progressive suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

progressive suspension

Recently purchased badly needed shocks for my 80 gs850gt from www.accwhse and was very happy with the service and improvement to comfort, not as happy as my passenger. Progressive heavy duty series 412 chrome ran a little over 200$ but my bike is no longer ripping itself apart on bumps. My only complaint is the lame decal that progressive puts on the shock, its impossible to get off but can be turned in so you can't see them!

suspension

Scott,
    Good move,did you do up your front end whislt about it? If you think it rides good now wait till you got both taken care of! My old 850GN rides much better than my "modern" TL 1000. Considering we are on almost antiques you may want to take a lllo at the steering ead bearings and the wheel bearings too! It is really amazing what throwing alittle money at one of these old bikes can do, what they dont have in blinding speed they more than make up for in their handling and ride. Take care....

Rodm850G

Comment

I agree. Sorting the front end makes it ride fantastically over all sorts of roads with great comfort. On the rear I invested in some fournales (French) straight air shocks some 20 years ago. They are due for an oil change to restore a little lost damping action but are still quite ok for normal use and do not get out of shape ever!. Before that I went through 3 sets of shocks.

Comment

I agree on the front end. I have prog. springs up front (35/55) and I used the upper tubes from an 82 750T with the lower tubes from an 81 750E. that gives me 1" shorter forks. My head angle is steeper which makes it steer great and gives an inch of built in preload. I also added 3 washers in each leg and now I can ride with no air pressure! Fantastic ride, no bottoming, and quick steering....

Comment

suspention upgrades are next on my extensive to do list so I am glad to hear you positive comments on Progressive. Just wish they weren't so costly!
          GY

Comment

I replaced "old" Progessive shocks with new ones this year.
            WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
            Being a large person, and my wife likes to ride with me, I went
            for the heavy springs. Special order of 210 spring rates..
            By myself I leave them on the lowest click, with my wife only 1 click up.
            She says they make a huge difference. Lots smoother on the expansion joints. Next is the front end. I did replace the fish oil with some 20 weight.
            I run about 6 lbs in the front and a steering brace and damper.
            The Dunlop GT501's also helped.
            I really like these tires, they wear very well. I did about 6,000 miles on them this year, and they are just starting to show some wear.
            I did a 350 mile days thru Vermont and it handled like a dream.
            My wife and I did about 330 up thru New Hampshire, she said her back felt fine and didn't get numb bum until we were about 10 miles from home.
            This is on a GS1000S.
            I have a friend here in MA that runs a small parts shop.
            He's very reasonable, if you want his number, email me.

Keith
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

KGB wrote
              I did a 350 mile days thru Vermont and it handled like a dream
              Hey Keith, next time you head up Vermont way let us know and we can try to get a couple of us together. 8)
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
              X