tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tires

I am just curious as to what tires people are using these days. My previous 1100l I used an avon supervenom sprint compound, but I cant find one anymore. Does anyone recomend a tire I like a soft compound tire any help would be appreciated. Dan

hmmmmm Venoms. Had a set once loved them, but too rich for my blood theese days. I run Bridgestone BT45 battle axes on my 86 GS1150EF at one size over factory. They preform well and wear well. Also they meet my tire budget.

Comment

SOFT TIRES

HANKY
      I USE THE BATTLAX B ON MY BIKE BECAUSE THEY ARE SUPOSED TO BE SOFT B RATED TIRES AND NOW I READ THA THEY HAVE SOME SORT OF RUBBER MIX THAT MAKES THE CENTER OF THE TIRE HARDER THAN THE OUTER EDGES--THIS IS GREAT BUT I WANTED JUST AL ALL AROUND SOFTER TIRE--DO YOU OR DOES ANYONE KNOW IF MY INFORMATION IS CORRECT

Comment

Front: Metzeler, Rear BattleAxe.
        So far, it works for me, allthough I would like a little more stability on the rear. Right now I am playing with the suspension settings.

Comment

First thing I did went I bought the 850 was to throw on a pair of Pirellis. Front lasted for 18K, rear for about 6K. Very sticky, about 100 bucks apiece if I remember right. They were the MT 08/09 matched set.

Comment

Michelin Macadam.......What they run on the new GSX's 8)

Comment

currently have a dunlop F24 on front, and a dunlop 491 elite II on rear of my gs1000g.

Comment

Tyre Chioces?

I run Metzeler excusively ME33 front,ME55 rear grippy and long lasting,and I feel well worth that bit extra at purchase.My 85 GS1150 is getting 6000miles form the rear and 7000 from the front
                Dink

Comment

On my GS1000G I run a Battlax BT45 on the front and am replacing a BT17 on the rear with a BT45. The wheel hit the shop today, back soon....

The BT45 is up the scale from the BT17 (no longer on the market) as it has the DAC (Dual Aligned Technology) hard centre rubber and stickier side rubber. Here in Oz the 130/90/17 BT45 is costing about $150. That is about $70 US.

I think in Europe the BT45 has about 50% of the market for sports/tourers.

Kim

Comment

prices in OZ

I hve been noticing from my contacts with Dink And Queenie that the prices of many things in OZ are much more reasonable than in USA

Comment

Tires

I'm running Chen Shin, and absolutely hate them, but the price was right. The tread pattern is everything but aggressive, I can break the tire loose a little too easily, and cornering is... well.... lets just say I break pretty heavily before any corner, as the tires seem to like to be squirrelly out of the corners. I Kind of knew what I was getting into when I bought the Chen Shins, but I had just put other discount tires (Kenda rear, Duro front... I liked the Kenda, not enough miles on the duro to tell) when those were slashed, I couldn't afford the GT501s that came so highly recommended to me, but if you're looking for sticky, I think you don't need to look any farther than Pirrelli, they're very well known for stickin like gum.

Comment

I'm running a Metzler ME33 Laser on the front of my '78 GS750, and a Yokohama Tour Star on the rear. Had them on for years and have managed to grind down part of the centre stand and the head of the bolt that holds the muffler to the header! 8O
                        Kevin
                        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

tars

im running KENDA 140/90/16 on rear , and 100/90/19 on front these are k657 sport challenger . I have never had any problem with them , they have a semi sticky compound and wear well . the back cost $61.99
                          and the front $43.99 . I get a average of 8000 miles out of them .
                          I have run them on my KZ1000Z1R and on my bike now the GS750E.
                          They run great in wet and dry and hot n cold weather .

Comment

Good tire prices on eBay

I've been buying tires on eBay. The latest was a Bridgestone S11 110/90-19 front, for which I paid $40 plus $8 shipping. I was the only bidder. I also got a Kenda Duro 130/90-16 some months ago, for $40 including shipping. How long it will last, I don't know, but it handles well and gives no surprises.

All these tires have been new and never installed. Now I have a bid on a Metzeler Marathon 88, 130/90-17, which I'd like to install on the 17-inch GS850 wheel I alternate with the stock 16-incher.

I shouldn't be telling y'all any of this, or you'll outbid this cheap old soul.

I have spare front and rear wheels, with new tires installed all the time; that way I can just take one off and slip the new wheel/tire on, all at once with no downtime. The 17-inch GS850 wheel fits my GK perfectly.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                            X