Anyone ever had a starter relay go bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever had a starter relay go bad?

my bike starts everytime. Except today. The relay just clicks. i can put a screwdriver under it and when it clicks it magnatizes. i have checked all the wires. Every things seems to be ok. any ideas? Just wondering if anyone has ever had the relay go bad?

They do go bad sometimes. If it is clicking, that means that the relay coil is being energized, which is a good thing.
    1. Take the bike out of gear.
    2. Put on some safety glasses.
    2. Take that same screwdriver and place it firmly across the two big terminals on top of the relay for just a second. It may spark a little (thus the safety glasses).

By placing the screwdriver across the two big terminals you are effectively bypassing the relay and sending current directly to the starter motor. If it does not turn over when you have the relay out of the circuit then the problem is somewhere else.

If the starter motor begins to turn over then the relay is bad.

If the motor does not turn over you have a problem with either a connection at the battery, at the motor, or a problem with the starter motor itself.

I hope this helps.

Hap 8O
    Me with my new glasses

Comment

Starter Relay

Sounds like a battery problem to me.

Comment

Hap i tried that. it still clicks. battery is not fully charged but i did put a battery charger on it and it still clicks. what next? im kinda lost.

Comment

Starter Relay

You need to have a fully charged battery to check that out. While your charging it might as well clean all the connections.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin carr
            Hap i tried that. it still clicks. battery is not fully charged but i did put a battery charger on it and it still clicks. what next? im kinda lost.
            When you placed the screwdriver across the two big terminals, did the motor try to turn over?

Hap

Comment

Hap the relay still clicked when i put the screwdriver on both of the bolts on the relay.

Comment

It sounds like the problem is in your starter motor not the relay. try applying 12V direct to the starter and see if it turns over
                Dink

Comment

OK you helpful people. I found out what the problem was. It was a loose connection at the starter. you guys are the greatest. My bike is not charging . The best i can get is 12.05 volts at the battery at 5000 rpms. question if i may? The wire from the voltage regulator with the 4 wires that come out of it is getting very hot at a connection the previous owner made or suzuki made about 2 inches from the battery. He has some sort of plug taped together holding the wires together. It is getting very hot even thru the electrial tape. Im going to take the tape off the connection tonight when i get home and see whats going on. Should the wire from the voltage regulator get hot like that?

Comment

Absolutely not.

Get into the connection and clean it up. It's got a bad joint and the current flow is too much for the amount of "connectibility" you've got in there. High current flowing through too little metal gets it hot, then it burns out, then it cooks your stator or regulator/rectifier.

While you are at it, clean up every connection in sight. If your charging voltage is down that much you might have a charge circuit problem, or cleaning up the connections might get you up to proper level of about 14 volts.

Kim

Comment

thanks kim, i took apart the connection last night and you can see where it was burning. im gonna fix it tonight. maybe thats all my problem is i hope. also the connection was loose.

Comment

It's been my experience that when you have a bad starter relay, you get no juice at all. Is this correct? None to the starter, lights, accessories, etc?

Geoffrey

Comment

bad starter button or bad starter relay

when i got my bike from a woman that just wanted out of her yard i asked her for it .she told me that it was the starter that was out but when i got home it would'nt start at all it tried one time and then nothing the lights come on and the blinkers work but when you push the start button nothing. i tried the screwdriver and the starter and the motor started to turn.but like i said noyhing when i push the button nothing at all.

help (p.s. i bought a new starter button housing and every thing but i'am waiting for it maybe that will solve my problem....

thanks
                          craig
                          spring,tx

Comment

Check the clutch switch. Its an interlock to prevent you from starting your bike without pulling in the clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruppert
                              It's been my experience that when you have a bad starter relay, you get no juice at all. Is this correct? None to the starter, lights, accessories, etc?

Geoffrey
                              Naw. The starter relay is just that a relay for the starter. all it does is close two contacts (positive and a neg.) when you push the start button. When you cross the pos and neg bolts on the relay you are effectifly doing the same job just with out the button or the contacts. I don't know why they don't just make the start button control that but the starter draws a lot of amps and they would have to run some pretty big wires to carry all of it. Hope this helps anyone

Comment

Working...
                              X