Checking oil level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking oil level

Seems like I read somewhere on this site that you check the engine oil level with the bike on the sidestand...this seems odd. It would seem like the centerstand would always give a more consistent reading. I don't have a manual so I'm not sure.

HI tim . I don`t know how you can check oil level on the side stand, the only way i check my 1100 is on the center stand, on level ground .Make sure oil is between the low & high lines on sighting window( closer to high mark) i hope that helps. cheers steve(Blow Fly). 8)

Comment

Sidestand Oil Check

I DONT REMEMBER EVER READING THAT YOU CHECK OIL ON THE SIDE STAND--BUT IT CAN BE DONE--WHEN ON THE SIDESTAND (((ON MY BIKE ))))) IF I CAN SEE OIL JUST PEEKING INTO THE SIGHT GLASS THEN I KNOW THAT WHEN THE BIKE IS LEVEL THE OIL WILL BE ABOUT 3/4 BETWEEN THE TWO OIL LEVEL MARKS--I GUESS THAT IT DEPENDS ON WHERE THE SIGHT GLASS IS ON YOUR MODEL BIKE--THE NORMAL WAY IS ALWAYS BEST THOUGH

Comment

The book probably says, "both wheels on level ground, not on the stand". That is the only thing that makes sense to me. Even the centre stand leaves the bike to rock forward or back.

Kim

Comment

Oil level

Definately put the bike on the centrestand. If it rocks forward, don't worry, it wont affect the reading . As long as you can see oil in the window, between the upper and lower marks, you're OK.

Comment

Also make sure ( yea, I know, common sense) that you check it either completely cold (i.e. overnight), or about 30 minutes after its last run. this gives the oil the chance to drain down completely to the crankcase.

Comment

I usally use the centerstand (held down with my foot) to ensure that my bike is sitting level (left to right) and not actually put the bike on it. Difference between having the bike on the centerstand or not is less than 1/4 quart.

Comment

Oil level

This is what the original Suzuki Service Manual says about the engine oil level for a 1982 GS1100G while doing an oil change :
                - keep the motorcycle upright, supported on the center stand.
                - drain oil
                - oil change WITH new filter : 3.3L (3.49 US qt) SAE 10W/40
                - oil change WITHOUT filter replaced : 3.0L (3.17 US qt)
                - overhauled engine : 3.7L (3.91 US qt)
                - start up the engine and allow it to run for several seconds at idle speed.
                - turn off the engine and wait for about one minute, then check the oil level through the inspection window. IF THE LEVEL IS BELOW MARK 'F', SUPPLY OIL TO THAT LEVEL.

Digno
                1982 GS1100G

Comment

Working...
                X