Need help before going to the shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help before going to the shop

This is going to be a long story, so hold on tight and get a kleenex.. it might be sad.

I got my bike out of storage, and changed the oil and filled the tires and let it warm up.. everything was going good. Before I go too far, its a 1980 GS850G.

Headed back home and after a short while of 50-55 MPH driving it started running really hot. The next thing I know I am losing power (not electricity but torque). I pull off the county road and see that I am burning oil. The oil filler cap gasket has torn and I am leaking oil. I try adding some, lettting the bike set.. but to no avail. It will run at idle with the choke out or in, but any attempt to turn the throttle it starts chugging (anywhere above 2.5-3k RPM).

Have the bike towed home. Drain the oil. It was 2 quarts overfull. I put in a quart as mentioned above, but it was probably running with too much oil. The oil was clean, no metal pieces (a reccomendation I had from someone). I put in fresh oil again, the right ammount. I replaced the spark plugs and when I went to check the filter in the air box (to see if there was any oil up there), the foam rubber filter disintigrated. It was still intact, just totally fell apart to the touch.Cleaned out the sludge in the air box (some oil and road grime). Pu everything ack together sans foam filter (on order).

I did a compression test and each cylinder topped out arounf 120 psi (120-130) and a little higher when I added oil into the cylinder(130-140).

The bike starts, but if I have the airbox covers off its loud as hell and seems to backfire out the carbs. With the airbox covers and some make shift filter batting (to decrease air intake and provide some filtration while I wait), it runs but not well.

Again, it will idle fine. If I give it some throttle it hesitates and then will rev up. But it runs rough and seems to smoke out eh exhaust pipe on one side.

So.... I hope it is apparen
    t that I am moderatley mechanically inclined, but not very knowledgable. I can also follow directions. But I don;t know what to do. I fear I need to take it to my local shop.. but I don't want to simply say "Bike broke... fix bike.. ugghhh". I'd at least lke to have an idea of what the problem is.

I know diagnosis via the internat is difficult, but if there is anything that anyone can suggest from the descriptions I have given, or can offer some suggestions at to possible other tests or things to try before I break down and take my bike in.

Its finally nice here in minnesota and I am dieing to get out!!!

Thanks a million

Need Help.

Sounds like the fuel went bad while in storage. Did you clean the carbs, check the fuel filter if you have one. Check the floats. If you stored the bike all winter with the old gas in it you could have gummed something up and it all needs cleaned out. If you going to store it with gas you have to use a fuel stabilizer in it or it will gum everything up.

Comment

Need help

I'd have to agree with the gummed up carbs, although I can't imagine why it ran ok for awhile before acting up. Gummed up carbs could account for a lean condition, which in turn will make the bike run hot. It costs me $125 to have the carbs rebuilt and tuned at my local shop.

Comment

I have a similar problem.. I resently became the proud owner of a 83 GS750E and when I got the bike it had sat for 6 years and needed alot of work.. The air filter did the same thing yours did.. I am trying to tune the bike with make shift filter and it is rough.. I am wanting to get the bike running good enough to pass inspection and then I am putting pods on it.. My suggestion is to drain the fuel, pull the bowls off the carbs and check the bottoms.. if there is residue in them you probably need a carb cleaning..

Tuning these bikes with anything less than a OEM replacement filter or PODs is iffy at best.. good luck

Comment

Re: Need help before going to the shop

Originally posted by cmoewes
          I replaced the spark plugs and when I went to check the filter in the air box (to see if there was any oil up there), the foam rubber filter disintigrated. It was still intact, just totally fell apart to the touch.Cleaned out the sludge in the air box (some oil and road grime). Pu everything ack together sans foam filter (on order).

The bike starts, but if I have the airbox covers off its loud as hell and seems to backfire out the carbs. With the airbox covers and some make shift filter batting (to decrease air intake and provide some filtration while I wait), it runs but not well.

Again, it will idle fine. If I give it some throttle it hesitates and then will rev up. But it runs rough and seems to smoke out eh exhaust pipe on one side.
          Sounds like the air filter element came apart and is clogging up the jets in one or more carbs. I'd look at removing and cleaning them as a first step.

Comment

Carbs

Several thing could have happened. The Air Filter comming apart could be clogging things up. The fuel moving again even though it is old will have loosened things up and that could be cloging the carbs. Dis assemble them and clen them thoroughly. Use the cleaning guide on this site. I did and my carbs got really cleaned out. Better than using my book.

Comment

Working...
            X