Proper grounding of regulator ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper grounding of regulator ?

my voltage regulator has 4 wires and a ground coming out of it. The ground wire is connected to the mounting bolt for the voltage regulator.Should it be grounded there or should i take the good advice from JECKLER and mount it to the neg battery terminal? I tested the voltage again while the bike was idling. Could not rev up to high because its late at night. You know how the neighbors can be.The voltage was 12.05 then it went up to 12.40 at 2000 rpms. What is your voltage at idle if anyone knows? THE BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED.

grounding

I connected the reg. to the frame, made a groundwire from the frame to the engine, the battery to the frame and then my charging problems were solved. Before that, I had also low voltage. I did not change the original regulator.

Rob

Comment

Re: Proper grounding of regulator ?

Originally posted by kevin carr
      Should it be grounded there or should i take the good advice from JECKLER and mount it to the neg battery terminal?
      IMO Do as Jeckler suggested. Your output sounds about right at idle from my experience.

Comment

D o as they say I did this years ago but went several steps futher. the red wire needs to go directly to the battery now if you keep the reg in the same place thats up to you , but I did not . I moved it and remounted it under the lower triple tree on a stainless steel bracket. If you look at alot of new bikes today you will see this being done. this thing is now facing into the wind ,and almost any location is better than under the batt box!! Also use no 12 guage wire Tin the ends real good and soider allyour connections use shrink connectors I wrapped all this up using the flexable wire loom from Advance Auto. P S I also have a seperate 12 guage wire going from the rear of the motor to the bracket it self . mybattery reads 13 .5 at 1000 rpm and stays at 14.8 when tested at 4,800 rpm it s makeing approx. 85 volts dc . when I soiler wires like this I don`t twist the ends tin both ends and put them side by side let the soider flow for a good joint .This will also let the joint release similar to a fuseable link should somthing go awary. Good Luck ps i am useing the stock unit!!

Comment

SOLDERING

IT WARMS MY HEART TO HEAR ELECTRICAL DC WORK BEING DONE PROPERLY 8O -YOU ARE A DYING BREED RICHARD

Comment

X

79 8O :? 8) :x :P :twisted: :roll: :arrow: :=: :%: :#:
            I GIVE UP FRANK I CANT DECIPHER THE CODE TO GET EXTRA FACES---WHY --JUST TO DO IT IM AFRAID

Comment

Improvements on 1984 GS1100GK

My GK's regulator is located way up, accessible by removing a sidecover, out in the windstream. It's a different unit from earlier GS1100G's and GK's, with an extra ground lead. I still grounded it directly to the battery, just for peace of mind. No trouble at all with stator or reg/rect since I got the bike in late 99, with 28,000 fewer miles.

Nick

Comment

Voltage regulator

I did away with the seperate rectifier and regulator units and bought a single regulator/rectifier unit. It is housed in its own heatsink and bolts nicely to the side of the battery box behind the right hand side panel. 5 wires in total, three phases in from the stator, positive and ground out to the battery. Simple and works perfectly. 12.5V at idle, 14.5 at anything above 2000(ish). It cost 40 pounds and it sorts out the charging system a treat.

Comment

Hey Scotty I have read many of your replies and am impressed with your answers this thing with the electrics .. I only wish I could talk directly with the people posting the questions its kinda hard sometimes to explain things when I have to hunt and peck on this key board! Anyway you have a good weekin I am thinking about going down to Myrtle Beach S. C. for a couple of days I just love watching all those two wheel paint mixers people have been tricked in to buying ! OPPPS I guess everone knows how I feel about Hardly Driveables .Take Care.

Comment

talking

what is you AIM user name lots of us meet on there and exchange ideas (( slowpoke59dom ))) i usually go to boon in june but not this year

Comment

Re: X

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
                      79 8O :? 8) :x :P :twisted: :roll: :arrow: :=: :%: :#:
                      I GIVE UP FRANK I CANT DECIPHER THE CODE TO GET EXTRA FACES---WHY --JUST TO DO IT IM AFRAID
                      I think the codes are something unique to this software. I've never seen them before either.

--- Frank ---

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Pickette
                        ... I only wish I could talk directly with the people posting the questions its kinda hard sometimes to explain things when I have to hunt and peck on this key board!...
                        I'll be investigating installing a chat facility to the forum tonight. Check the Announcements forum for details because I'll announce it there if it meets my tough standards and I add it in. It won't get you past the hunt and peck method but it is a bit more immediate then messaging in the forums. It will also keep you from having to load something like AOL Instant Messenger if you don't want to.

--- Frank ---

Comment

Thanks it would make this site even better I was in the dealership this afternoon and a guy that owns a1150 was buying a new petcock his was leaking all you can do is try and help als he said there was a1150 for sale on the bargain trader for 750 dollars who knows

Comment

Scotty its Woodwright I will be on instant messanger maybe by this weekin You know I have been thinking why couldnt we find a small eletric fuel on off valve from maybe a piper cub or somthing to put in line behind the petcock it would be more insurance and that aint a bad thing

Comment

Sorry, no chat...

I've investigated a chat addition to the forum tonight and came to the conclusion that it wasn't that good. So it won't be added to the forums. If you folks need to chat then I recommend using AOL Instant Messager.

Speaking of Instant Messager, if you are one of those people that like running several of the available IM's (AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo) you know that it can be a real pain in the butt dealing with all those separate programs. Well there is a new, free program out there that runs all 4 clients plus IRC all at the same time, all in one program. It's called Trillian and you can get it http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/. Check it out. I've been running a similar program in Linux for years and it's nice to finally see something like this for Windows. Did I say it was free? I give it three thumbs up!

--- Frank ---

Comment

Working...
                              X