Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GAS GUAGE WIRING

Hi,

I am trying to get my gas guage to work on my 1980 GS850GL.
    I took the float assembly out and found some things that needed fixed. it is done and ready to try out to see if the assemble now is in working order. i found no power to the plug-in on the bike. when i traced the wires out (black/white & yellow/black stripe) i found them cut in the head light assemble. well i do not find any thing that it should have been to.
    could anyone tell me what i can wire this to for power. i tried the headlight low beam to be ok (guage worked) but when you use highbeam the guage would shut off with the headlight.
    please could someone tell me what i can patch this too?
    thanks you for your help.
    charly

this is not the greatest answer, and I could answer you exactly if I was in front of my machine.. But you can wire it to the ignition.. so that as soon as you turn power on the guage will have constant power..

I will have an exact answer for you on monday... I believe on my 750 that the power goes to the harness near the battery box on the right hand side.. Give me till monday and I will tell you exactly were on the harness it should go....

Comment

GAS GUAGE

Hi and thanks,

i know where it goes next to the battery box but the wire (yellow & black striped) goes up the frame and into the headlight housing to which it looks like it was cut. i do not find anything that shows what it hooked to in there, but at this point there is no power to the plug-in. i guess if all fails the closest wire for power that would turn off when key is turned off would be the running lights or tail light. i would not think that would do harm correct?

charly

Comment

right... but if I am not mistaken... The fuel guage runs off the key ignition.. so if you can get in the loom and find the output side of the ignition, so there is power when key is on, you r golden.. the lights would be ok too.. just not sure about the load.....can't hurt...I would suggest the taillight since it is always on though.. my bike doesn't have the three element turn signal/running lights..

Comment

gas guage

i tested the guage with power straight from the battery and the guage moved to full so does that mean it would not matter that it is not on the ignition switch?
          charly

Comment

do you have a full tank??? if so.. hook that bad rat up to a switched 12v.. source and ride... just make sure it is switched, ie, not getting 12v all the time...or you'll run the battery down..

Comment

I would go to the dealership and ask them to pull their master wireing dia. book they should have a shop manual showing everthing Suzuki made in 1980 this is what I did for my 82 1100g The clymer book showed a diode in the kick stand side switch well the Suzuki manual did not show any thing of the sort I took it out no problems If by chance they dont have the book any more and its been put to micro . you probably wont be able to read it Call 1 252 977 2191 ask to speak to Jim or Alex These guys cut ther teeth on G. S . bikes they will help you Have a good weekin P S thats Twin County Honda Suzuki in Rocky Mount N. C.

Comment

Hi I think the gas gauge is connected to the 12v side of the front brake light switch Good luck Lynn

Comment

Working...
                X