tach not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tach not working

My tach is not working right,, I bought a new cable,old one was broke 1 inch down,put new one on,, but it is not registering properly. This has not worked for several years I was told when I purchased the bike. Do I need to take the tach apart and clean maybe?
    Any ideas helpfull!

Let's find out where the problem is first. If you remove the cable from the tachometer end, and start the bike, does the cable spin? How about if you (and this is gonna sound really wierd) try and grab the cable while the bike is running, not with your fingers of course, but lightly try and grab the end of the cable with a pair of pliers or something. It shouldn't stop turning. If it keeps spinning, you've pretty much ruled out the cable or the drive in the head.
    Next, remove the cable from the head, and take it (the cable itself) out of the sleeve. It should slide out from the lower end. Insert it into the tach and spin it with it lightly chucked into a drill, so as not to damage the drive end. I believe it should spin counter-clockwise (the drill). If the tach registers, put it back in the sleeve and try again. If it won't work while in the sleeve, make sure you got the right cable, it may not be going far enough into the tach.
    If it doesn't work either way, a quick fix may be to spray some penetrating oil (Kroil or PB Blaster works great) into the tach through the cable attachment and see if it's gummed up. If it's not been working for awhile, it may be stuck.

Comment

yes the cable does turn when engine is running, on the tach end,, so i guess it's time to remove it and get a little spray in it!,, I have a fairing on it,, so makes it a little diffecult! oh well,, thanks for the info!

Comment

Spraying inside your tach is not going to help its magnetic theres acup inside and the cable spins a shaft attached to a disk the disk spins inside a metal cup it does not touch the cup if your tach cable was ever tightenedto much the threaded poriton your cable connects to will wrench itself from the housing this disturbs the clearence between the cup and the disk making it raise cain and or not reg correctly a good speedometer shop may be able to help I learned all this the hard way Good Luck

Comment

Working...
        X