straight through pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

straight through pipes

I ride a 82 GS1100L at the moment I have a motad 4 into 1 system It's ok, but sounds restricted and muffled, I was thinking of taking the silencer off and replacing it with 4 stainless pipes from the 4 down pipes, sending 2 one side, 2 the other, something like on a harley, buy carrying out this, would it upset the back pressure if any, is it legal, or to loud, and lastly would I lose out on power, if any one has heard or has carried out this on any motorcycle I would be interested. thanks.
    keith stevens.

I would suggest that you try and repack the muffler before you go to straight pipes.. My thinking is that you may lose all your back pressure and that could result in damage to the valves.. IF the Muffler is too quiet, try taking some off the baffling out...or repacking it with a lighter material..

Comment

about stock baffels

first of all do your baffels come out or are they welded to the mufflers?? 8)

Comment

straight through pipes

Hi Scotty, thanks for getting back to me on this topic, the silencer is welded, not much help to gaining access,
        keith stevens.

Comment

Re:straight pipes

I don't know about where you live, but in Minneapolis, MN USA the noise restrictions are pretty tight, so I know I couldn't use straight pipes, but it could be different where you are at. Also, straight pipes are gonna screw up back pressure quite a bit, and you are gonna need to face the demon of jetting :twisted: to get it running right, maybe at all. If you jet properly I don't think you will damage your exhaust valves, but I don't know for sure, I can't even attempt straight pipes because of the restrictions where I ride. That's IF you do straight pipes, no mufflers. Personally, I hate my 4 into 1 as well, not because it's too quiet, but because it sounds like a crotch rocket, and I want my bike to have a deeper tone, so I'm going to a 4 into 2 more stock system. If it sounds too restricted and that's the only reason you're considering this, then I'd look at removing or drilling the baffles first, it's much cheaper, though I don't recommend drilling. Well, that's just my 2 cents, and I may be wrong, but if I am, someone will correct me.

~Ben Reilly, 78 GS750EC in the shop.

Comment

baffel modifications

Silver fox
            what color are your plugs- i have midified baffels just by using a drill or a long metal rod

Comment

Straight Pipes

Huh? What did you say? Can't hear you above the racket your bike is making. That's probably what the cops will say as he's writing you a ticket. And while he's at it, you'll probably have to get the bike inspected just 'cause the noise annoys him. If you have long hair, you're screwed.... 8O
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

noisy pipes

I ride with a pro stock hedder and open megaphone in addition to the engine mods--It loud when i twist the throttle but i can keep the noise unde controll be being gentle on acceleration--knock wood i have never in 40 years of riding with extra loud pipes gotten sropped for making too much noise and i have driven through new york city many times. :arrow: self contoll on a motorcycle cures many of the could be problems.

Comment

I would suggest a change of muffler in the first instance,if still not happy then try straight pipes, which I would not recommend, it will totally remove backpressure as part of the equation and require major re-jetting and a huge increase in fuel consumption
                  Dink

Comment

Straight pipes

I put "drag pipes" off a Honda cb750 on my gs750. I had to rejet (102.5 to 120 main) but haven't had any problems yet (about 400 miles on bike).

The pipes sound AWESOME & they look kinda cool too, just took a little persuasion (& welding the stock collars into the pipes)

Hope this helps

Kelly "what the hell kind of bike is that" Faint
                    doacyclewerx@msn.com

Comment

Suggestion

Find yourself a muffler that has removable baffles or paking. If that doesnt work or you really want 4 into 2 (which is what I prefer just cause of the looks.) get it and then get a muffler with removable baffles. OR just take the mufflers off. (Kidding) I did this while working on mine and it had a really really nice sound it it but looked really really stupid.

Comment

4 straight pipes on a 4 cylinder 1100 in England ?

Don't you have to pass an inspection every year ?

Won't the inspector take one look (and listen) to that and tell you to go back home and come back when you "have it right" ?? (because of noise)

Seems to me that is a more important question than any of the others.

And.... Have you ever seen 4 straight pipes on any 4 cylinder racebikes ?
                        NO (I haven't)

So I can't imagine a good reason for doing this... except to be annoying to others (like a Harley).

Sorry... just my opinion....

Comment

Working...
                        X