PDA

View Full Version : The changed password mystery is solved

administrator
01-08-2020, 03:06 PM
After a bit of digging, it came down to something being done on my PC. I'm sure that a lot of you figured that when I said that I didn't find anything out of place on the server yesterday. I found it after getting ready to update a status today.

I run a program called LastPass that stores all of my passwords (and I have a bunch). It detects password fields and fills them in when certain conditions occur. The screen that I tweak to update statuses has a password field in it and apparently LastPass saw the empty field and thought it would be nice to put something in it. When I saved the changes I didn't notice that it had done that so it ended up changing your passwords.

So in the future I'll keep and eye out for LastPass and make sure that it doesn't screw things up again. Sorry again for the hassle and thanks for your patience!

Frank

Rich82GS750TZ
01-08-2020, 04:16 PM
Really appreciate all you do for us and the site Frank. Thank you!

rphillips
01-08-2020, 05:47 PM
If that's the biggest problems we have, ain't we lucky?? Like he said, thanks again!!

Redman
01-08-2020, 07:06 PM
Thanks Frank.

So it effected just the folks that had their status updated.

Good troubleshooting.
How did you manage to notice that?? You see it happen today as it happened??

Thanks again for all you do.

HonkeyTonk
01-09-2020, 05:00 PM
This is Jethro. My password don't work no mo, hasn't for 2 days, I must be part of this issue. There is no way to recover a lost password on this site? Although mine wasn't lost, I know what my password is, it just don't work no mo.

Redman
01-09-2020, 05:14 PM
This is Jethro. My password don't work no mo, hasn't for 2 days, I must be part of this issue. There is no way to recover a lost password on this site? Although mine wasn't lost, I know what my password is, it just don't work no mo.

Jethro,
On loggin screen, the verbage in upper part has a link for "if forget password". That is the reset password function. It will send email with a link. Keep in mind that the email goes to the email address of record in your user account.
Two potential problems there:
1) if that email is no longer accessible to you.
and 2)if you want the old account changed to the same email as used in the account you just set up.

Redman
01-09-2020, 05:25 PM
.................. I know what my password is, it just don't work no mo.
The problem, according to Franks discussion, is that folks who had their contribution status updated also ended up with their password changed.

So when you say you know what you password is, actually you know what it WAS, but it inadvertently got changed to something unknown .

So need to use the "forgot password" function.
It will send you an email with a link.
Go to that link, and it send you another email with a newly generated temporary password.
Copy that password, and can use it to logg in. And then can update you profile and create a new password (or use previous password again).
Of course all these emails goes to the email of record in your user profile asI said above.

Rob S.
01-09-2020, 05:31 PM
My status has not changed, nor has my password or e-mail. However, a few days ago, several times I had to input my user name and password.

I had not been required to do this to login in several years.

Jethro
01-09-2020, 06:59 PM
Yay!! Sucsess, Jethro is back, sorry guys cant get rid of me that easy.

Steve
01-10-2020, 01:20 AM
"Jethro"?? :-k

Jethro who?? https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif

Oh, ... THAT Jethro. :encouragement:

https://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/welcome-back3.gif?w=134&h=150 (https://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/welcome-back3.gif)

Eli69
01-10-2020, 08:57 AM
Honky Tonk? Really? .....

Jethro
01-10-2020, 09:09 AM
Honky Tonk? Really? .....

LOL, I wondered if anyone would say something haha

Brendan W
01-10-2020, 09:12 AM
To echo Rich, thank you for the unseen work Frank. Much appreciated.
I have more aggravation choosing a movie on Netflix that that minor password blip.