X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CYL 3&4 are COLD! No Power Please help.

Hi,

Cyl 1&2 are hot. 1&2 ex. pipes are hot.

3&4 are cold. 3&4 Plugs are cold to the touch.

All plugs have spark. All plugs are black. 1&2 are dry. 3&4 are wet.

Please help.

Tim

Sounds like you might have some stuck floats.It might be to much fuel in those two cylinders.Hope its not blow by. I would definatly clean the plugs.
    Can you tell if its fuel or oil on them?

Comment

Does the bike run, if so what does it run like at idle and open throttle, does it have any power in gear?

The problem could be anything from glogged fuel lines, stuck floats, shot rings and so on.

Is there any gas in your oil? Blue smoke out the exhaust? Does the throttle linkage on the carbs move freely? What about the choke? Are there any kinks in your fuel lines?

Comment

Dead cylinders

Yes. The fact that they are wet is the reason they are not firing. Clean them up, dry them, see if it fires. Your plugs shouldn't be black, that indicates a rich mixture. Maybe thats why 3 and 4 are soaked. Check your carbs out, check your plug leads, swap your coils over (although this doesn't sound like the problem, but eliminate it anyway). My first thought is its an electrical fault, so I would check the ignition system first, then sort out your mixture.

Comment

OK, I've got some answers

Hi,

Thank you everyone for your input. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I had the number 3 and 4 wires crossed! Once I made them right the bike ran pretty good. All four cyl firing, all four exh pipes hot. Definately has a slow idle problem. The idle likes to climb as it gets hotter and hotter. Lots and lots of blue smoke out of the exhaust at first. But then after a good ride, no more smoke.

The bike had been sitting for a year. 3 gallons of gasoline in the crankcase, seeping out of the cam chain tensioner seal.

I now have a Pingle valve. Carbs do not leak. Oils seals replaced, no oil seepage anywhere.

Bike starts pretty good with choke. Takes a while to warm. Runs like a race bike under half throttle and seems to get better with more throttle.

I think at this point I should replace the plugs and start taking plug readings. Agreed?

Sincerely,

Tim

Comment

Where the coils bolt up check and make sure they are groundedreally good I used a flap sander on a drill to clean the mounting surfaces also check the connections my 821100g has spade teriminals that face the front while my 1100ex has leads coming out of the coils and face toward the rear Those on the ex havent ever given any trouble also check your plug boots they will burn the ends where they screw on good luck

Comment

Working...
            X