Most & least popular gs models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most & least popular gs models

Is there a realy rare or more sought after model?????????? I know it's all personal preferance but is there a model that they didn't produce alot of. Dan

My educated guess

My guess for the least popular would be the GS125. The most popular would probably be the GS750 since it was out for a longer time than the highly popular GS1100.

--- Frank ---

Comment

Re: Most & least popular gs models

Originally posted by 1980gs1100l
      Is there a realy rare or more sought after model?????????? I
      There will be many opinions, but the only bike that I have actually hunted for was a '83 GS750e. This was all stimulated by an article in Motorcyclist(1990?) "Power of the Poconos" where several bikes were featured one being an '83 GS750e. I ended up with an "ES" model which I've yet to see another on the road since I purchase the bike 5 years ago and it has been my daily rider for the past 3 years. Although not a GS, but a very rare model would be the '83-86 XN85(?) Turbo, '83 only in the US, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by moto_dan
        Is there a realy rare or more sought after model?????????? I
        There will be many opinions, but the only bike that I have actually hunted for was a '83 GS750e. This was all stimulated by an article in Motorcyclist(1990?) "Power of the Poconos" where several bikes were featured one being an '83 GS750e. I ended up with an "ES" model which I've yet to see another on the road since I purchase the bike 5 years ago and it has been my daily rider for the past 3 years. Although not a GS, but a very rare model would be the '83-86 XN85(?) Turbo, '83 only in the US, I think.
        I agree, Dan, the 83 GS750E/ES is pretty rare (in Colorado, at least). I know that my ES was the only one available for sale in Boulder in 83, and I've only seen one other on the road in 19 years. The E is a little less rare but I've only seen a handful of them over the same time period. I'm not sure why this is, as the 83 GS750E/ES was a class-leading bike and is a definite "80's classic". Perhaps it's because motorcycle sales weren't very good in 83 and, also, the (then) new Honda Interceptor V4 750 was strong sales competition. Interesting, though, that given the significant number of Interceptors sold, you don't see many survivors on the road today.......perhaps all the camshafts broke!!

Simon

Comment

83 750es what is the difference between that and a 80 GS750 e?????

Comment

I say the GS850G

The GS850G must be among the most popular GS bikes, second only (maybe) to the GS750. The 850 goes back to model years 79 through 83 in the US, and it was continued in Yurp for some years after that.

The 850 was Suzuki's first shafty , and it incorporated some of the improvements over earlier European and Japanese shafties such as BMW, Guzzi, Gold Wing, and Yamaha XS750 and XS1100. In other words, Suzuki made it right the first time.

The 850 was state-of-the-art shaft-driven touring bike in late 70's/early 80's. Lots of them around the country, in garages and neglected in barns and sheds -- a most unappreciated motorcycle. I had the pleasure of having owned four of them for a total of 160,000 miles, before buying my GK in late 99. I can't say enough good things about the GS850G.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Alwyn678
              Most everything except the cc's.
              Below are are few off the top of my head. Check out the gallery for some examples.
              New family of engine (ie. smaller physical dimensions)
              Frame is different. Square tubing similiar to '86 GSXR's
              Partial fairing
              Monoshock Aluminum swingarm
              Wheels 16" front 17" rear
              Front forks larger dia. with anti-dive and air adjustments
              Hand bars clamp on forks rather than bolted to top triple

Comment

What about the GS1150EF? They only had a short production run and to tell the truth I don't see many of them around. I know there are lots of E and ES models kicking around.

Don't mind me just ranting.

Comment

Originally posted by Alwyn678
                  Alwyn:

As I recall (and Dan can set me straight), both the 1983 "E" and "ES" were mechanically identical. The main difference was in the fairing, handlebars and paint scheme. For the US market, the "E" had a small 1/4 fairing and came in Red/black or Siver/blue for 1983, the "ES" had a 1/2 fairing, lower bars and only came in white/red (1983). Subsequent US 84 and 85 models were downsized to 700cc (actually 699cc) to duck under a stiff import tariff imposed on larger machines to save H-D.

The most distinctive thing about the 83 GS750 were the changes from prior GS750's. The engine was redesigned to use partial oil cooling (a way station on the road to the GSXR) and lost about 30lbs. weight; ignition was electronic; the chassis and suspension were heavily revised to use a 16" front wheel and mono-shock (the strangely-named "full floater") rear suspension; also air-assisted front forks and anti-dive circuitry, tho' these may have been in some prior models. The frame was significantly stiffer than for prior years and square tubing was used in part, though I think this was for marketing cosmetics rather than functional benefit.
                  The net result was to produce a significantly lighter (469/471 lbs. dry weight for E/ES) and more agile 750, with a high performance (for the time) engine. In terms of acceleration, I seem to remember that the 83 GS750 outperformed 1,000's of previous years. The unfortunate thing for Suzuki was that the 83 intro coincided with the appearance of the Honda Interceptor 750 (V4), which grabbed most of the attention. The Honda made slightly more power (in the mid-range), had better stability at very high speed, but was significantly less agile in the real world and at realistic speeds. The Honda also was not as good looking (though "flashy"), in my opinion, and subsequently suffered from se
                  rious camshaft problems.

This was probably more than you ever wanted to know, Alwyn.

Simon

Comment

Simon,
                    Think you 'bout covered it.

Comment

Originally posted by HankV
                      What about the GS1150EF? They only had a short production run and to tell the truth I don't see many of them around. I know there are lots of E and ES models kicking around.

Don't mind me just ranting.
                      Yep another rare one. I think I've seen one in the past several years. Sure wouldn't mind having one.

Comment

Re: My educated guess

(quote ) My guess for the least popular would be the GS125. The most popular would probably be the GS750 since it was out for a longer time than the highly popular GS1100.

--- Frank

OH I donno, a GS125G might make a great touring machine
                        for the thrify iminded. I'm sure Nick would buy one. :-)

Earl
                        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Is there a realy rare or more sought after model?????????? I know it's all personal preferance but is there a model that they didn't produce alot of. Dan

I dont know that my bike model 79 GS750 is rare or even sought
                          after by most riders, but I looked for about a year for one that
                          was all original with low milage. The reason being that 1979
                          was the last year (read that most perfected) for the two valve
                          750 engine and it was the last year for the roller bearing
                          crankshaft and low pressure, high volume lubrication system.
                          Starting in 1980, the 750 8valve had plain bearings and a high
                          pressure oiling system. Consequently, my feeling is that the
                          79 750 has the most durable engine and all the improvements
                          that came about for it.

Earl

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Oops!, a typo... I meant to say that starting in 1980, the 16 valve
                            750 had plain bearings and a high pressure oiling system.
                            they didnt make an 8 valve engine in 1980 for the 750. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by earlfor

that came about for it.

Earl

Comment

that came about for it.

Earl[/quote]

Good reasons, Earl, but if you can't keep the front wheel on the ground at high speed the rider may not last as long as the engine!!! :twisted:

Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X