Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP exhaust cam abnormal wear?

"80" GS 750E
    checked al valves and are set correct. However exhaust cam has all lobes worn where rockers ride on cam. Intake cam looks like it is new not a mark on it. Soooooo any body got any idear why and is it ok ?
    motor runs like a champ now that carbs are cleaned again lol.

Keep da shiny side up and da rubber down.

from wind blowin no water flatland sw kansas.

Are the loading ramps on the cam worn? If they are then its been run for a good while with the rockers to loose the only solution is to replace the cam I would not want that thing in my motor shedding any more material the oil filter tries but it wont get it all but the rod and main bearings will sorry about my reply but this is serious.

Comment

don't worry unless the grooves are indented

I am still putting my head back on, which sucks. I know what you're talking about though. It is a "brassy" color on the cams and it looks like crap. The intake looks better, all shiny and nice looking. Mine only has 12000 on the engine and I got a little bummed when I saw that but unless you have a major performance decrease or the cams have grooves you can tell are different than the rest of the lobe I wouldn't worry. Just make sure you have no head leaks like mine!!!! Plus, make sure there aren't any exhuast leaks. If you are really worried about it you can always hook up a dial indicator and check it but if you look in the service manual at the picture of the cams on their 750et they look exactly like yours and mine.

Comment

The loading ramps???? I need a Scottish dictionary

Hey what are loading ramps???? Is it a part of the cam lobes?

Originally posted by Richard Pickette
        Are the loading ramps on the cam worn? If they are then its been run for a good while with the rockers to loose the only solution is to replace the cam I would not want that thing in my motor shedding any more material the oil filter tries but it wont get it all but the rod and main bearings will sorry about my reply but this is serious.

Comment

Nothing more than the sides of the cam shaft lobes if the valves are allowed to run with to much clearance then the bucket or rocker or in the case of small block or big blockchevys the lifters will start to wear flat spots on the sides of the lobes the really bad thing is that the metal being shed off has to go some where and the oil filter doesnt catch all of it but the bearings do catch their fair share of it .

Comment

I gotcha

Originally posted by Richard Pickette
            Nothing more than the sides of the cam shaft lobes if the valves are allowed to run with to much clearance then the bucket or rocker or in the case of small block or big blockchevys the lifters will start to wear flat spots on the sides of the lobes the really bad thing is that the metal being shed off has to go some where and the oil filter doesnt catch all of it but the bearings do catch their fair share of it .

Comment

Working...
            X