New bike...need info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New bike...need info

Great site...just purchased a 1983 1100GLD. Can anyone tell me if I have the 2 valve or 4 valve engine? Also have an oil leak coming from left side cover...it bubbles out near the top so I'm wondering if I have a plugged case vent. Where is the vent located? Thanks to all! Love the bike!

tims1100

I think all shaft drives are 2 valve. Crankcase vent comes from the back center of the top of the valve cover, connects to the air box.

Comment

Re: tims1100

Originally posted by rphillips
      I think all shaft drives are 2 valve. Crankcase vent comes from the back center of the top of the valve cover, connects to the air box.
      Correct. All shaft-driven GS's have 2 valves per cylinder.

Nick

Comment

If oil is seeping out of the left side case check the o ring on the starter drive the angle it sits at when on the side stand would allow oil that had gotten in to the starter valley housing to find its way out I am guessing you have checked the stator cover gasket and its ok make sure and use lock tite on the rear starter bolts if they work loose the starter will move back and forth and in time will destroy the entire nose and o ring on your starter good luck

Comment

I only have the leak when the engine is hot. I assumed that since I can actually see the oil seeping (bubbling slightly) out between the cover and gasket, that it has nothing to do with the starter. I have little experience with this engine so maybe I need to focus on the starter. I also assumed it's leaking because someone probably removed the cover but didn't replace the gasket. Can anyone give me a part number for the gasket and/or starter seals?

Comment

Its just the gasket leaking I have to buy one for a1979 1000L and I dont know what they cost all I do know is that forma gasket will work for about three days before it starts leaking again it will how ever water proff your left boot and bugger up everthing else it comes in contact with good luck and check those starter bolts

Comment

Denniskirk.com has gasket sets for both of these bikes...

83 1100 Part # 26-0807 Full Motor gasket set.. 132.99
              79 1000 Part # 26-0788 Full set as well........... 92.99

Call 800-828-9280 and see if they have the individual gasket and also check www.bikebandits.com

Hope this helps..

Comment

Working...
              X