Rust on frame and crap removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust on frame and crap removal

My frame has tiny wee spots of rust - how do I go about arresting these cancers so they don't eat my frame? Sand, prime, paint? Any specific products or fave paints?

Also, I'm embarassed to admit that I'd rather spend time RIDING than BUFFING my bike so it looks a bit scruffy (maybe that's why no one notices my bike that and it's not a Hardley) ... time to remedy that. Is it OK to take it to a carwash and blast the crap off? And what about engine degreaser? Can that stuff cause any trouble?

Hi,
    I bought some degreaser in a white spray(Gunk engine degreaser?) can and I swear to God it was just compressed diesel fuel. Anyway, I used it on my bicycle and it only took the grease off of the frame, not the paint. Steve

Comment

rust and crap removal

"GUNK" engine degreaser is definately the stuff to use. Spray it on, brush it in, wait for 10 mins then hose/brush it off. Maybe give it a second go. Its great stuff. As for rust, rub down the rust or cut it out if its bad, fill the hole with fibreglass, or weld, or whatever your prefered method is then, before you paint it, I would recommend you use a product called "Curerust". You just paint it on as a primer, the rusty metal turns blue (allegedly stabalising) then you pain it. I used it on an old VERY corroded Harris 4-2-1 I am using, then painted the downpipes in exhaust black. It works a treat, no coorosion in 12 months, I'll get a few more miles out of it yet ....

Comment

I used that on a previous gs I had and it does work great, but I would not recomend using it to much. It can cause the gaskets to swell, and if you already have a leak (and thats why you would use it more than once) it will efect that gasket.Dan

Comment

If you take it to a car wash do not put the wand near the swing arm bearings water will find its way in and get traped . You can use a drill and a flap sander attachment from Ace Hardware they come in different grits I would use 180 it does a great job then just prime and repaint the rough spots . I hope helps. Richard

Comment

Working...
          X