engine heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine heat

Being a "new" owner of a GS850G,, how hot is normal for the engine to be while riding? I took it for a 15 mile ride tonite, when I got back I put a termometer on the engine,, It quit climbing at 280 degrees! Is this normal? I do have a faring on it,, but no noise or anything from engine. Just want to make sure that this is normal!

Thanks, Robin

ps : I do live in Phoenix! 94 degrees when went for ride tonite!

Do you have an oil cooler?????

Comment

No I do not have a oiler cooler,, where can i get one?

Comment

280 DEGREES??

AFTER I MODIFIED MY ENGINE IT DIDNT GET THAT HOT EVEN DURING THE FIRST COUPLE OF HUNDRED MILES OF BREAK IN-- (( POSSIBLY YOUR GUAGE IS OUT OF WACK )) AND THAT WAS PRE OIL COOLER DAYS. OTHERS HAVE POSTED TEMPERATURES THAT ARE USUALLY ON EITHER SIDE OF 212 DEFREES f AND I BELIEVE THAT IS 100 DEG C( I FORGOT THE C CONVERSION ((( ASK NICK HE HAS A FEW OF THOSE BIKES ))

Comment

The GS850G runs hot -- that's OK

I don't know how hot a GS850 runs or should or shouldn't run. It runs hot because it's air-cooled and an in-line four with a high-revving engine that circulates oil at high pressure through the clutch, transmission, top, bottom, etc.

As long as the engine doesn't make weird noises, the engine oil is at the appropriate level, and it starts, idles, accelerates, and holds speed, don't worry about a thing. I owned four successive GS850's, none of which had an oil cooler. Neither does my GS1100GK. One is not absolutely needed.

Just enjoy your 850, the best Japanese shaft-driven standard UJM ever made (except perhaps for the GS1000G or GS1100G.)

Comment

nick

By your reply are you also saying that the 850 g does not have an oil tem guage and while i am posting i am wondering what sort of bike the the person inquiring rode before--these air cooled jobs all feel like you are in a furnace when youstop or slow down and when iride my brother bike with a fairing i feel like i am suffocating--

Comment

Thats why I have highway pegs at the far ends of my engine guards. When its 100+ degrees and a zillion percent (ok 80%) humidity. I can put my feet out and up on them to keep the insides of my legs from looking like a skillet of overcooked bacon. And its faired too. Very hot in the summer. I prefer to ride with a long sleeved shirt with the cuffs open so I can use RAM air to keep my upper body cooler. My engine can get soooooooo hot it knocks under acceleration. I'd love to rig some sort of oil cooler onto it, but don't have the knowledge on how to find one that would fit my bkie.

Comment

Re: nick

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
                By your reply are you also saying that the 850 g does not have an oil tem guage and while i am posting i am wondering what sort of bike the the person inquiring rode before--these air cooled jobs all feel like you are in a furnace when youstop or slow down and when iride my brother bike with a fairing i feel like i am suffocating--

I don't. I've gotten used to it after 16 years on 850's and the GK. It's just the way they are.

Fortunately, I don't live in Florida. In the heat of our midAtlantic summer we ride in the mountains. In early spring and fall we go toward the plains.

Comment

HEAT

Yes i see i didnt take location into consideration

Comment

The oil temp on my bike, with oil cooler, is normally max 180 degree at an ouside temp 50 - 60 degrees, if it's getting hot outside like 75 - 80 degrees outside temp, the oil temp can reach 230 degrees if I drive in traffic jam and a lot of time with idle speed.

At normal driving the oil temp never is higher than 220 dgrees.

Scotty, 100 C equals 212 F 8) 8)

I have an old dos unit converting program for a lot of units (only 246 kByte), if you want i can mail it to you

Comment

Working...
                    X