Putting the master link on a new chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I posted this reply for a message in the Q&A forum, and was told it should also go here:

This is for putting a master link on a new O-ring chain:

My buddy who is a mechanic told me to assemble the sideplate on the master link, then place a socket over each pin. The socket must be just big enough to go over each pin. Use a couple of C-clamps to press the socket/sideplate down.

I did this, but I could not use two C-clamps at the same time, so I did one pin at a time, tightening just a little bit over one pin, then going to the other. I think it took 3 or four times switching back and forth on the pins to get the plate pressed tightly. This way you don't put too much pressure at once and bind the plate and pins.

Once the plate was on and I got the spring clip on, I took a pair of needlenose pliers, put the nose inbetween the sideplates, and pulled the pliers open, placing pressure on the spring clip. This takes some pressure off the o-rings and made them look like the rest (with the plate pressed all the way on, the o-rings are smooshed too much).

Hope that helps.

Also, don't forget to put the grease on the link before installation..Don't laugh, you would be suprised how many people forget to grease the master link!!

Comment

tool..

For those that are not aware, they make a neat tool for pressing on the plate to the master link. I bought one from accessory warehouse(?) on-line, and it worked great for my chain. The socket thing works fine if you are only doing it once in a while, but if you have multiple bikes, help out buddies, etc, it may be worthwhile to check it out. Just thought I would share.

Mike.

Comment

As I have had a master link clip
        come off while riding (yes it was fitted correctly) I remembered an old trick for securing it.
        Cut a small rectangle of thin sheet steel (from a food can for example) that is narrower than the gap between the link pins. Slide the metal between the clip and the plate. Bend over the top and bottom in such a way that it prevents the clip from opening out. I remember using this tip years ago, but only recently had moved back to a linked chain.

Comment

I'm surprised that no-one has yet pointed out that you shouldn't be using a master link chain on a bike of more than 250cc (quote from most major chain manufacturers.)

Mad Pete, your post makes the case for this.

A soft rivet link costs a few quid (or bucks). What would a pair of crankcases cost? Or your life?

Comment

I did question using the clip style master link when I replaced the chain on my 550, but the shop I bought it at said they always used the clip style master link, even on the Hayabusa's, and never had one come back with any problems.

Comment

I knew a guy who packed parachutes. He never had anyone come back to complain....

Comment

closed end of the clip should face the direction of rotation

Comment

I've had the same clip-type master link chain on my 1100 for about 12 years.. no problem.

Comment

FWIW dept.

There was a long discussion on the Diesel forum at Mercedesshop http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/index.php3?s= about timing chains with master links which were only available in rivet form.

The rivet tool was very expensive to purchase, so I figured a way to just hand peen the rivets with a ball peen hammer with a huge sledgehammer as a portable anvil behind the link to absorb the shock.

Easy to do too! Just gentle peening on the rivet and hey presto!

Comment

Originally posted by brit7.11
                      I'm surprised that no-one has yet pointed out that you shouldn't be using a master link chain on a bike of more than 250cc (quote from most major chain manufacturers.)

Mad Pete, your post makes the case for this.

A soft rivet link costs a few quid (or bucks). What would a pair of crankcases cost? Or your life?
                      Dont almost all motorcycles come from the manufacturer with a master link chain. Are you perhaps referring to the timing chain in most cases.????

Comment

What's a "chain"? What's a "master link"? I need to know!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                          What's a "chain"? What's a "master link"? I need to know!
                          I forgot about you for a second Nick.

Comment

slopoke;

I would say that most Suzukis with an O-ring drive chain, came with an endless chain-no "master link". Also, their timing chains were endless too.

To replace this chain, you must remove the front sprocket, etc. A real PITA. Which is why we are having this discussion...?

Comment

Working...
                            X