my regulator modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my regulator modification

I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH THE BONE YARD AND ASKED ABOUT THE HONDA REGULATOR MODIFICATION--THE ONES HE USES ARE FROM HONDA 400 AND 450 TWINS IN THE YEARS OF 1978 TO 1982-THE WIRING IS AS FOLLOWS--THE RED GOES TO THE RED--THE THREE YLLOW WIRES GO TO THE THREE YELLOW WIRES--SAME AS SUZUKI--IF YOU HAVE A GREEN IT GOES TO GROUND-SOME REGULATORS ARE GROUNDED FROM THEIR CASING ((RUN AN EXTRA GROUND WIRE FROM THERE IN THIS INSTANCE)) THE LAST IS EITHER BROWN OR BLACK AND SUPPLYS VOLTAGE TO THE REGULATOR- IT MUST BE HOOKED UP TO A WIRE THAT BECOMES HOT WHEN THE KEY COMES ON--MY MECHANIC SUGGESTED THE TAIL LIGHT WIRE BUT WHATEVER YOU DECIDE WILL WORK--THATS IT

You forgot the green wire. That goes to ground. I put mine directly to the battery. 8)
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

[quote="mcycle-nut"]You forgot the green wire. [quote]

He did! He really did! If you noticed he edited it.... :?
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Here it is Christmas Day and I just found out the following. My 1100 has a 1980 CX500 R/R on it. Yellow wires to the stator, green to ground, red to positive out, and black to nowhere. Some guys say that they need to have the black wire connected to an ignition controlled wire but my bike doesn't have it connected as said above.

Steve

Comment

Regulator/Rectifier

Here in the Uk the Kawasaki gpx250 (around in the late 80s/early 90s) has a reg/rec that will fit most of the models,mine is a gsx 750es 1985 model and wired up no problem,you will have one wire spare off it tho as this went to a volt gauge (i just taped mine out the way) been running it for 10 months and no problems so far,only cost me ?25 with a three month guarantee as they are very reliable,sorry dont know the US model equivelant for the gpx but they made a 600cc as well.

Comment

please explain how the wiring goes for this conversion,what plugs in to what?

Comment

Re: my regulator modification

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
              I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH THE BONE YARD AND ASKED ABOUT THE HONDA REGULATOR MODIFICATION--THE ONES HE USES ARE FROM HONDA 400 AND 450 TWINS IN THE YEARS OF 1978 TO 1982-THE WIRING IS AS FOLLOWS--THE RED GOES TO THE RED--THE THREE YLLOW WIRES GO TO THE THREE YELLOW WIRES--SAME AS SUZUKI--IF YOU HAVE A GREEN IT GOES TO GROUND-SOME REGULATORS ARE GROUNDED FROM THEIR CASING ((RUN AN EXTRA GROUND WIRE FROM THERE IN THIS INSTANCE)) THE LAST IS EITHER BROWN OR BLACK AND SUPPLYS VOLTAGE TO THE REGULATOR- IT MUST BE HOOKED UP TO A WIRE THAT BECOMES HOT WHEN THE KEY COMES ON--MY MECHANIC SUGGESTED THE TAIL LIGHT WIRE BUT WHATEVER YOU DECIDE WILL WORK--THATS IT
              My bike has been hooked up like that for a few years now. No trouble yet. Actually, the Honda mounting holes are an exact fit for my GS1000.

Roman

Comment

It less expensive than any other regulastor mods--lots of folks are afraid of it though

Comment

My bike is a GS850G '82 mod.I have a red wire [allways hot]a white/red stripe,awhite/blue stripe, a light green and a black with white stripe to earth.my stator wires are lt green,white with blue stripe and white with GREEN stripe ?????????? What the f@#k do i do now.Any ideas will be very helpfull

Comment

I replaced the worn stator and the reg rec checked out perfectly.Thankyou to all the people who sent me ideas.Happy riding folks

Comment

My reg rec died within a day of replacing the stator.I have since used the GPX replacement.Thankyou Ade for your help,It now charges like never before. 8)

Comment

I put a used 1980 KZ1000 regulator on
                        my 1980 GS1000. Holes lined up perfectly.
                        Works great... best of all $7.00 on ebay

Peace
                        Mo

Comment

Just put a R/R from an 83 Honda 400-something on my GS1000, and it works like a charm! 20 bucks from a local used bike parts dealer.

Only thing I had to do was replace the connectors with bullet connectors.

The old R/R was putting off between 6-10 volts. (I checked all connections - I wish it would have been that easy and cheap). The new R/R puts out a nice 14.5 volts

Comment

Reviving this thread.

I hear that the Honda parts to use are from CBs 78-82. I have a 1976 CB550 to be parted out. Should that RR work?

Michael

Comment

mmmkay. Installed the RR from a 1976 Honda CB550 Four. I showed 11.9V at idle and 12.some at 5000 rpm. Too low. However, I'm sure that my battery was not fully charged so I am presently charging it. Will test again later.

Comment

Working...
                              X