Miles per gallon 1978 GS750e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miles per gallon 1978 GS750e

I did a search and and not get any hits. What kind of gas milage are people getting while cruising at a highway speed of about 65MPH? I have been working on my jetting and think I am getting close to correct, curretnlygetting about 38 mpg. I have been looking at my plugs and think I could go a little smaller on the pilot jet just not 100% sure.

Mileage on 1978 GS 750

I took a trip last summer on my 1978 GS 750 C , and traveling 2-up with saddlebags and tankbag fully loaded,with a Rifle Superbike fairing, about 300 pounds of rider and passenger, traveling at an average of about 70-75 mph, I was getting roughly 40-42 mpg.
    1979 GS 1000

Comment

Gas mileage

38 seems a little low to me. I have a 79 GS750 & I get 40mpg. My bike isn't 100% yet. Is your bike stock?

Terry

Comment

It is not stock, it has a 4 -1 exhaust by?, Martek electronic ignition, Accel coils, and 29mm smoothbore carbs.

Comment

I took a trip to the mtns last weekend Gs750e (80) with mixed interstate and mtn riding........very spirited and running 80 plus on the interstate and I got almost 53mpg 8O

Comment

My riding is about a half and half mixture of in town and highway
            milage. I average 42 to 45 mpg. I think for a steady 65mph
            down the highway, I could realistically expect 48 to 50 mpg.
            But then, of all the reasons I have for riding a GS, gas milage
            was never even considered. :-)

Earl
            P.S. In retrospect, my 2 stroke Kawi triple on the burners
            could drop the gas milage into the high teens. LMAO
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Re: Message for Earl

Hi, Earl : . We haven't crossed mouses (mice?) in a while and I didn't want you to forget my smiling face . Hope everything's going OK for you.

Simon

Comment

GK mileage not that great...

...but I don't really care. I get in the mid to high 30's when donking around town, and in the low 40's when on a long trip. I ride in a moderately spirited manner (in other words, to some folks I ride like a bat out of you-know-where; to others I'm a Scottypoke).

Gas mileage on the GK is not a priority with me. It runs great on common 87 octane fuel, never pings, always delivers. It was cheap. It is cheap. I'm cheap.

Yes, I do remember those evil H1 and H2 Kawasaki 2-stroke triples, with their terrible gas mileage and lousy swingarm bearings that made them do weird things. They were a blast!

Comment

Re: Message for Earl

Everything's just fine, been working on the bike a lot
                  lately, but dont worry, the "mouse wars" can resume
                  at any time. If you see a shot, go for it. As they say
                  carpe diem. However, I believe thats actually latin for
                  "eat a fish a day". Its probably an old luddite saying
                  anyway.

Earl

We haven't crossed mouses (mice?) in a while and I didn't want you to forget my smiling face . Hope everything's going OK for you.

Simon[/quote]
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

38mpg? 42-45?!? 53!!??!!?!?!!!?!

8O You guys are getting numbers ike these? 8O 8O MY 78gs750EC makes me very happy when it gets 30!! I usually average about 28.the only mod to it so far is the 4 into 1 and Martek ignitiion.... I was haappy before I read this post, but now I think I need to fix this problem, so what's my deal?I would be very happy with 38mpg... I don't know what I would do with 53 MPG.... 8O 8O

Comment

Your mileage may vary...

Compaired to my 1100GZ your milelage seems pretty low. On average I am getting between 37 and 38 mpg. with vetter windjammer and lower fairings
                      GY

Comment

Mpg

I'm getting between 30 to 40 depending on traffic and rush hour. But I'm not worried about that. It's SMILES PER MILE thats gets to me. I think Im topping out in that department.

Comment

Working...
                        X