Clutch Stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Stuck

I just bought a GS450L with ~3000 miles on it. It had been sitting for several years in someones basement previous to my purchasing it, without ever being run during that time. I just replaced the gas and battery, and the bike runs, but when I go to shift into 1st, the engine konks out, as if I shifted without squeezing the clutch lever. My guess is that the plates are stuck; short of tearing the clutch chamber open, does anyone know how to un-stick the clutch? Again, my problem is whenever the bike's running and I'm squeezing (enagaging?) the clutch lever, and I shift into first, the engine dies as if I wasn't even squeezing the lever. My thought was to put it up on the center stand, and then put it in gear, so the back tire could spin freely, and hopefully lube the plates as they spun, but I'd appreciate any better advise. Also, what else do I need to be concerned with if it's been sitting for so long? Thanks in advance...

stuck clutch

Since the bike has been sitting for a long time, I would replace the clutch cable. The cable may have stretched . Just a thought
    Good luck1

Comment

Make sure that when you pull in the clutch, you can see the release lever moving. Then --

With the ignition off:

Straddle the bike. Stick the trans into a higher gear -- whatever you can get. 3rd at least. Pull in the clutch and have a strong friend or two shove the bike forward and rearward. Repeat until / if the bike will roll without turning over the engine.

Failing this, it's time to drain the oil and tear into the clutch. Don't panic -- they're really easy.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Clutch

the best way to release a stuck clutch is to drive down the road at about a cruising speed and sqeeze the clutch handle twist the throttle and lock up the back wheel.....this should loosen her up again...................the way to drive away with no clutch is to put it in first and start it with the kick starter this works ...of course only when you need to do somthing like this.

Comment

I bet the plates are just stuck together.

I think it would be easiest to just take the clutch cover off and then disassemble and reassemble the clutch plates, making sure everything's coated in engine oil when you put it back.

It's VERY easy -- just use an impact driver on the %$#!@! stupid case screws and replace them with SS allen heads from the hardware store (they're several different lengths, so keep track of which goes where.)

Then loosen (a little at a time) the six bolts (or whatever they use on a 450) holding in the clutch hub. Once they're free, remove the clutch hub, the springs, and remove the plates. Keep everything in order and oriented correctly, and oil the plates as you put them back in one at a time.

It should take about 15 minutes, assuming you don't try something silly like using a screwdriver on the case bolts. Your only cost is a bit of oil.

And it's a lot safer than trying tricks like push-starting the bike and slamming on the brakes, etc.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
          X