What to carry for roadside fixes ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to carry for roadside fixes ??

What do you all consider essential on-bike tools & equipment for roadside fixes?

Roadside Fixes

I THINK IT GREATLY DEPEND ON WEATHER OR NOT YOU HAVE SADDLE BAGS --A UNIVERSAL METRIC WRENCH OR 2 A SCREW DRIVER WITH INTERCHANGEABLE TIPS AND POSSIBLY SOME TIRE INFLATOR--I DONT KEEP ANYTHING EXCEPT SOME PLASTIC MONEY AND DO TONS OF MAINTENANCE CONSTANTLT WHEN AT HOME--MY NEXT MOVE WILL BE A CELL PHONE THOUGH

Comment

Saddlebags aka giant junk holders!

Big YES on saddlebags - I commute to work (20 miles) and to ride my horse (30 miles) so I have to carry lots of changes of clothes, boots, horse equipment, dress clothes (hard to believe...) etc to "remake" myself at my destination. Plenty of room to carry stuff.

Comment

Tools

IM JEALOUSE BECAUSE YOU RIDE HORSES--I HAVENT BEEN ON ONE IN 40 YEARS BUT USE TO LIVE ON HACKS WHEREVER I COULD FIND A STABLE- MAYBE YOU COULD TOW A TRAILER WITH ONE OF THOSE LITTLE HORSES--IT SEEMS TO ME THAT DOING FIXES ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD ARE ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE- I ALWAYS RODE WITH MY OLD BUDDY BIGDADDY AND HE COULD CHANGE A FLAT WITH A SCREW DRIVER IN 15 MINUTES-- I GUESS I WOULD KEEP A SET OF METRIC WRENCHES-THE SCREW, DRIVER AND THE FLAT INFLATOR--BUT THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR THE BIKE BEING IN GOOD CONDITION OR DONT USE IT--ONLY MY OPINION

Comment

I carry 2 wrenches a 12mm and a 10mm, two sizes of phillips screw drivers, a small adjustable, two allen keys, a spark plug wrench and a multitool. (most of it came with my first GS1150 as a part of the bike in a neat little bag under the rear seat.)

I guess it comes down to what you think you would need.

Comment

I would throw some fuses in with HankVs tool kit, and he's right it all comes down to what you need. Experience will tell you that.

Comment

One thing to make sure of is BEFORE you ride, make sure the battery connections are CLEAN & TIGHT!! when you service them, don't even think about using a screwdriver to tighten them, use a ten millimeter socket and crank it down. I found that out the hard way the first time I rode mine. Solves ALOT of problems. Hope that helps!

Comment

Definitely a selection of fuses, especially those little glass ones. If you've even had to decide which of the lights / horn / indicators / you don't need to get home and start swapping the remaining fuses around, you'll know what I mean.

A few feet of wire and some temporary connectors are a good idea too.

I carry a very basic kit normally - 10 and 12mm spanners, small pliers, reversible screwdriver, tyre inflator, small adjustable spanner for locknuts and a small Maglite. If I were going on a long journey, I'd carry a lot more - things like plug spanners and tools for wheel removal and maybe spare cables if I have them. Look around the bike and try to imagine what might go wrong and what could you fix on the side of the road (snapped cables, broken wiring, things falling off). Then try to pack the tools you think you need and are able to carry.

Comment

Good tips from all. Besides the basic tools and fuses, I also carry a spare chain link for the drive chain, cotter pins (split pins) of various sizes, plastic wire ties, some electrical wire and pvc electrical tape. It's amazing what roadside "bodge" fixes can be done with the last few items, and they don't take much room. I also carry a spare key taped to a concealed place on my bike. Overall, I agree with Scotty's comments about maintenance (an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, etc.).

Simon

Comment

One more item

Originally posted by Simon Waters
                    Good tips from all. Besides the basic tools and fuses, I also carry a spare chain link for the drive chain, cotter pins (split pins) of various sizes, plastic wire ties, some electrical wire and pvc electrical tape. It's amazing what roadside "bodge" fixes can be done with the last few items, and they don't take much room. I also carry a spare key taped to a concealed place on my bike. Overall, I agree with Scotty's comments about maintenance (an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, etc.).

Simon
                    I forgot to say that I also carry an assortment of metric nuts, bolts and washers. It's a pain if you lose one in the roadside debris when doing a quick fix and don't have anything to replace it with.

Simon

Comment

I also agree with Scotty. Preventative maintenance is the best. Still, you can't predict what might happen on the road. I carry prtty much all that is listed above, including the cell phone, and at least a quart of water. Plus I carry 2 quarts of oil. Came in really handy when the front of my valve cover gasket blew out.

Comment

Spares

THAT SETTLES IT IM BUYING AN OLD HORSE TRAILER TO TOW BEHIND MY BIKE AND NICK WILL SELL ME A GOOD RUNING SHAFTIE TO KEEP IN THE TRAILER JUST IN CASE

Comment

Working...
                        X