity and testing numbers.

In my essential travels, I've seen pretty good compliance with the necessary measures in and around the city, but not much anywhere else.

We'll see what happens.

Steve
05-05-2020, 10:14 PM
Social gatherings are currently restricted to 25 people.
Based on the typical number of attendees, we might have to end up with two groups of 15.

How far apart would they have to be to maintain that "two separate groups" distinction? :-k

Spyder
05-07-2020, 10:16 AM
Given the work situation for many people, I would think we will be under 25. Just a prediction.

bwringer
05-08-2020, 08:02 AM
Given the work situation for many people, I would think we will be under 25. Just a prediction.

Yeah, usually Jay clears the place out for us and I'm playing human Tetris with the rooming list to find enough beds, playing matchmaker for roommates, etc. Even if we decide to go forward with some sort of version of this in June, I don't think we'll need to worry about that.

1978GS750E
05-12-2020, 08:11 PM
Only one month till the "scheduled" rally. Everyone stay vigilant on the social distancing, working at home and mask-wearing! I wanna ride someplace different!

Spyder
05-13-2020, 10:00 AM
I just wanna ride for a whole weekend. No list of crap to do, or fix...

ddaniels
05-17-2020, 04:32 PM
These might help protect Jay's new parking lot.
https://catchgadget.net/products/motorcycle-bicycle-foot-support-small-shoes

gbw
05-18-2020, 10:20 AM
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0356/9300/2811/products/10_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1589190097

That's cute, and fine for a casual bike. But my bike needs more formal foot ware. Do they make a wingtip?

storm 64
05-18-2020, 10:27 AM
Great idea! Where do you get them at??

1978GS750E
05-18-2020, 12:11 PM
Wonder if they make one for a Harley, with a big ole greasy black boot instead of a sneaker? Larry will want one for sure if they do!

Redman
05-18-2020, 02:18 PM
Ha!
But, nowhere in there does it say anything about the shoe having a plate or anything to increase the size of the kickstand, or make the sidestand work better on asphalt or dirt or anything.
And all the pictures are on cement.

Steve
05-18-2020, 02:58 PM
I have plenty of small squares that I am going to bring (assuming BC happens).

Already cut, ready for use on <my> new driveway, so it's nothing special for this event.

Wingsconsin
05-18-2020, 03:07 PM
​Regrettably today I made the decision to cancel my hotel reservations at the Holiday Inn Express at Bedford.

I am going to stay away from the June event - IF it is rescheduled for later in summer I would consider attending -

My work situation has not changed much, yet there are many disruptions that need to be resolved prior to feeling confident as well
as how we as a nation will do as the states are 're-opened' - I have my concerns about the immediate future and feel it is in my best interest to hold off.

Be well my fellows - I seek the day when we can be together again .

alke46
05-18-2020, 10:42 PM
Wonder if they make one for a Harley, with a big ole greasy black boot instead of a sneaker? Larry will want one for sure if they do!

They already make one but they call it a drain pan. It's for placement under the kick stand that extends to cover the entire area where the engine resides. Their claim is that this resolves the loss of oil through all the leak areas.

Spyder
05-19-2020, 11:32 AM
I too am beginning to reconsider attending on the given dates. I have the money, and the time off already set. The health risks are still a concern I am weighing out. As states begin "opening" back up, I fear we will see a resurgence in Covid cases. Especially in an area like Indy. I'm still on the fence...
Don't count me out just yet, but don't rely on me either. Just not sure right now.

I will be interested in attending a rescheduled meet.

cowboyup3371
05-19-2020, 05:38 PM
Although I'm not worried about any actual resurgence in cases I am concerned about the general tone surrounding the trip this year. What areas will be opened and how each of us will be received when stopping in at gas stations/eateries is really at the top of my worries. I'm not canceling out but I'm just concerned.

Groove_Daddy
05-19-2020, 09:53 PM
Sad to say but I have to bow out. It's a combination of factors. Miss you guys. Bummed.

bwringer
05-20-2020, 08:57 AM
Okely dokely, ladles and germs, I've spoken with Jay at the Rosemount and bounced some ideas around with assorted folks and here's where we stand.

We have two decisions to make, one collectively, one individually.

1) We need to pick an alternate date later in the summer for the full "Official Postponed BC GSR Rally Experience". Pandemic predictions at this point are, of course, not worth much, but most events large and small are postponing to July or later.

Personally, I'm flexible and wide open schedule-wise, so I'd be interested in some opinions from the GSR peanut gallery/hive mind on possible postponement dates. Once we have some dates on the table, then we can figure out the pros and cons, throw darts, flip coins, consult tea leaves and try to make the decision that makes everyone equally unhappy.

2) The rally on the original dates of June 11-14 is hereby cancelled. Or postponed, or however you'd like to look at it. :( :( :( :(

However...

The Rosemount is open and following the correct cleaning and safety processes, and a few of us do plan to stay at the Rosemount and go do some riding that weekend, assuming that's still OK at that time. Jay is holding a few rooms available for those of us who "just happen" to be in the area...

Yes, it is perfectly possible and responsible to go riding amidst "all this" without creating unacceptable viralogical risks.

One factor is, of course, the rider's behavior; practicing separation and sanitation. For example, I sanitize before and after touching gas pumps, and carry snacks and fluids to avoid entering gas stations, and wear a mask if I do need to go in. With a little thought and planning and maybe a "whiz in the woods" policy, one can ride all day without getting within smelling distance of another human or taking risks beyond the usual.

Curbside and carry-out food is easily and widely available, and most motorcycles easily double as parking lot picnic tables.

However, I can tell you that in rural Indiana as in many rural areas of the US, very few people ever paid the slightest attention to the CDC guidelines and restrictions. You won't catch me anywhere near a small town (or large town) Walmart or other store or gathering place, and if I had some dire Walmartian need, I'd take every possible precaution.

Another factor is being responsible about the other risks, the ones we don't like to think about. There's an Indiana state dashboard of COVID-19 stats here:
https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/
Indiana is one of the states that's doing a fairly good job of taking a science-based approach. Far from perfect, but the information and stats are as good as we can expect.

Down near the bottom are the stats on ICU and ventilator usage. Right now, there's plenty of spare capacity, so in the unlikely event a ride goes horribly wrong, I wouldn't be taking up space someone's Grandma with COVID-19 might need. If these numbers were to spike, then I'd stick to the minivan. In other words, my personal risks are my decision, but to the degree possible I will avoid creating potential risks for others. These treatment capacity stats are the ones driving most state and local government decisions.

There are also county by county stats on that page. Testing numbers are still vanishingly small but ramping up, so this mostly just looks like a population map. However, if the rural counties down south start to develop clear hotspots, especially in the death stats, I'll reconsider.

Another is that we plan to stay one person to a room. Unless you're rooming with someone you live with or are in regular contact with anyway, that might be a good personal policy as well. And of course, no hugging, handshakes, spooning, smooching, etc. no matter how happy you are to see each other.

Maybe we should also make sure we have plenty of fine barrel-aged sanitizing fluids available... ;)

So.

If you're one of the folks who might just happen to be interested in showing up in Bedford June 11-14, please email me at brian@bwringer.com with the days and room type you'd like to have.

Of course, everyone's financial, work, and medical situation and risks are different, so I leave these decisions to you. And of course if there's some reversal or flare-up, we will follow the available stats, recommendations, and restrictions.

Wingsconsin
05-20-2020, 10:15 AM
Sadly I think this might be a very adult decision -:eek-new:

I know adult and GS riders typically don't go together ; but this is a unique situation

My HOPE is that the Traveling Picnic still happens in JULY -
IF it DOES the week of July 20 -26 would be OUT for me.

If ya'll are hankering for a ride in July we have plenty of room for you (unless we don't at which point the gathering has been cancelled):confused:

August is pretty busy but September can find some really nice riding ;)

I wish you all well as we navigate these difficult decisions. :tranquillity:

bwringer
05-20-2020, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the info, Carl. We'll cross out that week in July, since I know a few GS-ers show up for that.

One other thing I'd add is that if you do want to try and just happen to show up in June, that you should retain maximum flexibility.

If there's a flare-up, then risk factors and decisions could change and restrictions could go back into place at any time.

My work and personal lives are very flexible, so canceling plans is no big deal.

If your situation is different, then maybe plan to sit out until BC2, Electric Boogaloo.

Spyder
05-20-2020, 01:19 PM
"BC2, Electric Boogaloo."

LOVE that, lol. I really want to just say screw it and show up down there. BUT, I really need to be a responsible head of my household, and not take any unnecessary risks for my family's sake. I can be pretty open with the reschedule, with as little as a weeks notice. I will do my best to keep the $$ I have set aside for this.

Thanks for keeping us updated Brian. I think I speak for all of us involved, that we really appreciate what you do for this rally.

cowboyup3371
05-20-2020, 09:57 PM
Thank you for the info Brian and for part Deux I really don't care what dates everyone decides it will will be; I'll be open for anything.

I'll let you know closer to the June date once I know what else I want to try doing this summer under the hope that things settle down enough to do SOMETHING.

gbw
05-20-2020, 11:49 PM
So should I call Jay and make a reservation myself for June 11-14? (never mind answering that. I re-read bwringer's post, so I'll email him).

I'm definitely going. Have no idea if I'll be able to attend a rescheduled rally, but I've got the time and funds secured for the original dates, so I'll be there.

In fact, I'm leaving this Saturday for a 9 day tour that goes through KY, OH, WV, VA, NC, TN and ends up Nashville IN, with 6 other like minded enthusiasts. I'll let you know how it goes.

As far as keeping safe, we'll practice social distancing, wear masks when necessary, and wash our hands a lot. But most of the time we'll be all alone on our bikes or in a hotel room. I'm sure dining will be mostly take out or gas station grub. Probably eat a lot of lunches from Styrofoam containers standing by our bikes in a parking lot. Hope it doesn't rain too much! Could make for some soggy meals.

Of all the things we could do, I consider this fairly low risk. Time will tell I suppose.

So, I'll be in Bedford during the original dates (God willin' and the creek don't rise). Look forward to seeing anyone else that shows up too.

Larry D
05-21-2020, 10:05 AM
Happy Birthday Brian W. !!!!!!!!:)

Spyder
05-21-2020, 11:30 AM
Happy Birthday Brian!

I am still at war with myself over the original dates. I really want to go...

ddaniels
05-21-2020, 10:34 PM
I'll be in for the rescheduled date if no conflicts. Will sit it out in June, unfortunately.

Dogma
05-22-2020, 01:32 PM
Email sent...

bwringer
05-23-2020, 07:56 AM
Happy Birthday Brian W. !!!!!!!!:)

Happy Birthday Brian!

I am still at war with myself over the original dates. I really want to go...

Thanks! You guys are both doing better than my wife who rarely remembers birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

Here are a few pics from my birthday at the Brown County GS rally in 2005, back when we used to do this thing in May. We moved to June a while back for slightly easier scheduling and far better weather odds.

I'm in the lighter blue jacket, Jim (forgot his real name, his username was something like "jim from Cincinnati" is on the left next to his cafe GS550. That's Steve "Planecrazy"'s GS1100G with its light on behind the unmarked cop car. Not sure where Steve was; he might have been behind me. The light is on because his starter had failed the day before, so he just left the thing running most of the day so we didn't have to push-start him so often.

Shortly after we got pulled over, another group rode past at a more respectful pace. One guy, Rich (rode a GS300) diverted onto a side road and took this long-distance shot of the perps on the scene hidden in the trees on a nearby hilltop.
https://www.bwringer.com/gs/brownco2005/busted1.jpg

The full shot:
https://www.bwringer.com/gs/brownco2005/busted2.jpg

Almost art, really:
https://www.bwringer.com/gs/brownco2005/busted3.jpg

Anyway, Jim was pretty worried because he had gotten a speeding ticket in Ohio recently, and two in one year is rather damaging to one's insurance rates. Steve put on his best radio announcer voice and respectfully asked for leniency.

After making us sweat for about 20 minutes, the state cop issued warnings, joking that it just wasn't right to ticket a guy on his birthday. And of course, it certainly helped that we were all sober, licensed, insured, helmeted, and wearing gear, placing us in the elite .01% of riders the cops encounter in Indiana. And that we were nabbed on a rather wide highway (446) doing 70 in a 55, which wasn't that egregious. Probably good that he wasn't patrolling on Highway 58 15 minutes earlier, to be honest.

So here I am with Steve to my left at a stop a little later. It's hard to tell, but the warning in my hand is light green. Actual tickets in Indiana at the time were usually plain white paper, and warnings were given on green, pink, or yellow. So as soon as the cop got out of his car, I saw green papers in his hand and knew we were getting warnings.
https://www.bwringer.com/gs/brownco2005/unbusted.jpg

storm 64
05-26-2020, 01:52 PM
We've heard from folks that are not going... Who is going to go to the rally?

1978GS750E
05-26-2020, 05:17 PM
We've heard from folks that are not going... Who is going to go to the rally?

You didn't say if you were going Norm! Maybe everyone is waiting to see if you are gonna make it!:cool:

I plan on being there, and hope you are as well!

bwringer
05-26-2020, 05:58 PM
Including me, there are six people planning to show up June 11, assuming it is reasonable and safe to do so.

storm 64
05-26-2020, 06:43 PM
Larry! Is Larry going? How about Cowboy... I'll shoot you a e-mail Brian

storm 64
05-26-2020, 06:56 PM
You didn't say if you were going Norm! Maybe everyone is waiting to see if you are gonna make it!:cool:

I plan on being there, and hope you are as well!

Ron, are you bringing your new bike? I'd really like to see it in person after all the work you did.👍

1978GS750E
05-26-2020, 07:25 PM
Norm, I'm riding the same GS1000 I trailered there last year, just with a little refreshing done to it! At least that's the plan right now.

Still getting used to riding the slabs without a huge black Harley fairing in front of me.:rolleyes:

The big trucks on the slab sure move the GS around a lot more than that 850lb Street Glide. But it is a lot more fun!:cool:

Steve
05-26-2020, 07:34 PM
I believe there might be three of us coming.

With a smaller group, we might not trailer anything and leave the tarps at home.

Baatfam
05-26-2020, 07:49 PM
Nope....too soon to be safe, (at least IMO). Y'all have fun and keep us posted on the official, later event.

alke46
05-26-2020, 09:33 PM

Norm, am I the Larry you are referring to here? Well if so the answer is no.
I was planning on being in Colorado during this event and even though those plans got crushed, I feel a bit like Bob (Baatfam).

Think I will pass on this one and hope for a later date for the get together. Especially with some of the selfish behavior exhibited by a bunch of azzhats this past weekend.

Hope you all have a good time though and report on the fun I will be missing.

storm 64
05-26-2020, 09:53 PM
That's fine Larr, I completely understand. I didn't mean to put you on the spot. We'll all meet up in better times... And hopefully that will be soon. 👍

cowboyup3371
05-26-2020, 10:30 PM

I was thinking about coming out possibly Friday night into Saturday but my 18 year old daughter just shot that plan to pieces when she said she was leaving for Oregon this coming Saturday and not returning until the 13th. It would leave my 15 year old alone all day Saturday which we can't allow so I'll have to wait for the postponed version now

alke46
05-26-2020, 10:55 PM
That's fine Larr, I completely understand. I didn't mean to put you on the spot. We'll all meet up in better times... And hopefully that will be soon. I

No problem Norm, you didn't put me on the spot. Yes to meeting up soon under better circumstances.

bwringer
05-27-2020, 09:07 AM
So far, we're up to ten people and nine rooms. We'll let out a cautious "Woohoo!"

We're all adults and motorcyclists around here, so I'll leave the individual risk assessments up to each of you.

Consider these plans very, very tentative and subject to change at any moment.

Indiana may be at a later stage in the "re-opening" plan by then, but for my part I will continue to practice social distancing, masks in public places, frequent hand washing, carryout/delivery food, etc. and I would hope and recommend everyone continues to do so in the strongest possible terms.

We'll plan on one person per room unless of course it's people who already live together. I've also asked Jay about skipping the usual housekeeping while we're there; seems like a simple way to limit exposure.

If you jumped in but things change so that you're no longer comfortable attending, please let me know ASAP so we don't wonder where you went. Obviously, if you may have been exposed or are not healthy, don't travel. Or if things change in Indiana, Lawrence County, Bedford, or at the Rosemount, I'll try to get in touch with everyone ASAP and PDQ.

This is the Indiana state dashboard for COVID-19:
https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/2393.htm

The stats I'm paying the most attention to at the moment are down at the bottom: ICU Beds Usage and Ventilator Usage. These are hard numbers that are updated daily. Right now we're in pretty good shape -- 40.8% ICU beds available, 82.1% ventilators available. If these availability numbers start to sink significantly, we'll scrub the mission.

We'll also keep an eye out for any developing "hot spots". That said, COVID-19 testing is ramping up rapidly but the rates and availability are still extremely poor as they are throughout the country. The county by county numbers reflect testing and population, and thus far tell us little about actual risk and infection rates. For example, Martin County (Shoals is the county seat) has a population of about 10,000 and has only tested 162 people, with 9 positive cases.

With a few simple changes in habits and practices, motorcycling is is perfectly compatible with social distancing and all the rest. But we absolutely want to avoid a situation where someone could be taking up medical resources in the unlikely event their ride ends badly.

Also, if the Indiana Governor decides to move the "re-opening" plan back to an earlier stage, we'll scrub. So far, our state government has mostly taken a measured, science-based approach. Not perfect by any means, but far better than some states that have succumbed to various flavors of denial (discussion of which we'll leave to the Vortex, please).

bwringer
05-27-2020, 03:26 PM
Also, I compiled and posted this list over on ADVrider a few days ago, and thought it could be relevant to the current situation.

Ridin' with 'rona...

1) Minimize the need to stop or interact. Carry some pop, water, and snacks, whiz in the weeds and woods if you can get away with it.

2) Carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer, and when getting gas, use pay at the pump, and use hand sanitizer before and after handling the pump. I've also seen folks carrying plastic grocery bags to use as a hand condom, then tossing the bag afterwards. Avoid going inside the convenience store if possible.

3) Carry a mask and wear it if it becomes necessary to go inside somewhere. I have a couple of cloth masks because the disposable masks are still pretty much unobtanium around here.

4) Carry a few gloves in case it becomes necessary for other reasons. I have some nitrile mechanic's gloves, so I bring a few pairs of these.

5) Sanitizing wipes have also become unobtanium around here, but a few paper towels with a few spritzes of alcohol in a Ziploc bag might be handy.

6) If you need food, use your cell phone to order online or call whenever possible, and squat-n-gobble in the parking lot. Most places provide forks and such, or perhaps carry a spork. Some places of course, you have to order carry-out over the counter. Pretty much every small town restaurant I've seen lately is happy for your business and offering curbside carry out.

7) I check the stats about current hospital capacity before blastoff. Ending up in the hospital on a given motorcycle ride is never a huge risk, but it's there and if there's a virus flare-up and the ERs are getting full I'll stay home.

8) Like a pilot, I have my "personal minimums"; a certain level of assorted risk factors where I'll alter or scrub the mission. During COVID-19 time, I'm reducing my personal minimums by a bit. For example, I'll leave a little later or get back a little sooner just to remove some of the fatigue factor. I'm also avoiding rain a bit more these days, and only mild dual-sporting with one or two trusted friends. If I'm by myself and my wife is working, I'll stay relatively close to home so that if I have a breakdown, there's at least a chance I could get a Lyft back home.

9) Avoid people is obvious, but also avoid places where people hang out and touch things. Don't stop at picnic spots, for example; use your motorcycle as a picnic table.

10) This one is important: Bring your IDGAF attitude. Lots of folks around the country are doing their damndest to ignore the virus and act like everything is normal, or even twist this whole thing into some insane control, religious or political issue. I can't control what they do, but I can and will take the simple, necessary steps to protect myself and others, and I will continue to do so as long as the danger exists.

blokv1100
05-27-2020, 08:29 PM
It's about this time of the year that I begin trolling this thread to see the names of old friends that I made from this rally. Hope that you are all doing well. Maybe 2021 for me?

Dogma
05-27-2020, 08:52 PM
That's a pretty good list, Brian. Do you have any special thoughts on how to best spend evenings hanging around the Rosemount? Just wear your mask and be prepared to step back from folks who get too close?

bwringer
05-28-2020, 09:51 AM
From the recommendations I've seen, masks are mostly needed in situations where you cannot always maintain distance or where you're in a relatively crowded, indoor space where you're forced to share the same air and everyone's touching everything. So your typical grocery store or home store, for example. The aisles simply aren't wide enough and in general people are fairly oblivious, blundering critters.

Masks also might serve to keep people from touching their faces, but then again a lot of folks can't help fidgeting with the things constantly, so I don't know about that. Filtering efficacy is all over the place (and really quite low unless conditions are ideal), but from what I've seen masks, even improvised masks, do help reduce the size of the "cloud" of particles each bipedal organism emits. I think there's also an important psychological effect; the mask serves as a reminder to use a different set of habits.

So anyhoo, if we're BS-ing outside from a reasonable distance, it doesn't appear that masks are needed.

Maybe metaphorical rubber boots or hip waders, depending on the depth of said BS... ;)

oramac
05-28-2020, 03:54 PM
Well...been away for about a week, and I've missed a lot of developments! E-mailed.

twr1776
05-29-2020, 02:05 PM
The "Region Riders" (Wazz and myself) will also be in attendance, as Brian mentioned previously the GS group will probably be the only ones trying to comply with the new normal. We have done a couple of "scouting" runs this year and essentially been the only ones. Can't fix stupid. :biggrin:

bwringer
05-29-2020, 04:54 PM
We're up to ten rooms and 12 or 13 people for the truncated BC rally, virus willing.

indybob
05-29-2020, 05:15 PM
Can't remember if I replied or not. Sort of how things are these days with one day resembling the next too often. Anyway, won't make it for the regular scheduled rally but will plan on the later date. May see if I can make it down to say hello or see you riding by on the roads. Be safe and have fun!
Bob

twr1776
06-01-2020, 08:37 AM
Bob, if you want to come down to ride for a day I promise to give you the recommended "social distancing" :D We did another "scouting" run Saturday and were one of the few still going with the program. Rough guess 10 - 20 % are with the program, balance not so much. :confused: We were on the KLR's and spent most of the day on gravel. Every time we did get close to one of the paved roads we saw lots of pirates. It had rained hard Friday so there were more water crossings than I have ever seen and a couple of possible crossings we did not attempt by Brownstown where the White river had gone over the banks.

indybob
06-01-2020, 05:27 PM
Thanks Tim! Yes, I am sure it is fairly uncommon to see to many with masks or paying attention to social distancing. Not much better up where I am these days either.

alke46
06-01-2020, 10:51 PM
I went in to an O'Reilly's today and I was the only one in the whole place wearing a mask and abiding by the 6' social distancing rules. Pizzes me off to see the jerks that think they are above the rules of common sense.
My next stop was at my local paint store. Door locked, had to call their phone number then the salesman came to the door to ask what I needed. He picked it up for me and rang up my cc then brought it out to the waiting area. Almost seemed like overkill but I preferred that to the lack of common sense at the O'Reilly's......Rant over.

Neil
06-02-2020, 09:53 PM
I'm in, WOOT

LAB3
06-03-2020, 06:35 AM
I've been assessing whether or not to go to the rally. Having my new project up and running by then would most likely put me in a "rush" situation which tends to slow me down in the long run since i'd have to redo things to get them right. A good friend in Indy just bought a C50 and I really want to get over that way but it's probably a bit too soon.

Dogma
06-03-2020, 06:42 PM
I'm in, WOOT

Awww yeah!!

gbw
06-03-2020, 10:39 PM
Awww yeah!!
Now that's funny right there :)

Glad you're coming Neil. Can't wait to hear all about your KY tour with Scott.

jonr
06-04-2020, 06:35 PM
Hmmm. I think its been too long since Ive been to Indiana...

ddaniels
06-04-2020, 10:53 PM
You all are making me jealous. Have fun!

bwringer
06-05-2020, 04:47 PM
The long range forecast is looking extremely friendly:
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/in/bedford

bwringer
06-09-2020, 08:27 AM
Below are some useful recycled GPX tracks and links from last year.

Flooding won't be an issue this year, so you won't need the "workarounds" found in some of these tracks. But they could be interesting in their own right.

And I can't guarantee that these tracks are accurate, paved, or even rideable, so regard them as vague hints, I guess. Sometimes it's difficult to choose the correct roads later on from the map.

Also, a few items of bidnez:

- Tim and I will be gone most of Saturday for a dual-sport riding class that got rescheduled.

- This marks the 11th year we've held this rally at the Rosemount in Bedford; the first year was in 2009. Jay's hospitality has always been spectacular.

- I'll have some paper maps on hand, and am happy to dispense route advice.

- Y'all should have my cell number and email. Email, text, or call as you see fit.

- I've exhaustively documented my personal ride leadership style and philosophy here on our pal Robin's website. I think it's well worth a read, if I do say so myself. Many of the lessons laid out here were learned by finding ways to make these rallies safer and more fun and interesting.
https://www.theridingobsession.com/group-motorcycle-ride-leader/

- We have all been very badly deprived of saddle time this spring, thanks to, you know, "all this". Please keep this in mind as you choose your velocities and angles; we're all very rusty. And as always, road surfaces in Indiana are liberally coated with interesting and exciting substances. Please keep the excitement to a minimum.

Mmkay, here are some tasty tracks. These are all on GPSies -- look for the big green "Download Track" button.

This is the "classic" southern route, with a few modifications to route around likely flooding:
https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=sxnilqvgsuqarduq
Since we don't have flooding issues this year, the southern part of 66 should be clear. However, 145 and 545 over to the west are closed (not sure the closest workarounds are paved...), and 150 is closed southeast of Shoals (although there is a way around the closure on 150.) I'm not sure I'll have time to generate a modified track.

450 flooding detours. Not needed this year, but nifty little back roads.
https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=utzcgloiaosqfabq

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I think this is a fun back road route from Bedford to Salem. Let's put it this way: I know a wonderfully scenic and 100% paved route exists, but I don't know for sure whether this track is that. I built it after the fact...
https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=frfcwuoksbdpewhe

This track seeks out the tightest gnarliest nuttiest back road twisty bits over to the southeast of Bedford (Borden, Floyd's Knobs). Names you will remember include Daisy Hill Road, Blunk Knob Road, and two different Skyline Drives.
https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=jaokbixkhiekofqy
230 miles. Preeeeeety sure it's all paved, but it's quite possible I grabbed the wrong skinny line on the map here or there.

This is a somewhat shorter northern route, about 175 miles, that hits quite a few highlights and visits the Tulip Viaduct railroad trestle outside Solsberry:
https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=bhnfjozxjdvweozb
Again, not 100% sure this is 100% paved; it was constructed after the fact, so I might have chosen the wrong road here or there.

An even shorter version of a north route, 115 miles. This one stays mostly on highways, but uses back roads to skip most of Bloomington and Nashville.
https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=kyqgbcedhywbcdcf

salty_monk
06-09-2020, 01:48 PM
Have fun, ride safe! :)

cowboyup3371
06-09-2020, 11:16 PM
I wish I could have made it even for Saturday but alas, not to be. Please let me know when the next official date will be.

gbw
06-11-2020, 07:39 AM
Getting loaded up now. Heading out in an hour or so. Looking forward to spending the day riding the backroads of TN, KY, and IN. Planning to stop at the Riverview Restaurant (2220 Indian Lake Dr, Hawesville, KY 42348) for lunch, assuming they're open. See y'all this evening!

bwringer
06-11-2020, 08:13 AM
Mostly loaded, will be heading out a little later to meet up with Tim and Wazz.

I am giddy, I tell you. GIDDY as a schoolgirl.

storm 64
06-11-2020, 08:28 AM
I'm still stuck here at work! I'm hoping to get out at noon. If I work a full day, I'll probably be rolling into Bedford tomorrow morning... I'm in contact with Steve to let him know of my plans and whereabouts. I'll see you guys when I get there. 👍

Wingsconsin
06-11-2020, 09:48 AM
I have done you all a favor by electing to stay away --
You will notice the rain has abated , and none is in the immediate forecast ;)
Not that I am bad luck or anything...but last year the rain seemed to follow me into and out of Bedford

RIDE SAFE and BE WELL to all who are going.

Steve
06-11-2020, 11:55 AM
Thanks, Carl. :encouragement:

We'll see you next month at The Picnic. https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/images/smilies/willy_nilly.gif

We are doing our final packing, probably get there between 5 and 6.

Dogma
06-11-2020, 11:59 AM
I picked up the crucial missing circuit for my overthruster from the UPS place this morning (long story), got the bike reassembled and completed the test run. Loading next...

gbw
06-11-2020, 12:47 PM
Made it to the Riverview restaurant. Having a nice lunch. See y’all soon.

ddaniels
06-12-2020, 08:51 AM
Have fun, stay safe.

Wingsconsin
06-13-2020, 09:24 PM
Really ...? No Pictures yet ...?
Too much riding and revelry I surmise --
Be safe y'all !

1978GS750E
06-14-2020, 01:23 PM
Just made it home at 1:00 this afternoon. Of course......... it rained this morning! Cleared up around 8:30 or so.

Great weekend riding teriffic roads with good friends. No accidents, a few close calls, but nothing scratched or broken on anyone that I heard about.

Can't wait to do it again!

Steve
06-14-2020, 02:06 PM
2:05, checking in, uneventful ride home. :encouragement:

Redman
06-14-2020, 02:43 PM
I picked up the crucial missing circuit for my overthruster . . . . . .... Is that an upgrade for the flux capacitor ?

Redman
06-14-2020, 02:45 PM
. . . .
Great weekend riding teriffic roads with good friends. No accidents, a few close calls, but nothing scratched or broken on anyone that I heard about.

. . . .

Good.

Anyone else have any ride reports . . ?

storm 64
06-14-2020, 03:06 PM
I'm still motoring up the highway. I'm in Zanesville Ohio now, I stopped for lunch. It's a nice cool ride, it's up to 73 just perfect! I'm in no hurry to get home... I did have a good time, however I did miss a few folks that couldn't make it.

Redman
06-14-2020, 03:27 PM
Any report on how Jay is doing. . ?

gbw
06-14-2020, 04:40 PM
Glad to see reports of folks getting home, or making their way home, without issue.

I arrived home about 2:30pm Central Time. The ride from Bedford into KY was pleasantly cool and mostly rain free. Of course that didn't last. Ended up spending about 2 hours sitting at a gas station in Smiths Grove, drying out, warming up, having lunch, and waiting for the weather to clear, which it finally did. The rest of the ride home was dry but still cool.

Came home to an empty house. It's eerily and unusually quite while I wait for the rest of the family to return from their own weekend trip to Memphis. Think I'll rest until they get here.

I've gotta say, this was certainly the best non-rally rally I've ever attended. The weather was great, the riding was fantastic, and the company was excellent and hilarious.

Big thanks to Rodney for co-leading rides with me on both days. And to Ron, Wazz, Dale, and Neil for being exemplary riding companions. Thanks also to Brian for the loose organization that made this possible, to Jay for his always warm hospitality, to all attendees for great times and stories at the end of each day.

A final round of thanks to the Great State of Indiana's Department of Transportation for providing the roads (some of which have been maintained), and to state and local law enforcement for paying no attention to us whatsoever!

gbw
06-14-2020, 04:43 PM
Any report on how Jay is doing. . ?
Jay seems quite well. He was very happy to see us but sad it wasn't the larger group. His father is quite ill, so at high risk. So he's been closed for a while and been practicing extreme social distancing. But while we were there he was in great spirits and looks forward to a rescheduled rally in the future.

Dogma
06-14-2020, 07:17 PM
Is that an upgrade for the flux capacitor ?

More of a capacity conduit. I discovered a separated intake pipe about the middle of last week.

alke46
06-14-2020, 07:21 PM
I had to pretend I was riding home from the rally. While you guys were enjoying the 70 degree temps, my ride was at 91 and about 40% humidity. Felt it was time to take the bike out just so the lubricants and battery were attended to. It's been sitting nearly 3 weeks with no attention.

Dogma
06-14-2020, 07:30 PM
2:05, checking in, uneventful ride home. :encouragement:

I had made up mind to joint you lot for breakfast, but popped in at Dollar General to find some sunglasses. That took too long, and you would have been halfway through eating when I arrived. By then I had decided the roads were dry enough to NOT take 50 directly home. So I found a way to connect to Brian's route between Bedford and Salem through a place called Pinhook and proceed as normal. I took 250 all the way to the river before I remembered the detour. I had to backtrack through some gnarliness all the way to Quercus Grove. I got home about 3:15 and collapsed on the couch from sleep deprivation. Good weeked.

oramac
06-15-2020, 12:31 AM
I got back home before lunch. I was gonna do a bit more riding on the way, but thought better of it with the squishy roads and somewhat chilly temps. This weekend was fantastic. We had an excellent run down south on Friday, and an even better day of riding north of Bedford on Saturday. The pace both days was brisk but (in my opinion) reasonable, and everyone managed to keep the shiny bits off the pavement this year...myself included. I saw fantastic roads, wonderful panoramic pastoral vistas that felt like I had just ridden into a landscape painting, and a variety of assorted wildlife (including the turkey vulture that tried to hi-five Neil's face). All in all, it was a wonderful weekend of riding and camaraderie, albeit the people that couldn't attend were definitely missed.

I live relatively close, and I ended up with nearly 900 miles total for the weekend. Thanks to Brian, as always, and to all the people that made it out.

bwringer
06-15-2020, 09:05 AM
Uuuuuhhhhh... dittos to all the above. Fantastic to see everyone.

Tim, Wazz, Neil and I had a fantastic meandering ride down to Bedford on Thursday.

On Friday, I pulled a new route out of my bag of tricks that took us southeast of Bedford for some epic technical tight twisties in and out of various valleys and along the ridges. There were some epic views of New Albany and Louisville from Skyline Drive, although sparing a moment for a glance was not advisable. It was my first time riding with Steve and Bonita's son Brad, who seemed to enjoy himself greatly

It was mostly this route; I revised some bits on the fly, and there was some construction on the back roads north of Salem that made for challenging rerouting. Souders Road near Borden is mostly closed (it's been closed for many years other than a short dead end near Borden; no idea why it's still on all the maps), but Daisy Hill Road and Jackson Road make up for the loss with epic twisty nuttiness. There was a short steep uphill stretch of Highwater Road outside of New Albany that was... memorable. It used to be paved, and mostly is, but it's also badly washed out and thus far hasn't been repaired for whatever reasons. Perfectly passable on any bike with a bit of care, but it gets your attention.

This track seeks out the tightest gnarliest nuttiest back road twisty bits over to the southeast of Bedford (Borden, Floyd's Knobs). Names you will remember include Daisy Hill Road, Blunk Knob Road, and two different Skyline Drives.
https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=jaokbixkhiekofqy
230 miles.
I really need to revise this or post a new version while the updates are fresh in my head.

On Saturday, Tim and I ducked out for an Adventure riding class over near Columbus that had been rescheduled for this weekend. We came back sore and exhausted, with lots of new and improved skills and of course lots we'll need to work on improving. Motorcycling is like aviation; the more you learn, the more you learn about what you don't know. I did things with my KLR650 that I did not know were even possible. I wish there had been more opportunity for pics and video. Yes, a KLR can fly.

And on Sunday, Tim and I balanced fun with efficiency and made our way north until the twisties ran out. The buffet was closed, but the made-to-order breakfast at the Gatesville Country Store north of Nashville, IN was excellent. I arrived home around 3:00 pm.

It was fantastic to see everyone, and we're hoping to schedule a second chance rally in August or September; still working that out. And in any case, if you're traveling or have a spare day or two, I'd encourage folks to visit the area and maybe even stay with Jay at the Rosemount whenever you have a chance. As noted above, he's being very careful and safe about sanitation and such.

Thanks to everyone for a safe and memorable mini-rally!

Rich82GS750TZ
06-15-2020, 10:20 AM
Would be cool to see some of these roads. I don't suppose anyone shot any bike/helmet mounted GoPro video on any of the rides?

alke46
06-15-2020, 11:14 AM
Good to read all the ride reports and I must say I am really proud of Rodney (oramac) for keeping the shiny bits shiney this year:p.

bwringer
06-15-2020, 12:49 PM
Good to read all the ride reports and I must say I am really proud of Rodney (oramac) for keeping the shiny bits shiney this year:p.

For some odd reason, Rodney didn't ride with me this year. He assured me it wasn't because I've become some sort of bad luck charm... ;)

ddaniels
06-15-2020, 01:24 PM
Pictures??? Please.

gbw
06-15-2020, 01:38 PM
I didn't take a lot of pictures. But here's what I have:

Is this the future of the GS Rally?
[storm 64 (Norm)]

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50009237288_d0840a4910_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jc9pX7)BC 2019 (https://flic.kr/p/2jc9pX7) by Greg White (https://www.flickr.com/photos/184309811@N03/), on Flickr

What's this? GS's at a GS Rally?
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50009237638_625b669122_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jc9q49)BC 2019 (https://flic.kr/p/2jc9q49) by Greg White (https://www.flickr.com/photos/184309811@N03/), on Flickr

A toast to an excellent day. We toasted BAATFAM for providing this specific bottle of Weller 107. It was superb.
[left-to-right: gbw (Greg) and Oramac (Rodney)]
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50009765331_6832aab3b1_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jcc7Vi)BC 2019 (https://flic.kr/p/2jcc7Vi) by Greg White (https://www.flickr.com/photos/184309811@N03/), on Flickr

Hanging out
[left-to-right: TWR1776 (Tim) and storm 64 (Norm)]
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50009236678_0bbb51613c_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jc9pLA)BC 2019 (https://flic.kr/p/2jc9pLA) by Greg White (https://www.flickr.com/photos/184309811@N03/), on Flickr
[Left-to-right: 1978GS750E (Ron), Dogma (Dale), Griffin (Brett...I think), bwringer (Brian), TWR1776 (Tim)
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50009236618_aa83834c9e_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jc9pKy)BC 2019 (https://flic.kr/p/2jc9pKy) by Greg White (https://www.flickr.com/photos/184309811@N03/), on Flickr
[left-to-right: Oramac (Rodney), Steve (Steve), Dogma (Dale), Griffin (Brett...I think), bwringer (Brian), TWR1776 (Tim), storm 64 (Norm), and 1978GS750E (Ron).
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50010027457_97d2a303d8_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jcdsQH)BC 2019 (https://flic.kr/p/2jcdsQH) by Greg White (https://www.flickr.com/photos/184309811@N03/), on Flickr

Rich82GS750TZ
06-15-2020, 01:43 PM
Would it be too much to ask for captions with Usernames (w/ First names, if OK'd my the member.) It's always nice to be able to put faces with names.

Baatfam
06-15-2020, 02:10 PM
A toast to an excellent day. We toasted BAATFAM for providing this specific bottle of Weller 107. It was superb.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50009765331_6832aab3b1_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jcc7Vi)BC 2019 (https://flic.kr/p/2jcc7Vi) by Greg White (https://www.flickr.com/photos/184309811@N03/), on Flickr

Outstanding. I have another unopened bottle looking at me from the side board. When you coming out?

gbw
06-15-2020, 02:21 PM
Would it be too much to ask for captions with Usernames (w/ First names, if OK'd my the member.) It's always nice to be able to put faces with names. Done. I didn't check with anyone before I associated their name and image together. Hope it's ok.

storm 64
06-15-2020, 03:23 PM
I got to the rally a day late (Friday). Then I got bit by a large white Spider, Luckily it wasn't poisonous or infectious! I did tell Bonita (Mrs. Steve) that I'd stop making fun of them Spiders. Saturday, I had a good time riding with Brent and Ron. Apparently Ron took a little off road ride in the grass after over shooting a turn. No big deal as it was only grass and not a CLIFF! Saturday night's BS session was fun. You guys need to let up on Neil about the gas stop. Haha. Also thank you Rodney for the beers, I thought I had enough to get me through the night but nooo. Oh, Saturday evening at dinner, Dale(Dogma) orders pie and icecream for dinner, says he's on vacation to justify it! Yes, I had a good time. But sure missed the regulars that couldn't make it. I'm sure Larry's ears were burning, we were talking about him! Redman and Indy Bob, I missed our Friday ride together. Hopefully we can all meet up at a later date. ��

bwringer
06-15-2020, 03:31 PM
Tim sticking the landing on his KLR after our training class. Squish that suspension! The ramps were exercises in dealing with obstacles:
https://www.bwringer.com/gs/images/tim-landing.jpg

The day was full of gnarly photo and video ops, but we didn't have time or energy to think about that.

We were welcome to use the ramp after class for photos to amuse and appall family and friends.

Here's my short flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGh6rXyhVGk

Tim's version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzb0MAw1-x0

salty_monk
06-15-2020, 03:35 PM
Yes, a KLR can fly.

I hope you've done the footpeg bolts! :lol:

Redman
06-15-2020, 04:24 PM
Good to hear the reports..... and see pictures...

but someone please give a more specific account of that norm-Spyder picture. . . Bonita was mentioned.

alke46
06-15-2020, 05:35 PM
Good photos guys and also nice vids. Thanks for posting.

alke46
06-15-2020, 05:36 PM
Who brought the white can-am?

salty_monk
06-15-2020, 05:53 PM
I think I saw somewhere that it was "Mrs Steve" :)

gbw
06-15-2020, 06:00 PM
Outstanding. I have another unopened bottle looking at me from the side board. When you coming out?
I was trying to coordinate a trip for when Nardy comes down. Just don't know when that will be yet. But I'm getting tired of waiting. So maybe sooner rather than later!

Baatfam
06-15-2020, 06:12 PM
I was trying to coordinate a trip for when Nardy comes down. Just don't know when that will be yet. But I'm getting tired of waiting. So maybe sooner rather than later!
Well, if nothing else, we have the rescheduled official BC rally.....

bwringer
06-15-2020, 06:16 PM
I hope you've done the footpeg bolts! :lol:

Of course! The stock cheddar cheese was replaced long ago with grade 12.9. They've held up nicely ever since. Same for the subframe bolts, doohickey, etc.

I bought my KLR at the end of 2011 (December 31, 2011, to be exact) and the PO had upgraded nothing on the bike. Absolutely bone stock, which is exactly what I wanted, with less than 12,000 miles. So it got a long list of farkles and updates before I ever rode it; I ended up spending about as much as the purchase price again by the time I first rode it in February 2012.

The guy had never even ridden down a gravel road; he simply rode the KLR back and forth to work, where it spent its days in a sunny parking lot turning pink on the right side. The local dealer hosed him over big-time for a tire change a few months before, so I think he decided he wasn't actually saving any money.

Anyway, yep, the deluxe Spyder is Bonita's. Interesting machines!

My wife Marge, who is of similar (lack of) stature, is very interested in the Spyder lyfe as well.

twr1776
06-15-2020, 08:47 PM
My form was not quite as good as Brian's but at least I did not dump it. :rolleyes: The dual sport class was definitely worth it for those considering getting "dirty". ;) There were 3 KLR's, lots of BMW GS800's and 1200's, a KTM 1190 Adventure and a Tiger 800. The guy on the Tiger did fall awkwardly during the low speed slalom course and separated his shoulder but called a doctor friend and was told he could not damage it more if can endure the pain and he did finish the class.

As always a great group of "enthusiasts" and it was good catching up with everyone.

oramac
06-15-2020, 09:18 PM
Rest break on Friday in Derby, on the Ohio River. Look close, and you'll see some GSers.

oramac
06-15-2020, 09:20 PM
Obligatory Medora Covered Bridge photo for Don. Luckily, this photo is not scratch-and-sniff.

oramac
06-15-2020, 09:22 PM
I began to notice my rear brake was starting to feel a little...different. I'd say I got my money's worth out of them. Not to the metal...but, dang.

marvinsc
06-15-2020, 09:35 PM
Every last Penny. LOL

storm 64
06-15-2020, 09:50 PM
Good to hear the reports..... and see pictures...

but someone please give a more specific account of that norm-Spyder picture. . . Bonita was mentioned.

The Can-am Spider is Bonita's new ride! She, well Steve let me do circles in the parking lot. Well with the one circle, I was running out of room so I decided to go down the hill and into the street to get turned back around. That's when Bonita thought I was taking off with her bike! She yelled at me to get back here!🤨
In the past I always made fun of them Spiders. But if a machine like that can extend the pleasure of riding to someone. Who the heck am I to diss anyone for riding one? Ride on Mrs. Steve👍

Steve
06-16-2020, 12:31 AM
Yes, it's Bonita's new ride. She has been talking about one for years as a 'dream machine' for when she might start feeling uncomfortable holding up a two-wheeler. Things have aligned to make it happen, so she has it now. :encouragement:

Now, as scary as it might be to see Norm on three wheels, how about this? :-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C36h8o3pQJM

Several years ago, Jay went for a short ride (about 10 miles) on the back of my Wing. That was the first time he had ever been on a motorcycle. When we were talking this year, he mentioned that, although a lot of the others back home in India had motorcycles, he never did, so he enjoyed the ride. I offered a short course in the basics, he took a couple of laps around the parking lot. I fumble-fingered the start button on my phone, so I did not get the first lap. It was MUCH more entertaining, with him whooping and hollering with the joy of piloting a 'motorcycle' for the first time.

ddaniels
06-16-2020, 02:20 PM
Priceless! And the parking lot looks great too.

Spyder
06-16-2020, 03:17 PM
My ears are burning! What's all this talk about Spyders? Leave us alone!!

Sure wish I was there with all of you. Looks like it turned out to be a great (mini) rally. Sure hope the rescheduling works out for all of us.

Ride on Bonita ! ! !

salty_monk
06-17-2020, 12:28 AM
Of course! The stock cheddar cheese was replaced long ago with grade 12.9. They've held up nicely ever since. Same for the subframe bolts, doohickey, etc.

I bought my KLR at the end of 2011 (December 31, 2011, to be exact) and the PO had upgraded nothing on the bike. Absolutely bone stock, which is exactly what I wanted, with less than 12,000 miles. So it got a long list of farkles and updates before I ever rode it; I ended up spending about as much as the purchase price again by the time I first rode it in February 2012.

The guy had never even ridden down a gravel road; he simply rode the KLR back and forth to work, where it spent its days in a sunny parking lot turning pink on the right side. The local dealer hosed him over big-time for a tire change a few months before, so I think he decided he wasn't actually saving any money.

Yeah I was being somewhat facetious... I would have bet a lot of money that would be the case! I think I ended up tapping mine out for a bigger diameter bolt size. :)

ddaniels
08-17-2020, 01:20 PM
Am I to assume this rally is officially NOT going to officially happen this year?

Steve
08-17-2020, 08:01 PM
Am I to assume this rally is officially NOT going to officially happen this year?
Uhhh, Dave, ... it's already happened. https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif

About 15 of us showed up, had a good time.

Yeah, there is talk about having another one for those who didn't want to show up for the REAL event,
not sure what the current status is.

Wingsconsin
08-17-2020, 08:13 PM
Okely dokely, ladles and germs, I've spoken with Jay at the Rosemount and bounced some ideas around with assorted folks and here's where we stand.

We have two decisions to make, one collectively, one individually.

1) We need to pick an alternate date later in the summer for the full "Official Postponed BC GSR Rally Experience". Pandemic predictions at this point are, of course, not worth much, but most events large and small are postponing to July or later.

Personally, I'm flexible and wide open schedule-wise, so I'd be interested in some opinions from the GSR peanut gallery/hive mind on possible postponement dates. Once we have some dates on the table, then we can figure out the pros and cons, throw darts, flip coins, consult tea leaves and try to make the decision that makes everyone equally unhappy.

2) The rally on the original dates of June 11-14 is hereby cancelled. Or postponed, or however you'd like to look at it. :( :( :( :(

However...

The Rosemount is open and following the correct cleaning and safety processes, and a few of us do plan to stay at the Rosemount and go do some riding that weekend, assuming that's still OK at that time. Jay is holding a few rooms available for those of us who "just happen" to be in the area...

Yes, it is perfectly possible and responsible to go riding amidst "all this" without creating unacceptable viralogical risks.

One factor is, of course, the rider's behavior; practicing separation and sanitation. For example, I sanitize before and after touching gas pumps, and carry snacks and fluids to avoid entering gas stations, and wear a mask if I do need to go in. With a little thought and planning and maybe a "whiz in the woods" policy, one can ride all day without getting within smelling distance of another human or taking risks beyond the usual.

Curbside and carry-out food is easily and widely available, and most motorcycles easily double as parking lot picnic tables.

However, I can tell you that in rural Indiana as in many rural areas of the US, very few people ever paid the slightest attention to the CDC guidelines and restrictions. You won't catch me anywhere near a small town (or large town) Walmart or other store or gathering place, and if I had some dire Walmartian need, I'd take every possible precaution.

Another factor is being responsible about the other risks, the ones we don't like to think about. There's an Indiana state dashboard of COVID-19 stats here:
https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/
Indiana is one of the states that's doing a fairly good job of taking a science-based approach. Far from perfect, but the information and stats are as good as we can expect.

Down near the bottom are the stats on ICU and ventilator usage. Right now, there's plenty of spare capacity, so in the unlikely event a ride goes horribly wrong, I wouldn't be taking up space someone's Grandma with COVID-19 might need. If these numbers were to spike, then I'd stick to the minivan. In other words, my personal risks are my decision, but to the degree possible I will avoid creating potential risks for others. These treatment capacity stats are the ones driving most state and local government decisions.

There are also county by county stats on that page. Testing numbers are still vanishingly small but ramping up, so this mostly just looks like a population map. However, if the rural counties down south start to develop clear hotspots, especially in the death stats, I'll reconsider.

Another is that we plan to stay one person to a room. Unless you're rooming with someone you live with or are in regular contact with anyway, that might be a good personal policy as well. And of course, no hugging, handshakes, spooning, smooching, etc. no matter how happy you are to see each other.

Maybe we should also make sure we have plenty of fine barrel-aged sanitizing fluids available... ;)

So.

If you're one of the folks who might just happen to be interested in showing up in Bedford June 11-14, please email me at brian@bwringer.com with the days and room type you'd like to have.

Of course, everyone's financial, work, and medical situation and risks are different, so I leave these decisions to you. And of course if there's some reversal or flare-up, we will follow the available stats, recommendations, and restrictions.

Uhhh, Dave, ... it's already happened. https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif

Yeah, there is talk about having another one for those who didn't want to show up for the REAL event,

Not sure that adds up

1978GS750E
08-17-2020, 08:41 PM
How about October 1st-4th? Is anyone game for those dates?

Steve
08-17-2020, 08:52 PM
Not sure that adds up
That's OK, Carl, you just did not emphasize the IMPORTANT parts. :-\\\

However...

It may not have been the "Official" rally, but there were many of us that just "happened to be in the area" that weekend. https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif

storm 64
08-17-2020, 08:54 PM
I was thinking about a mini rally based out of the Florance/Lexington Kentucky area. Sometime later in September. Even if it's just a meet up on Friday-Saturday morning ride the area then retreat to home or hotel. I've chatted with Ron about the idea, and he seems to be on board. I know of a few other fellows in the area that might consider meeting up... Put it this way. I'll be in the Florance Kentucky area the end of September to explore the aria. It would be great to ride with other folks too. 🙂

Steve
08-17-2020, 08:55 PM
Already booked for another get-together (of the Arachnid variety) the following weekend in Maggie Valley.

Probably can not get (or afford) two consecutive riding weekends off.

gbw
08-17-2020, 09:33 PM
I've got some free time Oct 9-13. I know it's getting a little late in the season, but, assuming the weather holds, I'd be up for meeting in BC or KY for some riding.

Already booked for another get-together (of the Arachnid variety) the following weekend in Maggie Valley.
Took me a few too many minutes of head scratching to sus that one out. I got it eventually. Sounds like fun. Maggie Valley is always a good time.

Steve
08-17-2020, 10:54 PM
Took me a few too many minutes of head scratching to sus that one out. I got it eventually.
You were there, you should have had a pretty good clue. Might have had to search a word or two, though.

For others, here is the "arachnid" in question (and it's not Storm64):
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50009237288_d0840a4910_k.jpg

ddaniels
08-20-2020, 06:20 PM

Well Steve, your definition of official varies from some others. It was my understanding that it was officially cancelled to be rescheduled later. But, if you happened to be in the area, you could show up and ride.

indybob
09-02-2020, 10:43 PM

I would be up for that date!

Bob

indybob
09-02-2020, 10:44 PM
I was thinking about a mini rally based out of the Florance/Lexington Kentucky area. Sometime later in September. Even if it's just a meet up on Friday-Saturday morning ride the area then retreat to home or hotel. I've chatted with Ron about the idea, and he seems to be on board. I know of a few other fellows in the area that might consider meeting up... Put it this way. I'll be in the Florance Kentucky area the end of September to explore the aria. It would be great to ride with other folks too. 

This would work for me if there is not a second Brown County Rally this year.
Bob

bwringer
09-03-2020, 10:27 AM
At this point, given my assorted personal plans, boring life and work commitments, and "all that stuff" going on out there in the world, I am not planning any sort of "official" Brown County Part Deux. So sorry, so sad. :(

Not that anything ever rises to the level of "planning" or "official" around here, but you know what I mean.

HOWEVER: as you can see in the chatter and chitchat above, we're all out riding as much as we can, stuff is happening, and I bet plans this fall for various folks could align in various smaller ways.

Toward that end, I'll make a mention of what I and a few others are up to. It's late notice, but perhaps we could "just happen" to run into a few of y'all's next week.

From Thursday, September 10 through Sunday September 13, 2020, me, Tim, and Wazz are planning to stay at the Rosemount and do some dual-sport riding on our KLRs. I've got lots of deliciously dirty GPX tracks loaded up and ready to explore, and Bedford makes a great base. There are lots of fun gravel and dirt roads hidden in them thar hills.

Of course, that's the same weekend as the Dave Davis rally in Missouri; for assorted reasons we can't go that far from home this year, but we are able to do some in-state riding.

Now, if some of y'alls who also can't make it to Missouri were to just happen to call Jay or Pam at the Rosemount Motel in Bedford (https://www.rosemountmotel.com/) at 812-275-5953 and just happen to book a room for dates that just happen to overlap somewhat with the dates we'll be there, well, that would just happen to be pretty cool.

Further, if you just happen to have some sort of two-wheeled conveyance appropriate for dirt and gravel roads (there aren't really any trails hereabouts; dual-sport riding in Indiana means seeking out the most primitive public roads, not roosting single-track.) you're welcome to tag along.

And of course, if it just happens that your tires aren't knobby, then roll your own paved adventure and we'll see you in the evenings. The BC rallies are always "roll your own adventure" anyway, so that would not be all that different from our usual custom.

As far as virus stuff... the Rosemount is taking this very seriously and is following the proper cleaning processes. I will probably bring my own pillow and blanket, and I'd encourage folks to consider rooming by themselves unless it's someone already inside your normal "germ circle" or "bubble".

Indiana does have a mask mandate, but from my recent travels, very few people or businesses in rural areas are paying the slightest attention, kids are back in school in many places, etc. So that's not good, and things in some counties are getting a bit worrisome.

For my part, I will be doing my part to manage our civilization's shared risk, and I hope and expect you will as well: I will wearing a mask indoors or when near the aerosol clouds emitted by bipedal mammals, staying clean, and not picking my nose. So don't expect any warm hugs or tongue action.

I also stay out of restaurants, bodegas and other indoor spaces as much as possible; I've become a fan of parking lot carryout/picnics, and I've taken to toting a spork along with a small cooler with soda, water, and snacks so as to avoid The Unclean. And I'll whisper that one attraction of dual-sport riding is that it makes a "whiz in the woods" policy much easier to carry out.

Here's the Indiana COVID-19 dashboard. Our stats are worse than some states, better than others. As always, your decisions and actions are your own. Ride your own ride.
https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/2393.htm

bwringer
09-14-2020, 10:21 AM
Just thought I'd report that we had an epic few days of dual-sporting in southern Indiana.

There's some truly tasty dirt and gravel out there, but it was rather dry and dusty this week. There was only one water crossing that involved actual water. Most of the small creeks are dry right now.

Jay and his family are doing well, and looking forward to a more normal 2021, as all of us are.

I'm really awful at taking pictures and at remembering to take pictures, but...

A dirt road, somewhere in Jackson or DuBois county, I think. This is the kind of thing us KLR-istas live for:

https://www.bwringer.com/gs/images/dirt-road-9-2020.jpg

Hindostan Falls southwest of Shoals. The falls in the background (basically, the river drops off a three foot shelf; not exactly Niagara) are only really visible when the river is very low. This mostly flat shelf of rock accessible from the shore is also revealed. It was a cool-ish and cloudy Thursday, so we had the place to ourselves.

https://www.bwringer.com/gs/images/hindostan-falls_HDR-PANO.jpg

storm 64
01-14-2021, 09:23 AM
Is it to early to start thinking about the 2021 Brown County rally? I know the rally pretty much runs on autopilot thanks to Brian, Steve and others. I think the weekend before Father's day usually works pretty well for most (June 10th-13). However I'm open for anytime. I'm just starting to think about next summers riding season and summer vacation. Maybe we can nail down a date. Hopefully we can get back to a normal rally. 👍

Groove_Daddy
01-14-2021, 10:35 AM
I'm just starting to think about next summers riding season and summer vacation. Maybe we can nail down a date.

Being winter, you can bet it's been on everyone's mind. I've missed the past two years and made a promise to make as many as my schedule allows.

My own rock vs. wall: I'll be leading Can-Am demo rides every weekend from March 4 ~ July 17.

That only leaves Easter and Independence day, so my guess is BC won't be an option for me.

On the UP side, I'm pretty dang sure I'll be at both the Ozarks AND the KY Krawl.

(Larry, I hope you'll make a note and be at those!)

gbw
01-14-2021, 11:28 AM
Is it to early to start thinking about the 2021 Brown County rally? I know the rally pretty much runs on autopilot thanks to Brian, Steve and others. I think the weekend before Father's day usually works pretty well for most (June 10th-13). However I'm open for anytime. I'm just starting to think about next summers riding season and summer vacation. Maybe we can nail down a date. Hopefully we can get back to a normal rally. 
It's certainly not too early! I've been thinking about it since I rode away from the rally last year. My calendar is blocked for June 10 - 13, assuming it will be those dates. Sure am looking forward to it!

alke46
01-14-2021, 03:28 PM
It's certainly not too early! I've been thinking about it since I rode away from the rally last year. My calendar is blocked for June 10 - 13, assuming it will be those dates. Sure am looking forward to it!

Even though I didn't make the BCR last year, I have been thinking of since you all rode away from it.

alke46
01-14-2021, 03:31 PM
On the UP side, I'm pretty dang sure I'll be at both the Ozarks AND the KY Krawl.

(Larry, I hope you'll make a note and be at those!)

Just meet me at Hercules' BBQ joint or else the Sugar Fire BBQ.

bwringer
01-14-2021, 05:37 PM
New thread started and dates posted:
https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?260468-2021-Brown-County-Indiana-GS-Thang-June-10-13-SAVE-THE-DATE!