PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Dave Davis Memorial Rally (Ozarks) best date poll

gbw
04-26-2020, 12:57 PM
What weekend works best for you to attend the rally in Farmington MO?

September 3-6
September 10-13
September 17-20
September 24-27

gbw
04-26-2020, 01:12 PM
My company's annual user's conference is the week of September 14th. So it's hard for me be gone the weekend before (10-13) and nearly impossible the weekend after (17-20). But who knows what's going to happen with the way the world is now.

alke46
04-26-2020, 01:19 PM
What weekend works best for you to attend the rally in Farmington MO?

September 3-6
September 10-13
September 17-20
September 24-47

I like that last one. 24-47 is a looonnnggg weekend.��

cowboyup3371
04-26-2020, 01:20 PM
If I can finally join this group, I'd suggest the first weekend since the 6th is Labor Day so one less workday off

alke46
04-26-2020, 02:27 PM
I just contacted the front desk at the hotel and as of today, any weekend would be ok for them. No big conventions or anything else planned that would prevent us from coming.

Dogma
04-26-2020, 03:10 PM
The 6th is labor day, would that mean problems with holiday traffic? Parades of v-twin cruisers and campers and whatnot. Also, that's right near our anniversary, so I'd have to negotiate something.

gbw
04-26-2020, 04:19 PM
I like that last one. 24-47 is a looonnnggg weekend.�� That would be a nice long weekend. Not sure if that was a typo on my part or wishful thinking.

gbw
04-26-2020, 04:22 PM
Can I edit the pole choices? I'd kind of like to add the last weekend of August in the mix.

alke46
04-26-2020, 04:25 PM
It's your poll, have at it.

Dogma
05-22-2020, 01:42 PM
I can do the end of August.

alke46
05-22-2020, 11:29 PM
I can do any of those weekends. Just need to ride somewhere.

bwringer
05-23-2020, 08:03 AM
In for whatever!

We'll need to pick a date for the rescheduled Brown County rally at some point, so I guess we'll see where this ends up and go from there.

Dogma
05-24-2020, 11:08 AM
In for whatever!

We'll need to pick a date for the rescheduled Brown County rally at some point, so I guess we'll see where this ends up and go from there.

Can we combine them into a week-long rally? I honestly don't know what that would do to me...

bwringer
05-24-2020, 07:45 PM
Can we combine them into a week-long rally? I honestly don't know what that would do to me...

The results would probably something like this, except with motorcycles...
https://www.bwringer.com/gs/images/nuts.jpg

niclpnut
05-24-2020, 11:54 PM
I'd like to attend this year. I got the ok from my wife. My b-day is 9-11 so would be my birthday present. Dont know if I'd bring the es this time though lol.

Groove_Daddy
06-29-2020, 08:17 PM
Hi there.

Mind if I join in?

:D

alke46
06-29-2020, 08:32 PM
Yes, yes I do mind if you join in.

And you know I'm just messin' with you Robin. Seems like it has been quite a while since you and I were at the same location. Lots of catching up to do.

Groove_Daddy
06-29-2020, 08:55 PM
Yes, yes I do mind if you join in.

... makes note in black pocket journal with sketchy glance.

@alke46 it's been way too long, man. I look forward to (hopefully) makin' this one. Such is the plan.

I'll set aside the time, though the sooner we know exact dates, the better.

Groove_Daddy
07-31-2020, 10:24 AM
I'm blocking out whichever dates are getting the higher vote.

gbw
08-02-2020, 12:03 PM
Yeah, we gotta get this locked down. While Sept 3-6 works marginally better for me, looks like Sept 10-13 gets the most votes. Should we just call it and start making reservations? If so, I'll try to rearrange my schedule to make 10-13 work.

1978GS750E
08-02-2020, 02:55 PM
Just spoke with the hotel front desk. They are encouraging mask usage (all employees must wear a mask), the pool is open with limited number of users at a time, most resturants in the area require masks, but allow indoor seating. She did say that most of the Covid cases in Missouri are in the St.Louis and Kansas City areas and that their county is not seeing any increase currently.

So with that said...........What date are we going to Farmington????

I'm ready for a road trip!

alke46
08-02-2020, 10:36 PM
Sept. 10-13 sounds good to me. But so do the other weekends:cool:.

Groove_Daddy
08-03-2020, 08:12 AM
Food for thought, 1-part selfish the other circumstantial.

Selfish: if we were to do Sep 24 ~ 27, Maggie and I would pack up shop for Texas and head that way via the rally.
Circumstantial: that much later in the month as a) cooler and b) further from the current Covid-19 status.

I'm not too sure on how to change my vote but I definitely see the benefits of the last weekend.

No matter, though. Whatever works is what I'll be doing.

storm 64
08-03-2020, 08:40 AM
I think I voted for 10th- 13th but I'm not going to be able to make it. You can remove my vote. Sorry I voted without being sure I was going to be able to make it... 🤔

cowboyup3371
08-03-2020, 11:07 PM
I think I voted for 10th- 13th but I'm not going to be able to make it. You can remove my vote. Sorry I voted without being sure I was going to be able to make it... ��

Same with me as the Labor Day Weekend would have been helpful to saving my vacation time for a bigger trip I want to make. Maybe next year.

RichDesmond
08-04-2020, 08:30 PM
I didn’t vote, since I’m barely a “maybe”, but the 10-13th would be perfect.

1978GS750E
08-04-2020, 09:51 PM
I say "Let's do it!" Who else is ready to pull the trigger for the 10th-13th date?

alke46
08-04-2020, 10:23 PM
Me..........

Groove_Daddy
08-04-2020, 10:48 PM
I'm in. Let's get it.

1978GS750E
08-05-2020, 11:48 AM
Reservations were made this morning!

gbw
08-05-2020, 12:31 PM
Happy to see this moving forward. Working to align my schedule to attend.

RichDesmond
08-05-2020, 11:19 PM
Ok, just cleared it with corporate. If work doesn’t interfere, and the weather doesn’t look like absolute crap I’ll be there.

alke46
08-06-2020, 12:04 PM
Room reserved.

RichDesmond
08-06-2020, 01:34 PM
Room booked. Got lucky and was given one of the highly sought after and exclusive rooms with a "pool view". :)

Dogma
08-06-2020, 05:56 PM
Booked. I'd be excited, but I'll be at Gingerman on Monday. Tuesday I'll be excited for this.

Neil
08-11-2020, 02:50 PM
Sign me up! I loves me this rally. :c D

RichDesmond
08-11-2020, 05:02 PM
Ok, who's a definite? Or at least a strongly probable? :)

Looking at the posts above we have:

Neil
Dogma
alke46
gbw
1978GS750E
Groove_Daddy
niclpnut
bwringer
and me.

Anyone else?

bwringer
08-12-2020, 10:24 AM
I will not be attending this year.

There are two overlapping reasons:

1) I've seen very consistently in rural areas that almost no one is complying with the guidance, orders, or laws around slowing the spread of COVID-19, and there's zero enforcement outside the cities.

Still, it's not all that hard to go for a ride, keep away from each other, wear a mask, stay clean, and keep your own viral risks low in spite of what the locals are doing or not doing. It's a set of risks on top of our usual risks, but they can be managed.

So normally, I'd be 110% on board.

However...

2) Not too long before this rally, my wife is scheduled for a much-needed surgery that's already been delayed several months. I may or may not need to be here to help care for her (she'll probably be pretty independent by then, but we don't know for sure) but recovering from surgery also adds another risk factor compounding some other significant risk factors.

And that's tipped me into the "nope" camp for this one.

I really, really hate to miss this one.

Rich, I was really looking forward to meeting you and riding with you, and of course riding with and hanging out with everyone else. It's been far too long.

Groove_Daddy
08-12-2020, 11:07 AM

Welp, I'm going to go ahead and buckle, then. For starters, you make a solid point of #1. My own #2 reason is that you (Brian) won't be there!

I'll add M and I's #3 being a deeply-bruised wallet. I was going to break the bank just see y'all but honestly, there really is always "next year".

Ouch.

RichDesmond
08-12-2020, 02:01 PM

There are two overlapping reasons:

1) I've seen very consistently in rural areas that almost no one is complying with the guidance, orders, or laws around slowing the spread of COVID-19, and there's zero enforcement outside the cities.

Still, it's not all that hard to go for a ride, keep away from each other, wear a mask, stay clean, and keep your own viral risks low in spite of what the locals are doing or not doing. It's a set of risks on top of our usual risks, but they can be managed.

So normally, I'd be 110% on board.

However...

2) Not too long before this rally, my wife is scheduled for a much-needed surgery that's already been delayed several months. I may or may not need to be here to help care for her (she'll probably be pretty independent by then, but we don't know for sure) but recovering from surgery also adds another risk factor compounding some other significant risk factors.

And that's tipped me into the "nope" camp for this one.

I really, really hate to miss this one.

Rich, I was really looking forward to meeting you and riding with you, and of course riding with and hanging out with everyone else. It's been far too long.

Well damn, that's a real disappointment. :(

We'll get together at one of these events.

alke46
08-12-2020, 02:33 PM
Sorry to learn that two of the top reasons for attending this event are cancelling but I totally understand it. Better times are down the road a ways and it will be nice when we can all get together again.

Best wishes for Mrs. Wringer's surgery and recovery.

oramac
08-12-2020, 08:26 PM
I am a strong maybe. But, I will likely be a game-time decision. School is kicking off Monday, and both I and my wife are teachers, so we'll have to see what happens with the school restart (if I or my wife end up with students or colleagues diagnosed with COVID, it will mean mandatory quarantine for me). Secondly, my wife also has some personal health issues to deal with that may include surgery, and the schedule for that is unclear, at best.

I'm hopeful, but uncertain. Damn you, 2020!

Neil
08-12-2020, 09:37 PM
Iím bummed to hear of yous guys that canít make it, youíll be missed.

Dogma
08-15-2020, 12:40 PM
I’m bummed to hear of yous guys that can’t make it, you’ll be missed.

Seconded!

So that's seven of us. Still, it's a really good group. This is going to be a good time.

Best wishes and prayers for surgeries and wallets.

niclpnut
08-15-2020, 07:23 PM
When are you all getting down there? Be nice to see everyone after a few years.

Nic

alke46
08-16-2020, 07:54 AM
10-13. I will probably show up late on the 9th.

1978GS750E
08-16-2020, 08:30 AM
Shooting for around 5:00pm on the 10th, of course, if I'm riding in rain it may be later. Leaving Lexington at 10:00am with one stop scheduled on the way. Can't wait!

alke46
08-16-2020, 08:36 AM
Safe travels everyone.

gbw
08-16-2020, 10:01 AM
I'll be there before dark on the 10th.

Will leave Murfreesboro early and take a bunch of back roads between here and there.

Trying a new route this year to avoid Cairo IL. Instead I'll go through Metropolis and try to get a picture of my bike near Superman.

Something like this
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50232070708_7098ce5688_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jwQuyC)Home_to_Farmington_2020 (https://flic.kr/p/2jwQuyC) by Greg White (https://www.flickr.com/photos/184309811@N03/), on Flickr

RichDesmond
08-16-2020, 12:40 PM
I’ll be there Thursday, probably 6-7pm-ish.
Unless I’m house hunting in DC. Life may be taking a turn. :)

niclpnut
08-16-2020, 01:29 PM
What's everyone's bike for the rally?

I'll probably bring the king.

gbw
08-16-2020, 01:36 PM

I'll be on a 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49009402598_23cba83203.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2hEMZVY)KIMG0178 (https://flic.kr/p/2hEMZVY) by Greg White (https://www.flickr.com/photos/184309811@N03/), on Flickr

alke46
08-16-2020, 08:17 PM
I'll be there before dark on the 10th.

Will leave Murfreesboro early and take a bunch of back roads between here and there.

Trying a new route this year to avoid Cairo IL. Instead I'll go through Metropolis and try to get a picture of my bike near Superman.

Something like this
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50232070708_7098ce5688_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jwQuyC)Home_to_Farmington_2020 (https://flic.kr/p/2jwQuyC) by Greg White (https://www.flickr.com/photos/184309811@N03/), on Flickr

That looks like a great warm-up route to get you in the proper frame of mind.

alke46
08-16-2020, 08:25 PM

Don't know yet. Depends on how the Suzuki behaves between now and the 9th of Sept.
No matter which one I bring it will be coming on my trailer, parked out back nearest the highway.

Last year this rally was deemed a trailer rally instead of a bike rally. Seems like this year I may be in the minority with the trailer.

RichDesmond
09-06-2020, 12:58 PM
Well gents, it looks like I'm going to have to bail on y'all. :(

Life has taken that aforementioned turn. I won't be house hunting quite yet, but we do need to get this house on the market pronto, and 4 glorious days riding in Missouri and Arkansas aren't going advance that goal at all.

Y'all enjoy, and hopefully I'll catch you on the next one.

1978GS750E
09-07-2020, 09:48 AM
Ok guys, we're covered now! The new rainsuit that I ordered came in today! Probably will not have to ride in the rain for at least a month, since I've been caught in rain the last 3 weekends!

niclpnut
09-07-2020, 10:01 AM
Be down thursday hopefully before 9

gbw
09-07-2020, 03:27 PM
Ok guys, we're covered now! The new rainsuit that I ordered came in today! Probably will not have to ride in the rain for at least a month, since I've been caught in rain the last 3 weekends!
Thanks for looking out for us Ron! Nothing prevents rain like a new rainsuit :)

Be down thursday hopefully before 9
Rally looking forward to heading out Thursday. Think I've got the bike in pretty good shape to go. Loading .gpx tracks on the phone now. Now, how to suffer through work Tuesday and Wednesday while I'm waiting to go???

alke46
09-07-2020, 11:34 PM
Well gents, it looks like I'm going to have to bail on y'all. :(

Life has taken that aforementioned turn. I won't be house hunting quite yet, but we do need to get this house on the market pronto, and 4 glorious days riding in Missouri and Arkansas aren't going advance that goal at all.

Y'all enjoy, and hopefully I'll catch you on the next one.

Sorry to see you won't be in attendance. I was looking forward to meeting you. Maybe next year eh? By then you might be close to the Brown County Rally. It usually has more participants.

oramac
09-07-2020, 11:40 PM
While I would love to do some riding this weekend. I have to bow out. Since being back to teaching, I have seen firsthand exactly how quickly things can change with COVID. Regardless of anyone's personal feelings on the pandemic, I have seen several students, faculty and staff quarantined and/or isolated due to COVID exposure or positive tests. In short, I really have to avoid risks right now. Additionally, with my daughter in high school, and my wife also teaching in a different school, if any of us contract it or are shown to have exposure through contract tracing, it's a triple-whammy, and we're all out for two weeks. Brown County in the summer was doable, because we were all out of school, but things have gotten complicated now that we are back to day-to-day instruction. Oh, and actually trying to teach is nightmarish right now, because despite what some in the public think, teachers are working harder and longer than ever. This has been the single most exhausting start to a school year since I started over twenty years ago.

Blah, blah, blah...I digress. It really bothers me to miss out again, but I hope to see you all in the spring, and pray that you have a safe and enjoyable weekend!

gbw
09-08-2020, 09:03 AM
While I would love to do some riding this weekend. I have to bow out. Since being back to teaching, I have seen firsthand exactly how quickly things can change with COVID. Regardless of anyone's personal feelings on the pandemic, I have seen several students, faculty and staff quarantined and/or isolated due to COVID exposure or positive tests. In short, I really have to avoid risks right now. Additionally, with my daughter in high school, and my wife also teaching in a different school, if any of us contract it or are shown to have exposure through contract tracing, it's a triple-whammy, and we're all out for two weeks. Brown County in the summer was doable, because we were all out of school, but things have gotten complicated now that we are back to day-to-day instruction. Oh, and actually trying to teach is nightmarish right now, because despite what some in the public think, teachers are working harder and longer than ever. This has been the single most exhausting start to a school year since I started over twenty years ago.

Blah, blah, blah...I digress. It really bothers me to miss out again, but I hope to see you all in the spring, and pray that you have a safe and enjoyable weekend!
Understandable. Things are so crazy and I feel your pain. With a wife somehow teaching kindergarten remotely, one kid doing remote 4th grade, and one kid doing in-person 11th grade, I completely commiserate with what you're going through and the decisions you're making for your family and students. We've already had one two-week quarantine due to possible exposure, but it ended up being nothing. It could have just as easily gone the other way.

We'll miss you and hope you and your family stay well and healthy. Strange days for sure.

1978GS750E
09-13-2020, 04:07 PM
Just rolled in at home from Farmington at 3:30 this afternoon. (left at 6:45am this morning) Did a total of 1430 miles, 600 of which were on some of the most spectacular roads that I have ever ridden!

Logged 23.38 hours of seat time during the 4 days on the Trophy.

Oh what fun it is chasing these guys around Missouri! And we ate very well also!

Can't wait until next year!

gbw
09-13-2020, 05:45 PM
Home safe at about 3:30PM CDT. Real nice ride home. Ran into some rain the last hour or so, but no big deal.

All I have to say is...Best. Rally. Ever.

There were just six of us. Perfect for a single group of similarly skilled maniacs. We blasted all around the routes that Nardy and others curated for us. I was constantly amazed at the quality of the roads and lack of traffic. Seriously, there were several times I was simply amazed that there was NOBODY else on the roads. They were our personal playgrounds.

Nobody earned the That Guy trophy. Nick kept the tradition of working on a bike in the parking lot alive. I have a picture I'll post later. But everyone did great, stayed safe, rode hard, laughed a lot, and it was just a great weekend.

Good weather, only a hint of rain, and I never saw a cop the whole time we were riding. Didn't see any deer. I probably did kill a squirrel, but in my defence, it seemed like a suicide. We even saw a bald eagle, though I didn't recognize it.

The only way it could have been better is if more people could have joined. We missed all y'all that couldn't attend. But these are strange days and we understand. But hopefully soon we'll all be together again, and hope for similar weather and a similar good time.

oramac
09-13-2020, 10:20 PM
Glad to see a couple of ride reports. I'm living vicariously through you all.

alke46
09-13-2020, 10:27 PM
I got home safely shortly after 2 PM. Woke up at 3:15 and could not get back to sleep so finally around 4:45, I was rolling out of the hotel parking lot.

Sorry I missed the morning good-byes but I just could not wait until everyone was ready to go.

Great weekend with some highly skilled riders and we all got on rather well. No serious pucker moments and the weather and the lack of LEOs made for a wonderful ride.

Thanks to Greg for being an excellent leader of the pack and also to Joe Nardy and all the other guys that scouted and mapped out these wonderful roads for all of us to enjoy.

Hopefully next years rally will have a lot more attendees.

bwringer
09-14-2020, 10:01 AM
Sorry I had to miss this one, and so happy to hear everything went well!

A few of us in Indiana had to stick closer to home, but were still able to get out for a fantastic few days of dual-sport riding in Indiana. Missouri has some great dual-sport riding as well, but it's really hard to give up all that sublime pavement...