Tires for GS1000SN 1979

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires for GS1000SN 1979

I have just started working with a 1979 GS1000SN Wes Cooley Replica. The bike only has 8000 miles on it, and is in fair shape. My intent now is to keep it close to original. Tires on it are dry rotted. This bike has the cast wheels which require Tube Type tires. Stock size is 4.00x18 rear and 3.25x19 front. What tires can I put on this bike to keep it original as possible, but decent to ride? Would like to increase size, but leave the chain gaurd on. Thanks.

GS1000SN 1979

I'm not sure that your cast wheels require tubes, unless they are proven to be leaking. I have cast wheels on my bike and run tubeless with great success. I doubt very much if the tires made now days will look/behave any thing like the tires made 23 years ago, other than they still come in black and are round. The tires I run are Dunlop 491s, front and back.

Comment

Tires

Cliff, I also run Dulop K491's on my GS1100GZ I love them. They are great for all types of riding except Harsh, racing type rides. My Zuki even recommends a Bridgestone or a Dunlop as a replacement. Michael

Comment

tires for Wes Cooly Replica

Hey Cliff, acording to the data printed in my Suzuki Performance portfolio,
        The Wes Cooly zuki came with Pirelli Phantom Tyres. The GS1000E and the !000 models came with IRC Grand High Speed tyres.

Comment

Tires for GS1000SN

Robert, Mike, and DJones. Thanks for the reply. I'm a little leary to put tubeless tires onto wheels that say "for tube type only", but I'll look into it. I guess I first need to see that a tubeless valve stem can be fitted into the hole currently filled by the tube stem.
          Robert, does your 80 GS850 call for tubeless, or tube type tires?
          Mike, I also have an 82 GS1100GZ, looks excellent, but has motor problems. Looking for a complete replacement motor if you run across one.

Comment

Cliff, your 79 is supposed to be tube-type, but the 80 model and after are tubeless. Finding a set of tubeless rims would be the only correct way to switch to tubeless, and it shouldn't be too hard: all 16 valve GS 750s and 1100s and the 80 GS1000 CHAIN DRIVE model should all have compatible rims. I had Dunlops, Continentals, and Metzlers on my 79 GS1000 and they were all good, but the Metzlers were the best (ME33 front, ME55 rear). Anymore, though, I've had good performance out of the V-rated tires by the knock-off companies (Kenda, Chen-Sing): good mileage and decent traction.

What is wrong with your GS1100GZ? I might have a source for a motor. What state are you in?

Comment

old tyres- modern tyres

I've got spoke(?) wheels, with modern tyres WITH tubes. My 78 GS750 has the same tyre size, but I'm driving 100/90-19 bridgestone BT45V front and Dunlop something 120/80-18 back. I love the front tyre! Bridgestone still has got the 3.25-19 and 4-18, but they are for cruising bikes. If you want preformance from you tyres switch to modern sizes, with tubes. It is no problem.

Comment

Engine/1100GZ

Cliff,
                I don't know . I will gladly check with a contact I have in Lexington for you.He might can find an engine 8) I will get back to you Michael

Comment

GS1000S tyres

I run a 1000S with tubeless tyres fitted to "tube type only" rims, but fitted with a tube. Over here I don't think you can get "tubed" tyres anymore, (feel free to correct me...) In any case I've being doing this for years as has everyone I know with no problems.
                  Use metric sizes, for the 'S' you'll need 100/90 front and 120/80 rear. The 'E' uses a 130 rear.

Comment

GS1100GZ Motor problems

Don and Mike, Sorry for the late return to you as regards my motor problems on 82 GS1100GZ. I have not torn into it as yet, but I have serious problems in the secondary box. Could be bevel gears, but oil drain suggests that the bearing between gearbox and secondary is toast. Lots of metal on draining oil. Compression is low also, so I'm afraid the loose metal made the rounds in the motor. Bike has 60,000 but is immaculte in appearance. Has sentimental value, so if I could reasonably get it back on the road, I would like to do so. I am located in Kinsport TN just below Lexington, KY about 250 miles, so that might work. I knew a Mike Howard from Baxter, KY who used to MX. Would you be the same??

Comment

You guys will laugh but I reskined the ol GS1000L with High Speed Cheng Shins and have no handling or wear problems. Spent only about $110 on the pair.

Comment

when i bought my 78 750 it had 4.50 on the rear stock was 4.00 the 4.50 had plenty of room on the sides, if it says tube type rims they mean it

Comment

Sorry for the late response. My rims are marked tubeless.

Comment

Go with the Pirelli Match 08/09 in the metric sizes 11/90-19 and 120/90-18
                            I love mine

Comment

I run Shinko tyres on my S. Good grip and last ok. Shinko are the company who bought the motorcycle tyre section off Yokahama a few years ago. Front and rear $210.00 aus

Regards
                              Mick

Comment

Working...
                              X