Charging problems..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging problems..

1982 gs 1100 gl. I noticed here lately that my horn only beeps loud only when i rev up engine very high. Today i took it out for a spin after putting new grips on. headlight seems bright. When i stopped i tried to restart it . It turned over real slow but it started.I then put a voltmeter on the battery and ran the bike to 5000 rpms like my chilton book said to do.The highest voltage i could achieve was 11.20. Is there an easy way to check to see if its the stator or rectifier/voltage regulator? Any help would be nice from all my gs riding buddies. thanks in advance. kevin

Charging problems..

You have got to check your charging system out using the Stator papers (on this web site). Electrex USA also has their version. Either one will work. It really is very easy to do, I just can't remember all the nitty gritty details.

Comment

Clean all the connections on the bike, and charge the battery before running the Electrex tests.
      Consider running a ground wire from a mounting screw of the RR directly to the negative post on the battery.
      Also connect the three wires from the stator directly to the RR (solder and shrink wrap), and bypass the silly wire that runs up to the headlight bucket and back, if you don't have a headlight on/off switch.

Comment

Charging Problem

Yea Kevin;
        Definitely start by making sure your battery is fully charged before you run any tests. The stator papers is the right place to checkout.

Comment

good advice

Kevin
          I would be a mistake to ignore any of the advice given by the previous posters--they are right on target

Comment

Jeckler You got it right! Somthing else The battery Has to have the correct amount of water in it . This And i has to be agood battery not marginal . The regulator is light duty on these bikes If you have to grind it any at all to start it ,then the reg has to work its butt off to try and bring the batt. back up I am running a stock rec . now fow years with the mods. Jeckler posted no problems at all keep the oil level full the grounds on your bike good and a good hot batt. One other thing years ago I mounted my reg under the bottom of the triple tree facing the wind I used 12 guage wire and tinned the ends then soidered the connections also used the shrink coverings 68,876 miles and counting Take Care

Comment

Working...
            X