Clutches.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutches.

Hey guys, I have decided after talking with all of you of course that, I will order the Barnett clutches and heavy duty springs this winter,(I Hope), anyway, Is this a long difficult job? Being just a few notches below a certified Suzuki Mechanic-Ha-Ha :roll: or do you think I should just take it in Michael.

BARNETT CLUTCHES

CHANGING A CLUTCH AND SPRINGS IS A FUN ABN EASY JOB- BUT YOU MAY REGRET USING BARNETT CLUTCH DISKS THEY HAVE A TENDENCY TO GRAB AND WILL CAUSE YOU TO LOSE SOME OF THE RIDING PLEASURE--TRY JUST THE SPRINGS AND IF YOUR DISKS ARE OK JUST LEAVE THEM. THE STOCK DISKS WORK VERY WELL WITH THE HEAVY DUTY SPRINGS. I HAVE BEEN USING THIS COMBINATION ON MY GS1100E FOR OVER A YEAR

Comment

Clutches

Thanks Scotty, :P I will try that instead, Just the springs will definitely be cheaper on this ol'e boy I have'nt had the cover off yet, but have pretty much narrowed it down to the plates or springs :? Hey, How come I can't get my print to stay blue like I choose It goes back to black Also, how do you guys get your pictures and all to show up under your name :roll:
      Thanks for your help Michael

Comment

Clutch springs

I changed the clutch in my 78 GS750, and fitted heavy duty springs while I was at it. My wrist has never ached so much !!! I would not fit heavy duty springs at all, you don't need them. The standard ones provide more than enough push on the plates. Its up to you, but buy standard springs aswell, they are only cheap.

Comment

SPRINGS

BY YOUR COMMENT IT SEMS THAT HEAVY SPRINGS EFFECT DIFERENT BIKES IN A DIFERENT WAY- I HARDLY NOTICE THE DIFERENCE AND I HAVE A LAME LEFT HAND

Comment

I too put Barnett springs only in my '78 GS750. That cured the clutch slippage during 8/9 grand shifts. The only dissadvange is during a slow race in bike games when I have to show the Harley riders how it's done. My hand hurts like a bastard afterwards. Normal riding is not a problem, but keep an eye on the clutch cable. My wife whines about "the stiff clutch", but hey, it's my bike, she can ride her Virago! The trouble is, she prefers my GS to her Virago! 8)
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I replaced my clutch with EBC disks and Barnett heavy-duty springs
              I can`t even pull it with less than 4 fingers. It is hard as hell. I would reinstall the stock springs but, the Barnett ones are less expensive. Does anyone know where I can get a set of stock springs without going to the dealer?

Comment

Originally posted by DJones
                I replaced my clutch with EBC disks and Barnett heavy-duty springs
                I can`t even pull it with less than 4 fingers. It is hard as hell. I would reinstall the stock springs but, the Barnett ones are less expensive. Does anyone know where I can get a set of stock springs without going to the dealer?
                Trywww.suziparts.com.au they are Australian based but will happily send GENUINE suzuki parts all over the world, they cover every and all models of suzuki right back to 1967
                Dink

Comment

suzuki parts

Dink that is a dynomite website

Comment

clutch

Thanks for the Info Dink. My aching wrist also thanks you!

Comment

When I replaced the clutch plates on my 83 GS850GL, I ordered the plates from JC Whitney (after much research and several phone calls with the manufacturer). I ordered the stock metal plates, springs, piano wire clip, and gaskets from Bob Tracey's World of Cycles. They are located in Moon ownship, PA. I saw their add it cycle world. They were much cheaper than my local Suzuki dealer, even with the shipping. The stock springs were 3.69 each. I believe their 800 number is 800-860-0686. Otherwise, their number is 412-269-9999.

Comment

when i installed the barnett package on my 78gs750 (870 kit - mik 29 smoothbores - drag bike;

i had trouble holding the bike in the staging lights - ( launch rpm 6000) as soon as i reved up to that rpm - the bike would crawl fwd - i red-lighted many times -

we took them out - left the springs as we were drag racing so heavy clutch apply effort was not an issue - but no more crawl and the same if slightly lower ET's resulted - i personnally did not like them;

dave-1100

Comment

Working...
                        X