new grips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new grips

I am getting some new grips this week and was wondering if there is any special tips or tricks for installation. I know it can't be hard, but it is something I haven't done before!

Hi,

You could try to use an aircompressor to pop off the old grips. Don't worry if you don't have one available because it isn't a big deal to cut off the grips instead.

More importantly you can wrap some thin bailing wire around the new grips near both ends. To hold on the wire just twist it around a whole bunch like when you twist electrical wires together. People with dirtbikes do this all the time so the grips don't loosen off of the bar.

Steve

Comment

The easy way to remove the grips is to just cut them off with a box cutter.Some people say to use hair spray to glue them back on.I have tried that and had no luck with them not slipping. The best way i have found is to use TIRE PATCH GLUE. It works wonders and the grips will not slip at all. Just soak the handlebar and grips with tire patch glue and slide them on the bars. Slide them on quick or the glue will dry to quick.

Comment

I used hair spray onmy grips and it worked fine.Just had to clean off the bar fist.I guess what works for some doesn't always work for all.

Comment

The VO5 hairspray works really good. I've also been told that upholstry cemet works. I haven't tried it but I've used it to repair headliners in cars and trucks. Very sticky and it comes in a areosol can.

Comment

Another thing that works good is weatherstripping cement from 3M Cheap and very effective.

Comment

hairspray rules my grips dont budge

Comment

New Grips

First of all, I just replaced my grips because the old ones were slipping and wearing through. I bought ProGrips foam cruiser grips for 7/8in bars for 11.95 a pair. All I had to do was lube the inside of the grip and the handlebars with soapy water, and they slid on and 24 hrs later wouldn't budge. Tire patch glue (AKA Rubber cement) is what the previous owner of my bike used on the clutch hand, and it worked allright for a little while, just long enough for me to buy the bike and get a safe distance away, and the rubber cement broke free of itself. when that stuff dries, it really just turns into rubber, and that rubber seems to not stay together all that well, but the progrips from Dennis Kirk won't budge. I don't know, but any grip that sticks with soapy water and won't move is good in my book, even if the throttle grip was very difficult to get on...(I used a LOT of soapy water on that one) Hope this helps ~Ben Reilly

Comment

Working...
                X