Weak Headlight on a GS850g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The headlight on my '80 GS 850 does a pretty poor job at night. I understand that this kind of problem is common on the older GS's. Does anyone know if there is another kind of headlamp (Halogen?) that might be used in place of the one I currently have on a vetter fairing without overloading the charging system?
    I have running lights on the bike but they just don't give off enough light to drive safely at night.
    Thanks for any thoughts that you might have.
    Steve

headlamp

my gs 1100e has the old fasioned stock headlamp and bulb--it lights up the road quite well-- be sure to clean all of your wires in side the headlamp housing and completely remove - clean and reconnect each and every connectin on the bike--also check battery tightness and any wires that are connected ground bolts. check the contacts in all the bulb sockets and clean the contacts on each bulb on the bike

Comment

I have to agree with Scotty (SLOWPOKE....whats behind that name anyway?). Check and clean all connections. I also replaced the grounding strap (battery to frame/engine). Upgrade your charging circuit using Electrex stator and R/R. Electrex claims a 30% increase in output of stator. I don't know what the exact numbers are but it sure works alot better on my 1980 GS850G.

Comment

the nickname

Although i love drag racing on the street i drive like the 60 year old goat that i am- people always get annoyed riding swith me because i drive so slow- hence the nickname-when i am around other bikes, expeience has taught me not to show off or provoke fooling around so i drive like an old goat

Comment

Let There Be Light

I put a Halogen from a wrecked GS1000 in my '78 GS750. Works better than stock, and A LOT better than the six volt unit that was on my '48 Pan/Shovel Harley. (A Bic lighter worked better) 8O
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Re: the nickname

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
            Although i love drag racing on the street i drive like the 60 year old goat that i am- people always get annoyed riding swith me because i drive so slow- hence the nickname-when i am around other bikes, expeience has taught me not to show off or provoke fooling around so i drive like an old goat
            Scotty I find it hard to believe that YOU Drive slow 8)

Comment

Re: Weak Headlight on a GS850g

Originally posted by actuary
              The headlight on my '80 GS 850 does a pretty poor job at night. I understand that this kind of problem is common on the older GS's. Does anyone know if there is another kind of headlamp (Halogen?) that might be used in place of the one I currently have on a vetter fairing without overloading the charging system?
              I have running lights on the bike but they just don't give off enough light to drive safely at night.
              Thanks for any thoughts that you might have.
              Steve
              I agree with the points others have made about checking your available electric power (use a volt-ohmmeter and consult the Elextrex site for instructions) Cleaning up your electrical connections is really important because dirty connection cause voltage loss and that reduces your light output.

I bought a "Candlepower" lamp for my GS1100G last year on E-Bay. It's a round one that fits in the Vetter fairing. It has a split beam pattern specifically meant for motorcycle use and it puts out a very good light, using a halogen bulb. The better light output and the split beam combination is truly a vast improvement over the original lamp. It really is almost like having two headlights. I wll probably next try the new Xenon bulb, to get an even whiter light.

I still have the box it came in, and this is the address on it: Candlepower Inc., 14626 Southlawn Lane, Rockville, Md., 20850 Good luck.
              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
              X