Exhaust for GS1000S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust for GS1000S

Does anyone know what late model Suzuki exhaust systems will fit early GS bikes like my 1000S. I have noticed that there are numerous late model GSXR and Katana OE take offs for sale on E-bay and they sell real cheap. I'm not really concerned about the brackets and all that, just whether or not the head pipe spacing and size is correct. Also, what exhaust systems are interchangeable within the GS era bikes.

Thanks

Exhaust for GS1000S

Good idea about cross reference. I too am interested in changing the exhaust on my 1980 GS850G without spending an "arm and a leg". Surely the fine folks riding GS motorcycles will have an answer. Cool name dallyspot. Are you a Dally?

Comment

Denniskirk.com has several options for the GS bike and they are anywhere from 250.00 to 380.00. I am planning on putting a 4 into 1 system on my bike.. a GS750E... I am currently working on tuning the bike then I will be repainting and retroing it to look like a more modern streetfighter..

Comment

Replacement exhausts. Retail versus Ebay

I'd still like to know what other bikes have the same exhaust "plumbing". As dallyspot pointed out, buying exhausts and exhausts bits on Ebay can be a much cheaper way of going.

Comment

Exhaust compatibility?

I too have discovered the hard way that not all GS exhausts are interchangeable. I do know that the exhaust from a 79 '850 will not fit on an 81 850, as the bolt holes on the header are a different size. Nor will the exhaust on an '81 850 fit on an '81 1000GL. Does anyone know if the exhausts on a '79 1000 will fit the '81 1000?
          Thanks,
          Kevin

Comment

No Answers???

Somebody has to have some info on this subject!!!

Comment

Part numbers

Get the part number for your bike. Then call a dealer or your parts place, give them the part number and ask them if they have that exhuast. Let them do all the work. Most of those places are computized and can tell you in a matter of seconds.

Comment

I have GS1000 engined 7/11 special, fitted with an Eagle system designed for the 80-82 GS(X) 1100 E. This would tell me that the bore and spacing from 1000 to 1100 is the same. The mounting brackets would NOT line up.
                I am pretty sure that all the early bikes 750/850/1000 are the same.
                I don't know about the GS1150 models, but there's no way any of the GSXRs are the same, the head is much more compact on the gixer.

Comment

Originally posted by brit7.11
                  I don't know about the GS1150 models, but there's no way any of the GSXRs are the same, the head is much more compact on the gixer.
                  hmmmm.. don't be so sure... The carbs from the 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, and 92 Gixxer 750s fit right on a GS1100 .

annnnnd... More compact ?... Not really... the carbs from a 93 GSXR600 (and 750) have a wider spread than a GS1100's carbs.
                  (thats partly because the 1100's intake ports angle "in" towards the center)

So the bore spacings are all pretty close.

I would not doubt a 2002 Bandit 1200's (basically the same as a 93 GSXR1100 motor) bore spacings are very close to a GS1100.

Comment

Carbs, yeah, but we're talking exhausts here, and GS1000 to boot.
                    The " bore and spacing " I meant was that of the exhaust headers. Got any specifics on exhaust dimensions?

Comment

I'm using a Yosh Duplex from an air-cooled GSX-R750 on my '85 GS700E. I went on the assumption that the carb spacing was the same so it might fit. I was right, fits like a glove. I have a feeling if you stick to liter class GSX-R pipes on liter class and pre '83 750's there is a good chance it will fit. '83 and later 750's need an air-cooled GSX-R750 pipe to have a chance of fitting. The air-cooled Kats have the same castings as the GSX-Rs so you can assume they have a good chance of fitting too. If you don't buy a trashed exhaust you can always resell if it doesn't fit.

Comment

As the original question was about the GS1000 lets be careful here. I just took a look in my manuals for the gsxr1100 and gs1000 and you can clearly see that the gixers bores are nearly touching, whereas the GS's are a good distance apart.
                        The reason most carb spacings are the same is probably due to the carb manufacturers and parts commonality.
                        As the man said though, buy one and try it, if you feel lucky....

Comment

and you can clearly see that the gixers bores are nearly touching, whereas the GS's are a good distance apart.

The reason most carb spacings are the same is probably due to the carb manufacturers and parts commonality.
                          What good is it to look at the space between bore walls without the bore diameters ?
                          (GS1000 has a smaller bore than a GSXR1100)
                          The bore spacings could be identical and still have differing distances between bore walls.

And carb spread dimensions determined by carb manufacturer ?
                          The spread between carbs is mostly determined by a cheap piece of drilled angle iron... nothing easier than re-drilling that.

This is the problem with losing all that info on the earlier forum... there was one guy there who DID IT!

He bought a used exhaust off ebay (I think for a GSXR750)... and put it on some GS model (GS750 or GS1100).

He said it matched up perfectly.

Comment

Carbs, yeah, but we're talking exhausts here, and GS1000 to boot.
                            The " bore and spacing " I meant was that of the exhaust headers. Got any specifics on exhaust dimensions?
                            Yeah... I got specifics.... I just walked out and took a spare header pipe from my 91 GSXR750 and held it up under the front end of my 80 GS1100E and was able to lay the header pipes one right on top of the other.

IDENTICAL bore spacings... (or pipe spacings)

(when I say Identical... I am eyeballing as best I can ... with the downtubes and fork tubes obscuring the view (a little)... however... I have extensive experience with accurate measuring of all kinds of fabricated products... and I garauntee these pipes centers are not more than 1mm or so different from side to side... (and I would bet $100 that they are in fact identical.. I just can't "prove" it)

I suppose the best way would be to drop the GSXR header pipe into the holes on the spare GS1100 head in my attic...

Of course... an actual 'fit-up' would require the retainer collars and cylinder bore incline angle were also the same.

Where is the guy who did it ?

Comment

Haha... "the guy who did it" posted above... (Billy Ricks)

I didn't read that before I posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X