Gear Oil for Shaft drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Oil for Shaft drive

I am needing to change the secondary drive gear oil on my 83 GS850GL. I believe the bike recommends 90W. Will it be okay to use 85W-90?

Thank you

Gear Oil for Shaft drive

Multi will work for you. Just make sure it is hyphoid gear oil. I probably made a mess of the spelling.

Comment

Hypoid oil for middle gear and differential

I use 85W90 Hypoid gear lube, Walmart's own house brand. I change it once a year, whether it needs it or not. Been using it for years on my GS850's and now my GS1100GK. Not one problem related to either middle gear or diff.

Nick

Comment

Gear Oil for Shaft Drive

I asked my Suzuki dealer the same question. Evidently the "straight" weight (single weight) oil is no longer commonly available. He said if I was bringing it to him, he'd be putting Hypoid 80-90w in it. So I cruised down to my local parts place & bought Castrol Hypoid 80-90w. As the previous responder said, the multi, if its hypoid , should work just fine.
        Scott

Comment

Thanks to everyone who responded. I will get the 85W-90 tonight and change it.

Comment

Comment

No probs at all as previously stated. Clymer says 7500 miles between changes for the secondary & final drive, in reality you can probably leave it a lot longer between changes.

A lot of cars don't even have drain plugs anymore... the oil is designed to stay for the life of the car.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                A lot of cars don't even have drain plugs anymore... the oil is designed to stay for the life of the car.

Dan
                I think the previous owner of my bike thought that applied to all oil... 3 oil changes later (with about 1500km in total) I still had black engine oil, and lets not even talk about the gear oil when i changed that...

Comment

Don't be confused by the color of the oil. You will never get ALL of the oil out unless you do a total strip-down and clean-out of the crankcases. There are pockets here and there that hold bits of oil that will soon mix with the new stuff you just put in and darken it.

If you want to help clean it out, just before your next oil change, drain about a quart of oil, then add a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. Go out for about a 50-mile ride, then do your oil change. The MMO is a great detergent oil and will help clean the inside of your engine.

WARNING...if you have deposits inside your engine that are actually plugging small holes, they might be cleaned away, allowing the leak to show up again.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This might be WAY off line. BUT, if the oil is not getting dark, its not doing its job. All engines have blowby gases, wear, dirt, and water that contribute to the blackness of your used oil. Some oils have more "detergent" in them then others. (one of those properties that can seperate good oil from cheap oil) One of the jobs of oil is to grab that stuff from the inside of the engine and hold it in suspension. We change oil to remove the water and dirt that is collected, plus replenish the abilty for oil to reduce friction and provide cooling. Frequent oil changes won't restore any accelerated wear due to lack of oil changes, but it should help remove the debris and maybe extend the engines useful life.

Comment

Working...
                    X