leaking speedo cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaking speedo cable

hi there, I remember reading somewhere on this site about a way to stop the oil leaking from the spot wehre my speedo cable meets the engine... but cant find it now... any tips? It's on an 81 850G. Is this a familiar problem with GS engines?
    Cheers,

rob

speedo cable???

I am assuming that its the tachometer cable-i think that the speedo cable goes to the front wheel--but i dont know those size bikes at all.-- on my 1100e the tach cable was leaking and i cleaned the connections verry well and use some permatex 2 on it--gasket cemernt--i use it on bolts around the clutch housing also and on the valve cover bolts

Comment

I think you may actually mean the tacho cable.The housing that sits on the cylinder head has two o-rings in it if you replace these your problem should be solved
      Dink

Comment

tach cable

Before reassembling you might want to take a little emery cloth and clean up the shaft that spins within the housing. I found that after my tach cable had leaked for a while the oil leaking through had friction burned and left a rough surface. Emery cloth smoothed it it and it don't leak now.

Robert Dally
        1980 GS850G

Comment

The two o rings need replacing It makes a nasty mess when this starts to happen I used a dental pick to take the o rings out I think it took me several to clean the mess it had made good idea about the cloth and residue building up

Comment

hey thanks

thanks everybody for all the input, I'm sure it'll turn out clean as a whistle in the end, no more oil all over my nice clean engine... ... and maybe by then I'll be able to tell my tach cable form the speedo.. :P

cheers,
            rob

Comment

Working...
            X