Running without the gas tank on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running without the gas tank on.

I have rigged up a container of gas to run my 81 GS 1100E while I have the gas tank off, It starts ok but won't take much throttle (like starving for gas). Does the vacumn line to the 2nd carb have to be plugged? Also, is it no big deal to rebuild the petcock on the gas tank. or do you advise just jetting a new one?

I was trying to search for info on the best type of header to get for my bike, I typed in header under search and only got one hit. I know there must be alot more info on these, how do I find it? Thanks

Re: Running without the gas tank on.

Originally posted by Max
    I have rigged up a container of gas to run my 81 GS 1100E while I have the gas tank off, It starts ok but won't take much throttle (like starving for gas). Does the vacumn line to the 2nd carb have to be plugged? Also, is it no big deal to rebuild the petcock on the gas tank. or do you advise just jetting a new one?
    Plug the vacuum line from #2 intake, else you'll have a extreme lean condition on that cylinder. I've had mixed results rebuilding the petcock but the kit is only about $20 so it's worth a try unless you want to buy a pingel like many others have done.

Comment

Petcock

I had a problem with my petcock leaking gas (not through the diaphram), so I invested 6 bucks into a in-line shut-off until I could cobble together (with the help of my local shop) a rebuilt. For sure plug the vacuum line, a golf tee works really good. As for a gas container, what are you using? I have a small tank from a gas trimmer that stopped working. Holds a couple of pints of gas, works really great.

Comment

Denniskirk.com has headers in a variety of flavors..

Also, Bikebandits.com has OEM and Performance parts available... like the petcock.

Hope this helps..

Comment

running without the tank

All you need to do is find a convenient place to place the bike's gas tank, and run enough fuel and vacuum line to reach the engine. That way your rebuilt/replaced petcock can function properly by shutting off the fuel supply when the engine isn't running so you don't flood it when you forget that the petcock is still on PRI.

Comment

Working...
          X